1/25 Union Japan 1946 Ford Convertible Back to the Future

Most of the work in progress was done last weekend however I managed to get some hours in this week. I battled through the fit issues of this old kit, it didn't come with any white wall tyre inserts or any decals. I used Alclad black base over a grey primer, I then used an Automotive 2K clear over the Alclad base to give the shine. For the seats and the interior door panels I used Revell Purpurrot Aqua Color which was brushed over with a Automotive 2K clear matte lacquer, this gave the effect of a leather type material on the seats. I was struggling to get certain items correct as I was trying to copy the on screen movie image of the car which is shown at the end of the list of pictures. There was a badge under the front left headlamp which was the "Super Deluxe Legend", I decided to make something that looked similar using an old sewing needle to try and give the impression of the badge. Also I didn't have the correct number plates but I did delve into my Ford Torino Revell kit and I decided to take the Californian registration plates that were on the decal sheet as the movie car plates had California on them which was good enough for me. The silver solder stripes that I glued to the side of the car, although I did Alclad chrome the front and rear bumpers I didn't think it was worth trying to paint the rest of the chrome items that were around the car in Alclad as it was very easy to wear off when it was handled. I did find that the Vallejo chrome metallic paint was really good for painting small items and although it was not as good as Alclad from the look point of view, it was much easier to apply and resisted being rubbed off so easy as the Alclad did. I decided to scrape off the paint on the stripes to reveal the silver solder and with a little bit of metal polish they came up looking pretty good. Overall for an old kit I think it came together quite well and as near as I could get it to the car that was in the Back to the Future movie. You can see my work in progress of this build here.

HEL3KeI.jpg
zwIQfSj.jpg
DKjZaww.jpg
6nIZ9zG.jpg
4yU3Uwj.jpg
vHDrNPy.jpg
IhDvWfk.jpg
OhdZuv3.jpg
G6Hm2R3.jpg
IxkgB3P.jpg
dElYNWQ.jpg
kawoTnG.jpg
T8s8Fip.jpg
CZ5sTAs.jpg
gsMYa1M.jpg
cYfs8dS.jpg
lcevlfd.jpg
MB8J6C8.jpg
vA8pC0z.jpg
k9Mga4D.jpg
uqcAktj.jpg
ocfWJtn.jpg
RP1bFsJ.jpg
gUyUcqK.jpg
dzNL9wu.jpg
VqQz6L5.jpg
FPWmUYB.jpg
M7p49A4.jpg
F2fHpuQ.jpg
HffDXnY.jpg
z8xCMC5.jpg
Giav1e4.jpg
scZ18Nr.jpg
rXJ79Cf.jpg
QQUXz5f.jpg
Tp4DIkn.jpg
YC76i7n.jpg

Edited by Lee Chambers
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Lovely. That gloss finish over the black is up there with the best I've ever seen. What brand of 2K did you use, and what was the thinner - fast, medium, slow? I've seen various 2k packages on Amazon and eBay, but I don't recognise any of the brands so haven't taken the plunge yet, but I do think trying 2K on a model is on my to-do-list.

Anders

• Lee Chambers changed the title to 1/25 Union Japan 1946 Ford Convertible Back to the Future