Hello,

I decided on these when the GB was first suggested :D since then whirlybirds have made life easier and issued an aftermarket set specifically for one of the aircraft I want to build.

Not sure when I'll get to start or how much time I'll get but will see how things go.

Two builds, in tandem so I'll keep them both here.

First up is an Bell 205 used by Bristow helicopters to transport land rigs around Indonesia. Don't have much more info that that at the moment but the decal set is from S&M (SSM72-007 civil choppers) and the kit will be Italeri's UH-1D.

28684201731_af7bf477e2_z.jpg

second is G-BALZ. AB212 used by Bristows in the North sea (around the Brent Oil field during the 1980s into the early 90s I think?) It spent some time based on the treasure finder as well. I'll post some links at a later date with photos of both aircraft. Italeri AB212 kit with, as mentioned, whirlybirds G-BALZ set which includes resin parts, some PE and decals for G-BALZ in 3 schemes. I also have the Eduard PE set for the 212 as well.

28729942376_4f30bc338e_z.jpg

cheers for looking

• Like 10

Thanks Andrew,

The Civvie decal sheets have a nice selection; I also have part 2 which is equally nice - not used them yet so hopefully they settle nice and easy.

Surprisingly I have found time to make a start. Painting is not an option at present so my Djinn and base for the vignette GB have been put on hold until things get a bit easier at home. Instead, I managed more than a few hours each evening and a bit during the day on Sunday, gluing bits together.

I'll post some update photos but the 212 interior is almost built up (came together rather quickly) and I made a start on the 205 yesterday: used Eduard PE for hobby boss UH-1B set (I had bought this for an AB204B that I'm building but I ended up using the CMK resin interior, which is great BTW, so a lot of the interior PE was unused).

I've also been reading up a little further on the two aircraft.

The scheme G-BALZ will be completed in would more than likely been based on the Safe Gothia rather than the the treasure finder. The treasure finder was based around the Brent's in the late seventies, early eighties and more likely G-BALZ would still have B.E.A.S (British Executive Air Services) script present. The Safe Gothia, was a scale down in operations compared the the Treasure finder; only 2 aircraft based on board compared to around 5 on the 'finder. The safe Gothia replaced the treasure finder and served the Brent field into the nineties. I've had the pleasure (well maybe not pleasure) of the Safe Bristolia and Caledonia but not the Gothia.

VR-BCN was one of the two first civilian Bell 205 to go into service at Rumbai/Duri in May 1968. The two aircraft still had Bermudan registration but eventually VR-BCN was re-registered as PK-HBA.

Due to the Vietnam war and requirements for US aircraft, these two aircraft where fitted with the engine from a bell 204. VR-BCN only had a short service history as in 1969 it crashed and was written off.

• Like 1

Update:

G-BALZ AB212:

for those interested some info regards Bristows involvement on the Safe Gothia http://www.helitavia.com/Skyweaver/bases_safegothia.htm

also loads of Bristow photos here http://www.pprune.org/rotorheads/287207-bristow-photos.html and a thread on G-BALZ here http://www.pprune.org/rotorheads/280743-g-balz.html

The kit builds up quite nicely. The white bits are filler from where I incorrectly measured the holes for the seats. Couple of bits to add then ready for priming.

28767337101_df8a587be8_z.jpg

seats, sanded of the seat belts and added the PE. look okay to me.

28225860264_94a45ed346_z.jpg

the resin seats from the whirlybirds kit are the same as the Italeri (ESCI) 205 kit. As I won't be using the seats from my kit and the resin is brittle (note one of the head rests has fallen off due to my clumsy fingers), I thought I'd leave the resin ones for another build. I replaced the legs with thinner plastic rod.

28228333113_81b0971f43_z.jpg

and a dry fit of everything

28738352462_69065d768f_z.jpg

VR-BCN Bell 205

Some nice photos of this aircraft during its time in Duri (these where before it was re-registered as PK-HBA) http://www.pprune.org/5556385-post1275.html

some info about Bristows involvement in Indonesia http://www.helitavia.com/Skyweaver/bases_duri.htm

and one colour photo showing the early colour scheme but after being registered as PK-HBB (formerly VR-BCO - the other Bell 205) http://www.pprune.org/8106115-post2082.html

as for the model: I cut off the centre panel as it was the wrong shape and replaced it with one from an Italeri UH-1B kit that I had spare.

28582554660_a8ca3e9cb3_z.jpg

28867089555_801ff04a04_z.jpg

I have some left over pieces from the Eduard Hobby boos UH-1B PE set which I decided to use on this kit.

28867091335_086bdfc8fb_z.jpg

and this is where I'm at: I'm not happy with he seats so may replace them with some UH-1B kit ones (modified slightly though)

28582549130_9e3aea5971_z.jpg

thanks for looking

Cheers

Aaron

• Like 8

They're coming along nicely Aaron.

