Shell Welder Coastal Tanker 1/130

That's fabulous work.

Minor points and I hope it isn't too late to fix them:

The anchor chains would always be bar tight between the hawse pipe and the windlass as the anchors are heaved tight home and then the brake applied.

The boxes for the Nav lights must be matt black, only the shades on the lights are red or green, the panel around (the light box) is always matt black.

As a Ship's Master those are the only points of critique I can make, which makes your model so brilliantly realised!

Greetings!

Many thanks for the comments!  Too late I'm afraid to make changes - this build was completed in July 2016 (see the initial post date).  I used colour photos of Shell Welder as reference for painting, including navigation light box surrounds.  These photos (one of which appears in the above post from longshanks) clearly show red - no matt black?  Please have a look at this photo for the other side - green only, no black?  

Warm regards,

Bill

shell_welder_colour_photo.jpg

Jeddahbill, your port and starboard navigation light screens are correct. The regulation requiring the screens to be painted black did not come in to force until 1972 and the "Shell Welder" was built in 1955.

Chris 

Well photographs can't be wrong. And I should have considered the old regs.  :sorry:

My other comments about fabulous work still stand!

• 2 years later...
3 hours ago, Iceman 29 said:

Great job!  ;)

Many thanks for having a look and commenting!

2 hours ago, Harry Callahan said:

Simply fantastic to see what you have done with this bad kit, that's not modelling but high engineering 

This kit was really rough - almost every part was a problem!  Thanks so much for the comment!

Bill

• Thanks 1

I know, i started one, the pieces quality is not to the top, adjustments also . You've done a very good job of getting here.

I'm going to use your pictures as inspiration for building a new one, with PE.

• Thanks 1

• 3 years later...

You deserve a lot of credit for putting together this out-of-age kit with such talent, because it takes a lot of talent. Bravo!

• Thanks 1

On 3/4/2024 at 10:04 PM, Iceman 29 said:

You deserve a lot of credit for putting together this out-of-age kit with such talent, because it takes a lot of talent. Bravo!

Thank you very much for the kind comments! 

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1

While I'm not a 'boaty' person, thats very nice .... I like the detail and overall look. 👌 

Keith 😁 

• Thanks 1

On 3/8/2024 at 2:54 AM, Keeff said:

While I'm not a 'boaty' person, thats very nice .... I like the detail and overall look. 👌 

Keith 😁 

20 hours ago, Flintstone said:

I have one of these kits to do, very impressed with your completed model.

Many thanks for the kind words.  This is certainly a challenging kit that needs much work to make it look decent.

Regards,

Bill

On 3/13/2024 at 2:43 PM, javlin said:

That is just to cool!Their really is alot more to model in maritime than the usual ships of the war eras.Very Well Done!!:worthy:

Thanks! 

really nice job on that, i had a novo kit given to me many years ago and that was badly moulded.

i still have about 5 of these to build by eastern express i was going to use on a model railway dock layout.

not sure what to do with them now?

• Thanks 1

On 3/17/2024 at 6:43 AM, sandsmodels said:

really nice job on that, i had a novo kit given to me many years ago and that was badly moulded.

i still have about 5 of these to build by eastern express i was going to use on a model railway dock layout.

not sure what to do with them now?

Many thanks!  Having done this kit once, I doubt I will do it again.  Good luck with those kits!

Bill

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/24/2024 at 4:15 PM, S-boat 55 said:

Great build, impressively finished, makes a step of variety from big gun ships, 

Many thanks for having a look and commenting!

Cheers,

Bill

• 2 weeks later...