1/48 Stransky Bücker Bü 181 Bestmann - finished build log

Hi,

This is a short wrap-up of my recently finished built of Stransky's Bestmann as announced in this Rumormonger topic:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235005073-148-bucker-bu-181-bestmann-zlin-z-281-z381ehaw-mki-gomhouria-by-stransky-box-artschemessprues-release-in-2016/

Here are several in progress photos - the model is already finished so this is not real time WIP ;)- sorry for that

Basic airframe and cockpit:

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by SasaU.
  • Like 5

Some detailing in cockpit. I've added Eduard's excelent "Steelbelts" to the seats.
It was first time I've used those new etched steel seatbelts and I will not use any other from now on. They are excelent.
IMG_2702.jpg
IMG_2707.jpg
IMG_2708.jpg
I've also drew and printed a decal for instrument panel. I am too lazy to hand paint it ;)
IMG_1607.jpg
The canopy fited also without any problem :)
IMG_2700.jpg
IMG_2701.jpgch
Canopy was soaked in Future then masked and instrument panel installed. Then I've glued the canopy to the fuselage.
Doors on both side could be posed closed or opened. The fit is again very good. I've choose to let them both opened.

IMG_1597.jpg
IMG_1599.jpg
IMG_2712.jpg
A.
  • Like 7

Next was engine cowling. Not an easy part but nothing the modeler can not do :)
IMG_2715.jpg

IMG_2721.jpg
IMG_2722.jpg
There is no engine in the box so I've costructed one from some old Aires resin and Evergreen plastic >]
IMG_2718.jpg
This is all I have from the WIP phase. The model is finished now. More images are available in RFI topic here:
00_DSC_0408.jpg
Thanks for watching :)
A.
Edited by SasaU.
  • Like 9

• 3 years later...

I also just purchased this kit. I was not sure which was better, the Stransky (KP) or the Special hobby, so I bought one of each. I like the detail representation on the Special Hobby better. I think the detail representation on the KP kit is a bit heavy handed. But that been said, the SH kit has some gross shape errors, particularly the shape of the vertical fin and rudder. The KP kit is much more accurate in shape. I also have two of the old MPM short run kits for about twenty plus years now. I decided to try to build one of those first since I really enjoy a challenge, and this kit is for sure challenging. It takes a tremendous amount of fitting but I like the delicate detail representation on it. Shape wise the only problems I found was the rudder and fin are just a bit too wide and the upper turtle deck behind the cabin is just a bit too tall. The turtle deck I decided to leave alone but the rudder I fixed because it was very easy. I just cut it to shape using the Stransky kit as a guide and than thinned out the surfaces by sanding down the mating surfaces to thin down the trailing edge. It turned out perfectly. You can follow my build here.   https://www.modelforum.cz/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=129252  It is too inconvenient to post pictures on this website so I do not post my builds here any more. What I think I might do with the Special Hobby kit is to cut the tail off my second MPM kit and graft it to the Special hobby kit. If someone would do a corrected fin-n-rudder for the special hobby kit, it would not be a bad model. The other problem with that kit is the clarity and quality of the clear parts. I have seen better on short run kits. If someone did a replacement vac-form canopy for it, it would be good.

Edited by Otakar

• 4 weeks later...

I bought two of these about 20+ years ago. Who knows what the cost was back than. You can still find them on eBay but some people want too much for them. But I have seen them for as little as $12. You can see my build here https://www.modelforum.cz/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=129252 This kit is definitely no comparison to the Stransky kit or even the Special hobby kit for that matter. However the tail section on this kit has a much more accurate shape then the Special Hobby Kit. Though the tail is still not the right size or shape. However it is actually larger so can be made smaller. The special Hobby tail is too small and completely miss shaped. The next one I build will be the Special hobby kit with a new tail section grafted to it. I wish someone would do a new resin tail upgrade for it. I am making my own.

Edited by Otakar