Bristol Beaufort Mk I - Special Hobby 1/72

CedB

I am impressed how you have battled your way through this kit Ced.

She has taken shape quite nicely not withstanding all those little problems that have arisen.

Are you going to spray some interior green over the glass work first?

Simon.

Thanks Simon, very kind :) I paint the canopy IG by brush as I like to see where there may be any problems... like the slipped masking you can see in the photo above, now corrected!

Navy Ced!

Oh Cookie, too kind :)

I want that on my tombstone.

PC that rather reminds me of a (possibly apocryphal) RAF Officer's Confidential Report:

"This officer sets himself low standards which he consistently fails to achieve."

:D Goes with the reference for useless workers "You'll be lucky if you get this man to work for you"!

Nice job on it all Ced; top down wings on shot had to be satisfying.

I could leave a story about what someone once said about my Epitaph, but PC's sentiment pretty well gives you a clear idea of the concept. :)

• Like 1

' Beauforty ' I wonder what the Uxbridge English Dictionary definition is for that?

I can' tell from the last picture wether you've glazed the landing lights. I have a roll of Sellotape 'Diamond' tape which is very thin and extremely clear, I have used it in the past for such things, and it does not tarnish or deteriorate in any way.

Looking forward to see her with some paint on.

John

• Like 1

Thanks Stew, getting there! Just the sticky out bits to do now... :)

Thanks Jeffers - let's hear the epitaph story! :)

Thanks John :) Ah, another I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue' fan! Great show. For non-ISIHAC fans, the definition from the 'Uxbridge English Dictionary' would be 'a bit like a Beaufort'. One of my favourite bits of the show and available from Amazon. There's an online (unofficial) version here.

It seems to have taken over from '-ish' words as in "Cherish, a bit like a chair" or "Finish, a bit like a Fin".

Wait until I get the paint on and I'm hoping for 'just like a Beaufort'! :)

That tape sounds just the job so, of course, it has been discontinued. I found a supply here and a couple of rolls have been ordered. Thanks for the tip!

• Like 1

Wow, baby! (Wolf whistles while oogling plastic)!

Hope uni gives me time to keep up.

DennisTheBear

Careful, Dennis ... In one area of the U.K. The police treat wolf whistling as a hate crime.

Sad, but true.

I merely mention it and apologies for going off-topic

Jonny

• Like 1

I want that on my tombstone.

But not for a long time, I hope....

Geoff

• Like 1

Thanks Benedikt - great shot of lightning. Have you seen the 'live' lightning map here?

Hi Jonny - don't worry about going off topic, happens all the time and I like it! :)

Hi Geoff - seconded.

Thanks Stew :) 'Beaufortesque', love it!

Not that I'm loving the kit as I've had a small disaster, described later (jeopardy again, dum dum dum...)

​I'm never sure how many sticky out bits to apply before painting. It's a trade off between sticking them on later, with necessary touch ups, and the risk of knocking things off. Some are strong, like the fuel dump tubes. WDBD? Drilled them out, so I had a go too:

29030609310_4de0626465_z.jpg

Untitled by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

Not too bad. The torpedo 'racks' were fiddly and there's only a vague indication of location so I took the easy route:

28698140353_60336298ee_z.jpg

The resin aerial (why, oh why?) was a pain. There's no holes for this so I had to drill them and then fiddle with the damn thing before filling the holes with CA:

28698147843_dea4b6cd4d_z.jpg

And then the only bits left were all small so I decided to stop. I had this idea of pushing a stick into the bomb bay to support the model whilst priming, so I got a big stick and pushed it in, too hard:

29211570972_c55f41719e_z.jpg

Insert appropriate Anglo-Saxon here. Lots of it. I had to drill a hole in the bay roof and use a paper clip to pull it back into place:

29319740685_629f43f71b_z.jpg

That's emptied my patience tank. Although the next thing is primer and I'd like that to dry overnight... I may summon some more and get that done.

• Like 10

I'm just trying to imagine the levels of rage I could have reached if that bomb-bay roof incident had happened to me... I still haven't reached the upper limit of it yet.

You however have handled it very professionally though I can understand why you might feel that's enough to call it a day - good fix though, well done :)

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1

Thanks Simon :)

Thanks Stew :) You're right, the levels of rage were quite high but, despite the thought that "... that's enough to call it a day" I thought I'd blast the Stynylrez on:

29241812101_ba570f7e0b_z.jpg

It covers really well this stuff and dries quickly. You can see how well it's covered the masks, resin parts and the windows - GAAAAAGGGHHH! What an idiot, forgot to mask the windows. A rapid transit to the bench, a few cotton buds, water and IPA and we're back to this:

29212610182_8053340693_z.jpg

I am definitely calling it a day now. What an idiot...

• Like 7

No need to worry, If you let it dry for a couple of days. You can paint and seal it over after sanding it again. If you are working with rattle cans on old diecast, this happens more than you would have liked to have. And on and on and on! And the second time or the next it works. Murphy is a motherf***er for his kind of law!. Cheers

Edit : Ehh Is that right with my grammatics? Something sounds wrong I will have to use my old grammar books (1982....) to check it out. I should have read them steadily till then. hhhaaahhhaaaaa

Edited by bbudde
  • Like 1

Ced, you are certainly showing a great attitude in overcoming those few small disasters :clap: I'd have had some good Italian words to say if that bay roof accident would have happened to me ... and you would keep hearing their echo for a long time ... :chair::badmood:

Ciao

• Like 1

Thanks guys :D

It's really kind of you... I really appreciate the support and encouragement, one of the best features of BM friends when I make stupid mistakes!

Sky on the bottom tomorrow. After masking the windows, obviously.

• Like 3