Bristol Beaufort Mk I - Special Hobby 1/72

CedB

<snip...>

Flickr isn't uploading my photos. Not much to see as my 'fiddly work' mojo is low today and as soon as I try to do something it makes me go graaa ngggg arrrggg!

We're off to see the latest Bourne tonight so more later, or tomorrow.

I hope it wasn't me uploading 50+ (real Spitfire) snaps all at once...although an organisation of that size should surely cope with that load. Maybe it was a whole bunch of new users uploading their entire photo collections - as all photo-hosting sites seem to want people to do these days. Weird. :mental:

Regarding UK postage - I have found it to be much cheaper than that from the US...I have a particular bee in my bonnet about that.

I didn't know that HM's Customs in the UK gouged quite so nastily. Ouch. Makes me look more kindly on HM's Customs over here in Oz - but I'd better not talk too loudly in case they get the idea.

Looking forward to some more Beaufort fun :).

Cheers,

Alex.

• Like 1

Looks like you've had a pretty productive Sunday morning so far, good job on the turret slot. I've been thinking about getting a JLC saw for some time, I have a similar one from RB, which is very good but not quite rigid enough sometimes.

I hear that it's hot in Blighty at the moment, well how's this- we went to a barbecue yesterday PM and it was 32C in the shade and 40+ in the sun at 1500. We are getting up at 0600 at the moment to put the horses out early, so usually require a little nap ( called a do-do by the French ) after lunch. It's a tough life.

Cheers

Johm

Thanks John - phew, I couldn't take that heat, although the barbecue... It's a nice low to mid twenties here; perfect for me :)

The JLC saw is great - I have another cheaper version for rough jobs but the JLC is very fine and stiff - worth the outlay for the precision IMHO.

That looks like you had a busy sesh there Ced. Lovely controlled work on that turret transparency: that's the kind of task (requiring focus and concentration) that I always seem to put off until I have a run of them to do. It seems to be a personality trait I've become conscious of developing in respect of modelling - marshall the problem-bits into a convoy formation, that way more of them might survive the ordeal... :pirate:

Looking forwards to seeing you deal with the resinous elements there. Observing your enviable toolset deployed in squadron-strength on this build reminds me that when I joined this forum in March of this year, all I possessed was a blunt scalpel and some tins of Humbrol enamel (basically the point at where I left off building models as a teenager in the early 80s). Now every time that Gerry (our sagacious rural postman) hands over another odd-shaped parcel containing modelling supplies, his arched eyebrow seems to suggest that he is helping to feeding some kind addiction. You're not helping you know. :winkgrin::rolleyes::D

Have a good Sunday,

Tony

Thanks Tony - sorry you've caught the tools addiction; I find having the right tool for the job helps improve my modelling skills and gives me something to blame when the skills fall short! :)

Looks like some cunning use of the pens there Ced! And how handy that they just pop in like that, why can't all resin do that??

Rob

This is some Grade-A modelling, Buffers, old top!

All looking smart up front Ced.

Nice work on the turret canopy :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Never have too many pens....

Simon.

Thanks Rob, PC and Simon, very kind. :)

I've completed assembly of Kenneth's station now ready for when I overcome my resin phobia and chop him off the block:

28887815052_40079e3c0c_z.jpg

Untitled by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

Thanks to Bill (again) for pointing out the axe!

Thanks Alex - Flickr seems to be behaving itself for now. Still waiting to hear from UMM; on tenterhooks...

Thanks Leon - I hope you're enjoying the hols :)

Hi Ced,

Just looking at your engine fitting and it occurred to me that I should mention that with mine I cut off the collector ring of my cowlings and grafted on a spare pair of Hasegawa Beaufighter collector rings. John McIllmurray did a build article in Model Airplane International in October 2006 and demonstrated that the openings were too wide. If you can get hold of that edition of the magazine you can see how it was done. I didn't take any photos of what I did I'm afraid, but you can get the idea from second photo of the Beaufort I posted on 30 July. The actual kit cowling fits the engine like a glove, and I had no need to pack the engine out at all.

