Plastic Zeppelins

Panzer Vor!!!

On 8 September 1915 LZ 45 (L 13), commanded by Heinrich Mathy, was the first Zeppelin to bomb central London, setting fire to textile warehouses to the north ofSt Paul's Cathedral and causing over half a million pounds worth of damage, around one sixth of all material damage caused by the bombing of Britain during the war.[11]

• Like 3

1/32 scale Wingnut Wings zeppelin now wouldn't that be something :winkgrin:

When I had a look at the link Panzer Vor posted I read the scale as 1/72 just before the brain recalibrated the eye information and adjusted to 1/720. Wouldn't 1/72 have been something?

I take it i'm the only Airship enthusiast on here :shrug:

looks like it mate :banghead:

no seriously I have a huge interest in all things Great War, don't know much about Zeps tho!

moving on

Pamela Anderson 'moored' in the back garden, now there's an interesting thought....somewhere to park your bike I guess.

Zeppelin L48 (LZ95) was brought down at Theberton in Suffolk, about 20 miles from me. Part of the framework is in the local church.

As for Pamela Anderson, I suppose you could park two bikes.

I prefer Gillian Anderson

• Like 1

On 8 September 1915 LZ 45 (L 13), commanded by Heinrich Mathy, was the first Zeppelin to bomb central London, setting fire to textile warehouses to the north ofSt Paul's Cathedral and causing over half a million pounds worth of damage, around one sixth of all material damage caused by the bombing of Britain during the war.[11]

And there is a plaque on a building on Farringdon Road EC1 that commemorates this - the original building was one of those destroyed in that very raid

https://greatwarlondon.wordpress.com/2013/02/03/zeppelin-damage-in-farringdon/

• Like 2

3 at least

And there is a plaque on a building on Farringdon Road EC1 that commemorates this - the original building was one of those destroyed in that very raid

https://greatwarlondon.wordpress.com/2013/02/03/zeppelin-damage-in-farringdon/

Very interesting buddy thank you

• Like 1

3 at least

Very interesting buddy thank you

I came across it one day when walking to a meeting. London's full of this stuff. I was on a 23 bus going to another meeting yesterday and went past St Clement Danes in the Strand/Fleet St - the pock marks to the walls from bomb blasts remain untouched from 1940/1 - fascinating.

I find them fascinating but dont know all that much about them really, just the general history. They always seem so very WW1/Heath Robinson to me in so many ways with that mad Edwardian inventor appeal if you get my drift. The same "feel" attaches to the early tanks, most aircraft before say about early 1917 (when they start to build things that look robust and workable) and the very late Edwardian battleships and very early Dreadnoughts. I just know hardly anything about them unlike say WW2 types.

I do know that the Grassmarket in Edinburgh just opposite Edinburgh castle of the other side from Princes Street was bombed by one. Looks like they were trying to find the RN fleet at Rosyth dockyard across the Forth in Fife but if they were their navigation and bombing was hopeless. You can find the story here

http://www.scotsman.com/heritage/people-places/lost-edinburgh-zeppelin-air-raid-of-1916-1-3375536

and

http://www.nrscotland.gov.uk/research/learning/first-world-war/zeppelin-air-raid-on-edinburgh-1916

I like the part about the child born with the given name of Raida and the conjecture that if its not a family name does it reflect her early experiences

• Like 1