Sunken 1/72 A6M2 Zero

I wanted to try my hand at a sunken plane so I'm using the old Hasegawa 1/72 A6M2 type 11. I cut of the control surfaces so I can scratch the ribs. I envision the fabric deteriorated in this sunken scene.
After my experience with my last resin build, I’m making a box from Styrofoam and balsa wood. I’m sealing it with acrylic gel to keep the resin from leaking past the frame and eating away the Styrofoam.
H1Cf0f.jpg
This is what I have. Of course most of this will be covered in sand, silt and marine life anyway and all you will see is a hint of structure.
bwL7NZ.jpg
I completed scratching the control surfaces and adding some detreating fabric. I placed it in the base to check the look.
RQj4UM.jpg
Db3DQa.jpg
I painted the entire surface with a greenish hue. I will add some silt to the frame and repaint. The seafloor ill also be a greenish color. That should be interesting with turquoise colored water, but before I add the resin I will add some coral and other sea life, maybe even add a fish or two.
I also made a larger base, I was not happy with the size of the other one.
M6Ab33.jpg
RglSM9.jpg
I added some silt to the sea floor by pouring thinned Mod Podge and spreading it.
5v5Ayh.jpg
3BtAz5.jpg
And again.
mK86X6.jpg
Then I glued down the plane, added some color, sea life and sprinkled some Woodlands green over the entire base.
ammfdN.jpg
g6ehnE.jpg
NXXGeT.jpg
C6HoZM.jpg
dcHcqQ.jpg

sEmNFB.png

"The old sunken dilapidated Japanese Zero on the bottom of the ocean floor trick!"

Here is where you have to be willing to screw up the entire project. The first layer turned out darker than I wanted, I'm thinking because I used too much dye and the dirt turned dark as soon as it was wet. I did notice though that everything seems to be settling down to the bottom which is good, though I doubt the bottom will get any lighter. This may take quite a bit of resin which is one reason I started out with a smaller base at first.

The subsequent layers will be lighter, and I think the reflection makes it look darker than it is.

mQWksK.jpg

I painted over the dark areas with green to bring out the build and lighten parts of the sea floor. Now that the seafloor is the color it’s going to stay, I will add some more resin. A nice calming blue should do.
kETO2A.jpg 6zjJJ3.jpg
I added another layer. Once this is dry I add another tomorrow.
3q8fRt.jpg
Edited by Bitzer
  • Like 23

Thanks guys, I'm a total sucker for this stuff too. I love shows such as Nat Geo's "Drain the Ocean", that just intrigues me.

My intent was and is doing this for a Pearl Harbor group build I'm a part of in another forum. While this is a type 11 and not a type 21, the only exterior differences were the folding wingtips of the type 21. You can't tell the difference other than that, and the dilapidated condition as well as the silt hides any other differences.

There were 9 Zeros that did not make it back to their carriers and as well as 15 Vals and 5 Kates. The fate of most of these aircraft were known however there were a few which were MIA during their return. I haven't found any decisive info on whether all the Zeros crashed on land.

I need to figure out what I will do for some fish without making them look silly and out of place.

• Like 2

Neat idea, very nicely done. Is the rippling effect something you've had to consciously do, or is it a natural consequence of using that particular goo? I'd love to know how you achieved it!

• Like 1

Thanks guys,

Where did you get the fish from?

​Ahh, that took some searching. They are actually seeds from a decorative plant in our yard. I removed them from the plant and trimmed away anything that didn't look like a fish. I then painted them silver and orange. I did not pattern them after any fish I know of, I just grabbed some paints that looked good.

• Like 2

Clive,

I'm sorry, I don't see my response to your inquiry. The "goo" is Polyester Resin. The rippling effect is a result of adding about twice the amount of hardener to the mix. This turns out to be advantageous. I will use a hair dryer on cold as the last layer dries so I can "whip" up more swells. The main problem with using resin is the incredible sench. I have to mix it, pour it and let it dry outdoors.

• Like 1

Superb Bitzer! Reminds me very much of that pictorial Nat Geo magazine did of all the submerged Japanese aircraft and ships in Truk lagoon, some time in the late 70s/early 80s. There's something deeply other-wordly and spectral about aircraft underwater.

Keep up the good work.

Tony

Mr Hale, it's nice to have you look in! Thank you.

Alxzinbox, thank you! I fretted over how I was going to accomplish the ribbing untill I sat down and just did it. It's funny how I imagine things to be tougher that they really are.

TheBaron, yes, underwater subjects just seem surreal. Like the Musashi Wreck I did in 2015, very erie.

K0sjPx.jpgALEI2p.jpg

A quick update on the Zeke. The frame of the base was not behaving like I wanted. I poured the risen in shallow layers and thought if anything the sides would budge out. Did you know resin shrinks? Much to my chagrin, after a few days of hardening the sides of my base were collapsing inward.

While I was working on the U-boat, the fix came me. I will remove the sides, file down the rough resin edges, and replace the sides with a thicker wood frame. The last layer of resin should fill in the gap along the walls where you won't notice.

Well at least the resin on this build is turning out outstanding and the base is giving me fits. My last resin build (the Rufe)

Wi8Pnt.jpgeHMIhf.jpg

the resin was giving me fits.

My next resin build (?) should be perfect...I hope.

pl0I3B.jpg siLW0Q.jpg

Bowed sides.

XgTRzA.jpg 3kMXY5.jpg

Now the next pics should be finished pics....I hope.

P.S. Honestly, I build other subjects other than water related!

• Like 5

I’m finished with the Zeke. Because of the larger size of the base I used more resin than I wanted, but the smaller base wouldn’t have looked as good.

Comments and critiques welcome.

smGkho.jpg

NKRVtM.jpgP0A56B.jpg

wBBmKQ.jpg

GtwXcv.jpg3NAvah.jpg

Mhhcoc.jpg

SqAb45.jpg

• Like 15