Frog Westland Wessex 1/72

Hello All,

I've been working on a Frog Westland Wessex (build thread here), and here it is:

This represents XM328, a pre-production HAS.1, during the period of its trials with the Royal Navy. It was later converted to HAS.3 standard and it has been restored by the Helicopter Museum in Weston-super-Mare.

Frog_Wessex_done_front_left_high_whole.j
Frog_Wessex_done_rear_left_high_whole.jp
Frog_Wessex_done_front_left_low_whole.jp
Frog_Wessex_done_rear_right_high_tail.jp
Frog_Wessex_done_rear_right_high_cockpit
Frog_Wessex_done_front_right_high_cockpi
Frog_Wessex_done_front_right_high_whole.
Frog_Wessex_done_front_right_low_whole.j

Thanks for looking,
Adrian

• Like 44

That's a wonderful build of a real oldie Adrian you're really carving a niche here for bringing these often overlooked kits right up to modern

standards,great stuff!

• Like 1

That's very nice Adrian, when I go to the next model club meeting at Weston Super Mare I'll go and look at the original.

Great work on that very old kit.

David

• Like 1

Thanks for all the positive comments - there's a lot of love for Wessexes out there!

It may be old but it's a great kit. Frog kits vary from the sublime (e.g. this one) to the agricultural (e.g. DH Hornet). It's crisply moulded, has good shapes, fits together well and provides good detail, especially on the rotor heads. The only things that really, really need doing to it are to replace the lenticular sliding windows, add a couple of bits of strip around the rotor and add an instrument binnacle.

If you want to do one, bear in mind it represents a very early HAS.1 with the small, square windows, with no aerials or winch. So if you want to do a "mainstream" HAS.1 the window apertures need to be enlarged and there are some more bits to add.

Regards,

Adrian

Edited by AdrianMF
  • Like 4

A good clean build of an older kit. I still remember the Frog kits of this period fondly, previously un kitted types and a little later must have been among the first to offer decent decals (Transfers) and a choice of two different markings options.

Well done Adrian. Trev

• Like 1

Hello All,

I've been working on a Frog Westland Wessex (build thread here), and here it is:

This represents XM328, a pre-production HAS.1, during the period of its trials with the Royal Navy. It was later converted to HAS.3 standard and it has been restored by the Helicopter Museum in Weston-super-Mare.

Thanks for looking,

Adrian

Vey well done, great finish, always loved the model, so way ahead of its time. :winkgrin:

• Like 1