Cheers,

Matt

I think I smallerised the cowl opening on my 'fort with strip styrene, a technique purloined (with the greatest of humility) from TonyOT. It helps to recall the formula for circumference of a circle.

Cheers,

Bill

Nice results already, the engine popping in to the nacelle is truly one of the best mix media features I have ever seen. Allowing a build with minimal cutting of resin is what I call hobby ergonomics!

Cheers Ced!

Thanks Matt, Bill and Jeff. (Link to Bill's collector ring fix here.) I think I'm going to scream OOB at this stage and save the pie for later... probably.

Speaking of pie, thanks to PC, Simon, Debs and Andy for the math(s). I always remember the one with 'square' in it being the area. While you have your maths heads on, here's another one for you. 'The Book' explains that the torpedo was on a wire and reel system that released the torp at an angle of 17o and I have a silly idea in my head that I should hang the thing underneath at this angle on two strands of invisible thread. To do this I need to work out how long the threads should be so that the resultant 'angle of the dangle' is about 17. Here's as far as I've got:

28993013135_cca9ee957d_z.jpg

Pathetic. I know it's something to do with squaws and hides and the song keeps echoing in my head, but how do I apply Pythagoras (or whatever) to get the 'extra length' on the front wire? I guess I need to measure the length between the 'wires' but what then? I did research SOHCAHTOA and you might be interested in some of the 'aide memoires' that others have come up with.

Sense Of Humour Can Always Help To Overcome Awkwardness

Sex on holiday can always help the old aged

I shall remember the second one for my next trip.

I have chopped out the turret bits and prepared them for assembly:

28875836092_9462213f71_n.jpg 28706920640_91c0c73c80_n.jpg

28960422406_9cd63ef704_z.jpg

That first picture shows my method for holding the parts (fnaar fnaar) to apply the CA.

Some fitting required! I may yank the seat off, save it for another model and scratch a support for the gunner. Hmmm.

• Like 11

Looking great, Ced. The number you're looking for is H * 0.292 [that being the sine of 17). Not sure about squaws and hides, but that's the SOH bit of SOHCAHTOA. Blimey, it's been a long time since I did any trig.

In defence (partly) of UK import costs, I think that the cost to handle small imports is actually cheap given the effort required. I occasionally deal with imports at work, and the whole process is a window into the 70s, a world full of obscure regulations and requirements that is set up to deal mainly with bulk commercial imports. And I don't even have to deal directly with HMRC, just a helpful agent. Handling poorly (or un-) documented imports is a real pain. I'd gladly pay someone £8 to do all of that on my behalf.

• Like 3

Thanks Chris - brilliant!

It's a pity that they didn't teach maths a bit more 'practically' when I was a lad - if I'd known what trig could be used for 'in real life' I might have paid more attention, although the dinosaurs roaming outside were distracting...

The 'squaws and hides' quote comes from a very weak old joke - probably not worth a click

• Like 4

Maths. Oh good grief. Trigonometry. Oh good griefer! Good luck with that little problem Ced...!!

Some fitting required! I may yank the seat off, save it for another model and scratch a support for the gunner. Hmmm.

Your next 'tools' investment might be a resin casting set - that gunners seat would be pretty easy to cast & then you wouldn't have the dilemma of scratching or not scratching!
Keith
  • Like 2

I always loved geometry. It is the only facet of Math I ever enjoyed. Well, that and having a gorgeous tutor for BEDMAS. Trig on the other hand, well let's just say that ol'Jeffer (well, young Jeffer then) just glazed right over and dreamt of friendlier things instead while sitting through the 50 minute high school lesson.

I like the bit about Vacation, but you should leave your CA at home for those occasions. :)

TTFN,

Jeffer.

• Like 1

By Inspection 17 degrees is (about) halfway between 15 degrees and 20 degrees.

Therefore, using the RAF Pilot Clock Code method, Sin17 is halfway between 1/4 and 1/3 (15 on a clock being 1/4, 20 being 1/3 [of 60 minutes])

ie 7/24

So the length you wish to calculate is H x 7/24

In actual fact, 7/24 = 0.2916 which compares well with Amblypygid's figure of 0.292

Piece of ease this doing Trig in yer head stuff!

