Buccaneer S.Mk.2B XW547, 12 Squadron, 1/48 Airfix

Firstly, thanks to everyone for your kind feedback, much appreciated.

That is one of the best Bucc models that I have seen,.....beautiful job and I `m looking forward to your RN tanker too!

Was once on the receiving end of a shipping strike exercise by at least 10 Bucc`s from 12/208 Sqns and it was one o the most amazing sights that I have ever seen as they weaved around the ships in the convoy below deck height!

Cheers

Tony

Hi Tony, thanks for your comments, those Buccs must have been an awesome sight in the proper sense of the word. I'll bet they weren't hanging about were they. I emailed a couple of pics to two ex-Lossie mates at work the other day and this was followed by half a day's worth of email reminiscing.......all good stuff.

Spot-on with the RN tanker as well, top mark there ! B)

I ordered the buddy-store and then got to thinking that it'd maybe look better on the Sea Vixen, but no.

Very nicely done! Will the next one be in Extra Dark Sea Grey? It's God's Own Colour. :)

Cheers,

Bill

Hi Bill, well the top half of it will be. At this stage the next one will be XT270 '237', there's a photo of it online from May 1967. Plans subject to change though aye ! ;)

Thanks for your feedback.

Gaz

Excellent model 'best part of a year' well spent !

Hi Bucckit, thanks. 2 house moves and a couple of sanity builds dragged it out, but like I say it was about a year before I finally decided what the finished build would look like.

Lovely job. Another great result from this "wonderful" kit.

I hope you swore at yours as much as I swore at mine!

I can't quite clearly see, but it looks like you scratch built the Martel TV screen in the back cockpit. :thumbsup2: .

Top marks for fitting the wide band homer pods on the wing leading edges. Many get that detail wrong.

Following the RWR fitment in the tail, the pods were removed by all units except 12 Sqn. They still used them in the anti shipping role.

The pods were then refitted to all aircraft with different electronics after the avionics upgrade in the mid to late 80's.

Nice project ahead, "buddy" refueling fit is not seen much.

Hi Phone Phixer

LOL, a "wonderful" kit indeed :P but with a bit of work it scrubbs up o.k. I guess.

I don't know if I swore (unusual for me), more that some parts of the build just took sooo long :crosseyed: . Probably took a week to get the intakes sorted, another to close up the airbrakes, not to mention the reading and internet trawling I did to try and get close in terms of mod state. I had to take a couple of breaks from it all.

Yup, I knocked up a Martel TV screen, not much room in there for spreading the 'wings' on the seat or offsetting it to the right though. The TV screen and the wide band homer pods were examples of how things could have gone a lot smoother if only I could have decided on which aircraft I was going to build early on in the piece. Rechecking the mod state every time I changed my mind wasn't fun at all.

Cheers

Gaz

I'm glad this one is finished.......next please. :P

20160730_152621_zps1sdlptr5.jpg

• Like 1

Great build and attn to details! How did you manage the Martel launch rails? That's the one let down in the flightpath set.

I have you to thank for that, and a couple of other bits.......

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/53851-148-airfix-buccaneer-s2b-xx895-12b-sqn-1976/

I have 2 kits each with Sidewinder options that I wasn't going to use. Each winder fitting has a pylon, adapter and launch rail. I separated the 3 pieces, got rid of the adapter, and attached the launch rail upside down directly to the pylon. It's a relatively simple fix and fair enough representation I hope.

Hopefully that will help someone in the future.

Thanks again :)

Gaz

Edited by kiwitrogg

I cannot believe this only 1/48 scale - little that that I can that has not already been said.

Impressive work

Regards

Dave

Great looking Buccaneer, wonderful work.

Guy

• Like 1