Plastic Zeppelins

Panzer Vor!!!

and Peter Strasser the officer commanding the navies airship fleet till he was killed on a raid over England

Aboard the Zeppelin L 70, which was shot down by an Airco D.H.4 being flown by Egbert Cadbury of the confectionery company and his gunner Robert Leckie. You're not the only one interested in airships, Panzer Vor. Of interest to me though are the British non-rigids used for maritime patrol; very much below the radar in terms of knowledge about air activity in the Great War.

Hello Michal, are you going to do n 'r' Class, as L 33 and such like? L 33 was brought down in Essex and landed intact, becoming (along with L 49 in France) the basis of Britain's post-war 'R' Class, R.33 and R.34, the latter being the first aircraft to make a return crossing of the Atlantic.

• Like 1

I have just come across this, so much on the site to catch up with . . .

I am interested for 2 reasons.

Firstly there is a plaque nearby indicating that a Zep dropped bombs on the village of Scartho, Grimsby in 1916.

Secondly, my Grandfather was a survivor of a Zep raid, L22, on Cleeethorpes in March 1916 that killed about 31+ of his Manchester pal and injured around 50. Recently marked the 100th anniversary of that occasion.

http://themanchesters.org/forum/index.php?topic=7407.0

I am slightly baffled by the scale . . . its not 72nd is it ?? I am thinking that the numbers are in the format of 1/350th therefore its 1/720th if anybody can just clarify this. Just how big is it in inches or milli-metres please.

Edited by Mancunian airman

It's not a metric scale, as you surely know. Simply 1" in 1:720 makes 60 ft (or 20 yd) in reality, while for 1:700 it makes 58' 4".

Cheers

Michael

Just ordered mine from the Big H. I have to build one of these as my maternal Grandmother experienced both Zeppelin and Gotha raids during World War One. I wish now I had asked her more about them but was only a kid when she told me about them.

Martin

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...