Dragon 11017 1/72 Saturn V

Woodstock74

• 2 weeks later...

Wasn't looking for a critique or a review, however relevant (or not, I'm purchasing kit #11017, not the pre-painted kit #50402), just looking for anyone with a realistic idea as to whether or not I'll see my order fulfilled by Dragon. Dragon hasn't been particularly helpful stating that it's on backorder and that means it could be 3 months. Just don't want 3 months to come and then go and then they tell me it's OOP.

Edited by Woodstock74

I can't answer the questiopn on the status, but I highly suspect that it is OOP. In terms of accuracy, both models are identically awful. Yes, they look a bit like Saturn Vs and are large, but the good points stop there. I thought I could accurise one, but I've switched to scratchbuilding everything below the SLA, apart from the engine nozzles which are all aftermarket. If you want more on the errors, I'll post the multi page critique I posted at the time on Yahoo's space-modelers group.

Regards

Tim

Edited by TimB

It's a real shame the Dragon got it so wrong. All those Apollo models of the 1960s and early 70s have some excuses in that the designs were not really finalised when these kits were being released.

Dragon has no excuse.

Having said that on occasion Dragon does get it quite right. I am currently building their Apollo -Soyuz kit and it's good enough.

My original review is at:

http://www.ninfinger.org/models/vault2012/Dragon%20Saturn%20V%20Error%20List/Dragon%20SV%20Error%20List%20v1.1.pdf

My (mostly) scratch build Saturn V is part built, with the first stage under construction. The overall target is Scale Model World 2019. I finished a Saturn 1B for SMW last year, which used the Dragon Apollo stack which is not bad compared to the rest of the Saturn V. I'll be repeating that, stringers and all, for the Saturn V. It's a shame, but I think the only part I'm likely to use is the SII to SIVb transition.

Regards

Tim

Well, you have me curious now.

• Like 1