Junkers W.34 Floatplane - 1/72 MPM

Here's one that's been in "half-finished-hell" for about 4 years.

IMG_5631_zpsh9sgfskx.jpg

If I recall, the kit went together really well apart from the struts for the floats. This was so fiddly and complicated I kept putting it off until the kit went half-finished into a shoe-box for years. Anyway over the last couple of months I bit the bullet and completed it in Norwegian colours, simply because I don't have any model of that nationality.

Decals were a complete nightmare and disintegrated upon hitting the water. A coat of Klear sorted that out, but the carrier film didn't bed down well into the corrugated finish of the surfaces and is still fairly visible unfortunately. Because some of the codes were ruined (the "DAB" letters) I fettled some stencils out of Tamiya masking tape and sprayed new codes on.the underside - they came out well, but it was so time-consuming.

Flory's wash was applied to make aircraft look a bit "used", but it made the thing look so filthy I had to remove most of it. Anyway it's done, thank goodness.

Here are a few pics (hastily taken I'm afraid):

IMG_5625_zpsv1mdquhp.jpg

IMG_5627_zpscgkyuxch.jpg

IMG_5628_zpsbvgxqgat.jpg

IMG_5629_zps0i71lf6c.jpg

IMG_5630_zps5zihf3ri.jpg

Not one of my triumphs, I have to say. Actually the close-up photos show up every blemish - on the shelf it looks OK.

• Like 27

It looks good to me, at least as you say, it is finished. I have two versions of this MPM kit but fortunately (or unfortunately as the case may be) both are land planes. Your build has inspired me to take another look..

Trev.

Very nice indeed and I like the Norwegian scheme too.

I did my landplane in captured RAF markings here; http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234967649-172nd-mpmspecial-hobby-junkers-w34-in-captured-raf-2nd-taf-markings/?hl=junkers

great stuff,

Tony

• Like 1

It looks good to me, at least as you say, it is finished. I have two versions of this MPM kit but fortunately (or unfortunately as the case may be) both are land planes. Your build has inspired me to take another look..

Trev.

Good luck with your builds. As I said, most of it went together OK for a short run kit. The exhaust stacks are difficult to locate in the correct place, so take care with these. Test any spare decals on the sheet first - yours might be OK; mine were terrible.

Thats rather nice! I like unusual stuff like this,

Cheers

John

Thanks John,

Yes, I like the odd-looking aircraft too; so much more interesting to build, though they usually present you with more headaches!

Very nice indeed and I like the Norwegian scheme too.

I did my landplane in captured RAF markings here; http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234967649-172nd-mpmspecial-hobby-junkers-w34-in-captured-raf-2nd-taf-markings/?hl=junkers

great stuff,

Tony

Thanks. Great to see your kit in RAF markings. Love they way you represented the painted out Luftwaffe markings.

• Like 1

P.S. to my previous post - if you would like to see mine (actually two of them) - they were here

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234969396-junkers-w-34-hau-mpm-and-k-43-converted-from-mpm-172/

First set of photos is in a poor light, there is a second set in daylight if you scroll page down...

The kit is rather challaging, as I remember... - you made a great job :)

Regards

Jerzy-Wojtek

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
  • 1 month later...
On 5/9/2020 at 2:07 AM, Moa said:

Nice model!

On 5/9/2020 at 7:17 AM, Wulfman said:

You battled and you won, great work on a very interesting subject.

Wulfman

Holy resurrection! You gave dragged this post up from the past. Thanks for your comments. Haven't modelled for a couple of years - but I remember this one being a pig to complete!

• Haha 1