I can do Cosines as easily.

Tangents are a bit harder but (relatively) easy if you use the 1 in 60 rule.

:P

My Cadets are always amazed that I can do this stuff in my head, but Sines are the basis of working out wind drift, Cosines the basis of working out groundspeed, and Tangents the basis of Air Navigation as well as useful things like ideal glideslope angle and required rate of descent to maintain said glideslope.

• Like 6

Indeed.

That's why I teach my Cadets Pi x D as opposed to 2x Pi x R so they don't get confused with Pi x R2

From an engineering point of view much easier to measure diameters, internal and external, with micrometers.

Therefore practically using D in the Pi theory equations is, to use an engineering term, preferred.

David

• Like 3

The clock rule is essentially small angle approximation where the sine is approximately equal to the angle measured in radians for small angles. Neat way or remembering it though.

Oh, and the Beaufort looks very nice too. But surely the torpedo isn't carried at 17deg all the time?

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1

Therefore, using the RAF Pilot Clock Code method, Sin17 is halfway between 1/4 and 1/3 (15 on a clock being 1/4, 20 being 1/3 [of 60 minutes])

ie 7/24

In actual fact, 7/24 = 0.2916 which compares well with Amblypygid's figure of 0.292

My Cadets are always amazed that I can do this stuff in my head, but Sines are the basis of working out wind drift, Cosines the basis of working out groundspeed, and Tangents the basis of Air Navigation as well as useful things like ideal glideslope angle and required rate of descent to maintain said glideslope.

I think most kids these days, at least here in the US, are amazed if you can tell them how much change they need to give you without resorting to a calculator....if you give them an extra penny or two to make the change an even 25c they get REALLY lost!

Ian

• Like 3

Maths. Oh good grief. Trigonometry. Oh good griefer! Good luck with that little problem Ced...!!

Your next 'tools' investment might be a resin casting set - that gunners seat would be pretty easy to cast & then you wouldn't have the dilemma of scratching or not scratching!
Keith

Thanks Keith - resin casting set? Hmmm, tempting... What do you guys suggest for a beginner?

Wot ye cannae do Trig in yer head?

Whit was theys teaching you at UWAS?

Hehehe

I always loved geometry. It is the only facet of Math I ever enjoyed. Well, that and having a gorgeous tutor for BEDMAS. Trig on the other hand, well let's just say that ol'Jeffer (well, young Jeffer then) just glazed right over and dreamt of friendlier things instead while sitting through the 50 minute high school lesson.

I like the bit about Vacation, but you should leave your CA at home for those occasions. :)

TTFN,

Jeffer.

ie 7/24

Thanks Debs and Jeffer :) Debs I'm amazed (again)! But how did you get from "halfway between 1/4 and 1/3" to "7/24"?

From an engineering point of view much easier to measure diameters, internal and external, with micrometers.

Therefore practically using D in the Pi theory equations is, to use an engineering term, preferred.

David

Thanks David, good point :)

The clock rule is essentially small angle approximation where the sine is approximately equal to the angle measured in radians for small angles. Neat way or remembering it though.

Oh, and the Beaufort looks very nice too. But surely the torpedo isn't carried at 17deg all the time?

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks Adrian, very kind. The torpedo was carried in the bay but, I assume to ensure 'penetration' of the water, was on a cable and reel system so, when released, the rear cable detached slightly later than the front and the torp adopted a slight nose down attitude. I would copy the section from 'The Book' but copyright prevents me (it's on page 66)

I think most kids these days, at least here in the US, are amazed if you can tell them how much change they need to give you without resorting to a calculator....if you give them an extra penny or two to make the change an even 25c they get REALLY lost!

Ian

Thanks Ian - I know, awful isn't it...