To be honest, I can't see the point of faffing with those resin crew seats. They look like a direct copy of the kit parts, and no real improve, but the hassle of brittle resin.

Keep up the good work.

Edited by S5 modeller
  • Like 1

Thanks Guys,

Ray, according to scalemates it is a reboxing of the Esci "AB205 Transport" kit which was from 1981. I've never built this kit before, but it felt different and not as 'italeri' as other kits I've built, if that makes sense?

It seems okay and has recessed panel lines but lacks rivet detail (but some prefer that). The skids are quit thick, but I like how the doors come as separate pieces so easier to pose as doors open kit. I've read about issues with the sliding doors, the windows are different sizes which is correct for some US versions apparently. I'm building this with the doors removed That isn't a concern for me.

Ive never built the Hasegawa kit, but I believe Revell re-boxed it; I started a Revell kit but ended up using the fuselage as a paint mule.

• Like 3

No change on the AB212.

Some progress on the 205. From the photos linked above, the interior is pretty bare and stripped out (to reduce weight and improve lifting capabilities I would imagine). I tried to replicate this with plastic card as can bee seen here.

28281472594_ae8d8e8c32_z.jpg

sorry, quite dark in the kitchen so the photo quality is poor. The kit comes with quilted padding detail so this was sanded off. some sections where quite hard to reach so I coated them in Tamiya liquid cement. Won't really know how that will look until theres some primer on.

Quite pleased and surprised at how quick this all went. Tried a dry fit and looks okay but I think I will widen the holes by the doors.

28898866625_09468dcfb2_z.jpg

28283802753_90f1339ccc_z.jpg

I'm very tempted to try and replicate this photo http://s967.photobucket.com/user/skyweaver100/media/CPIDuri3.jpg.html

I have some PJ production civilian pilots and a 20ft (in 1/72 scale!!!) resin container kit that I could cut down to reduce the size. :hmmm::banghead:

Thanks for looking

Cheers

Aaron

• Like 7

You're making great progress with this one Aaron :goodjob: As always you've chosen some interesting subjects and the added details are being beautifully rendered.

• Like 1

I'm learning a lot here. About helicopter modelling and about Bristows too. It's all fascinating stuff. Can't believe how quickly this one has gone together :o!

:goodjob:

Best regards

Tony

• Like 1

Thank you very much guys,

I'm quite interested in Oil & gas aviation, especially around The North East of Scotland; I have a list of aircraft I would like to build but it will take time. I use PPrune a lot for inspiration as you can find some beautiful and fascinating photographs of helicopters. I'm learning a lot too Tony, which for me is another great part of this hobby.

Thanks Nigel,

Been working on the 212 interior today (and yesterday) and reckon thats it ready for primer :)

A while back I picked up some info about the interior fit of the BEAS 212's on the Treasure finder; which should be the same as the Bristow ones as they where the same aircraft.

in the port well there was usually a 20usg tank with two cushion seats on top and in the starboard well, usually another 20usg tank with seats or a 90usg tank with no seats. Sometimes, but very rarely, two 90 gallon tanks where fitted. I decided to fit two 20usg tanks.

Here they are, made from plastic card. I've not worked out the equivalent volume in 1/72 scale: just used the height of the kit troop seats as a guide.

28305750273_30b7d45d89_z.jpg

I've also added some further details to the forward facing seats. the kit vertical support bars (?) were far too thick in my opinion. The Bell 205 kit offerings where slightly better (and its an older kit) but still didn't look right to me. Instead I opted for plastic rod (0.5mm I think, can't remember now?). I added some of the PE designed for the kit part but used it to replicate some sort of support bracket. The plastic sleeving is to try and represent some protective padding. Health and safety at work act and all that...

28845597791_7d652ec546_z.jpg

to add some interest to the quilted padding, I thought I'd add some cargo slings. copper wire and aluminium tape. Probably not authentic but looks interesting.

28321066734_26016fce5f_z.jpg

and here's a dry fit with it all together. Note the cushions on the 20 gallon tanks, made from milliput.

28939575725_6ab08a3126_z.jpg

28939574185_461ce13f2d_z.jpg

and a final shot with the roof on28907659776_ee6746efd9_z.jpg

there will be a life raft fitted but that will be later on...

Thanks for looking

Cheers

Aaron

• Like 3

Nice start on the 205...the cargo rings look just about perfect. Usually see the side areas (where you've added your milliput seats) covered with cargo covered with netting but that's for fire crews so different than your build.

Definitely coming along smooth with many of the initial small touches in progress.

Cheers,

foresterab

• Like 1