1:350 Type 45 - Airfix, or Trumpeter?

Iain Ogilvie

Hi all,

Apologies if this has already been discussed - but if you wanted to do a Type 45 in 1:350 - where would you start - Airfix, or Trumpeter?

Also - any recommended etch?

Iain

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

Apologies if this has already been discussed - but if you wanted to do a Type 45 in 1:350 - where would you start - Airfix, or Trumpeter?

Also - any recommended etch?

Iain

Edited by Pappy

Airfix is a pig to build, it really is. Trumpeter goes together more easily. Both look enough like a Type 45 for me, although I'm not sure which would be preferred by people wanting a really accurate model.

White Ensign did an etch set for the Airfix kit, which I think is still available from the new owners.

Edited by Bobski

• 2 weeks later...

Both kits have pros and cons. The Trumpeter kit is getting an unfair treatment so far, based more on prejudice than fact, by the sound of it. It is a decent representation, they got the anchor hawsehole right and it also provides glazing and PE, unlike Airfix. Otherwise surface detail is finer, and more of the details are separate, making painting easier. The cons are the only glaring error: the shape of the forecastle deck profile at the bow - it is too "bulbous" as viewed from directly above.

The Airfix kit is also decent - it is more accurate in the forecastle profile apart from the hawsehole location (too low and set too far forward,bit of a clanger really). There's no glazing for the bridge, quite chunky detail and frustratingly poor fit but it is cheap by comparison. In the end it would come down to budget, and you do get what you pay for.

I would say the best result would be a kitbash of the two, starting with the Airfix hull, but how possible that would be I don't know! (Yet!)

• Like 1