I'm getting dangerously close to closing up now. F/O Campbell has been seated BUT the arms are too short and the wrong way around (resin set required??) The only pose that worked was 'slightly jaunty, look no hands':

28966843676_a6f4ced325.jpg

The turret seat has been removed and Sgt Mulliss or Fl/Sgt Hillman glued to the back:

29001850215_1f35de045d.jpg

Windows have been glued in with Gator's Grip (not in this picture) and the tailwheel bits prepared:

28896830082_19f3dab301.jpg

I think I'll leave off the tailwheel and turret for painting and mask their locations.

• Like 10

Just had an email from UMM. Postage options (in brief):

Option 1. USPS via AFCM will be $8.10 EXTRA and DOES NOT INCLUDE INSURANCE BUT INCLUDES A TRACKING NUMBER. In this case UMM is not responsible for loss or damage to the shipment. (10-18 days for delivery)

Option 2. USPS via AFCM mail including insurance $9.95 EXTRA which includes a tracking number. (10-18 days for delivery)
Option 3. USPS PRIORITY FLAT/PADDED mail including insurance $28.95 EXTRA which includes a tracking number. (8-12 days for delivery)
Option 4. USPS PRIORITY mail including insurance $38.95 EXTRA which includes a tracking number. (6-10 days for delivery)
Option 5. USPS EXPRESS mail including insurance $48.95 EXTRA which includes a tracking number. (3-6 days for delivery)
Now that's a test of how much I want it NOW... I went for option 2 on the basis that $40 to get it a week earlier is just, well, silly. I can be patient. Yes I can. Honest.
  • Like 4

Debs I'm amazed (again)! But how did you get from "halfway between 1/4 and 1/3" to "7/24"?

The Lowest Common Denominator between 1/4 and 1/3 is 12

This gives: 3/12 (1/4) and 4/12 (1/3)

Halfway between the two would be 3.5/12

Obviously that is a Complex Fraction so to simplify it you get 7/24

• Like 6

What a great thread! You get maths, geometry and trigonometry, plus all the resin and plastic bits (and crew members too). :thumbsup:

Ps: Ced, this hobby is all about patience, isn't it? :winkgrin::whistle:

Ciao

• Like 1

Thanks Debs :) Ah, I remember (just) when LCD wasn't anything to do with screens - thanks for the explanation.

Thanks Giorgio - patience? Oh, right, I'd better order some of that now :)

Best laid plans... the turret won't fit into a closed-up fuselage. Luckily I checked before closing up. Here it is fiddled in and, because it's resin, I blobbed on some CA:

28720270150_2c009c097d.jpg

That's the first time I've had fogging. Rats. Pressing on (literally) I dry-fitted the canopy:

28386671694_ec789951ac_z.jpg

It's binding a bit on the top of the i/p but, luckily, not so much that a little clamping won't resolve. There is some warpage and I'm very careful now top to bottom so the tail, which was the twistiest bit, was severely clamped:

28720372210_9635d3cb22_z.jpg

I'll work my way down the fuselage and let you know when it's done. Plenty of time before the prop jig arrives.

• Like 8

Looking good, a bit of Klear will deal with the fogging. Happened to me last build after I'd stuck the canopy on, I ended up filling a syringe with clear, pushing the needle though the join with the fuselage and swilling it round to cover the inner surface. Worked a treat but never seen the technique in a modelling book!

Got a Beaufreighter off eBay recently looking forward to doing it next.

• Like 3

Ah, I remember (just) when LCD wasn't anything to do with screens - thanks for the explanation.

Um, er, I think that was L "S" D. :)

Can you get the turret to fit if you thin down the fuselage walls in that area?

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 3

Thanks BB - I'll give that a try :)

Hey Bill. LSD? I have no idea what you mean...

The turret fits fine if assembled with the fuselage - I just couldn't leave it out as planned to fit after painting.

Hi Keith :)

Thanks Giorgio - I only noticed it on the photo - I think it's outside so I'll try Klear later.

• Like 2

I hadn't seen CA fogging before Ced outside of CSI episodes...hopefully that Klear will sort it out. That front cockpit looks great with the crew in situ. Top stuff.

Tony

• Like 1