1/144 Authentic Airlines BAC 1-11-500 *FINISHED*

There is a simple way to avoid overblows

Suppose you want to apply blue over white. Mask the white part and blow a thin layer of WHITE before blowing blue. This would seal those microholes that cause overblows and stains

Managed to paint the red tail this afternoon.

2016-09-01%2022.39.33_zpsymswznrk.jpg

With the obligatory over spray! I know what you mean Alexey but that means I have to decant my white primer into my airbrush then clean it all out before I spray with the red and I just wanted to spray it quickly! What I should have done was a proper check to make sure there were no gaps!

Anyway, as I had the red out I thought I might as well do one of my other shelf of doom projects and get the ball rolling with that, so here's a 'with something else' shot. Can you guess what it is? Easy!

2016-09-01%2022.40.34_zps4hghefky.jpg

Maybe I'll be able to paint the wings tomorrow.

Cheers,

Ian

btw Sorry for the messy work bench!!

• Like 1

Looking good. Flew on a 1-11 in these colours (G-AVMR I think) when I was 7, I remember being excited about flying in a jet for the first time - until then I'd only flown in Viscounts.

Which paint did you use for the red?

Hi guys,

Well I've not done much on this recently as I've been working on a couple of other builds. I have however sprayed the grey on the wings and painted the tyres so apart from the aluminium leading edges I'll soon be onto the decalling and final weathering/detail work.

Zebra, for the red I used Revell SM330. I never know which reg to put on my models but I think I'll give this one G-AVMR!

Benji2210, be sure to upload some pics of your 1-11.

Cheers,

Ian

Edited by Turbofan

Today I painted the aluminium leading edges and engines.

Whilst unmasking the wings quite a bit of paint came off. I have to admit this was because I was trying to cut corners and didn't prime the wings before the final coat. :banghead: Lesson learnt today- always lay down a primer coat! :rules: Not sure if I'll just patch them up or strip and repaint with a primer coat. Most of the flaky paint is on the undersides so I guess it doesn't matter too much as it won't be seen. The areas on the upper wings can always be camouflaged with dirt and streaks of oil!! You can't really see it on the pic below but believe me there are areas of bare resin.

I need to spray some more grey anyway because I forgot to paint the nose gear :banghead:

2016-09-09%2021.16.08_zpsejcqwvi1.jpg

One thing which did occur to me after I dry-fitted the engines is the aluminium pylons don't look right. Does anyone know if the pylons are aluminium or grey, or white for that matter! There aren't many images out there of BA 1-11 pylons!

Nearly there. Will have to sort out a suitable base soon and think about the groundwork.

Anyway thanks for looking.

Cheers,

Ian

• Like 2

Having worked on RAAF BAC1-11s I recall the engine pylons were polished aluminium like the nacelles.

A quick trawl of Airliners.net seems to suggest same for the BA aircraft

Link1 Facebook link to RAAF BAC1-11 repaint, you can see the engine and pylon have been covered prior to repaint and are unpainted.

Link 2

• 2 weeks later...

20160923_185418-1_zpsxf0gih7x.jpg

This is where I'm up to at the moment. Wings, tailplanes, engines, airstairs and undercarriage are all glued on.

Ready for decaling and final detailing. I'll have to wait for some more AA 1-11 windows first though as I've run out! 

I've repainted the engines as I found some images of BA 1-11s which show white pylons.

Nearly there.

Cheers,

Ian

Edited by Turbofan
  • Like 4

Thanks for the comments everyone!

Well the windows arrived today, excellent service from the Authentic Airliners team 2 1/2 days from Germany to UK, can't complain about that!

So I'm off to do some window and title decalling. Here is the progress up to now.

2016-09-28%2017.02.45_zpszrkw6ekb.jpg

Cheers,

Ian

• Like 5

Looking good Ian.

Am I correct in thinking that it sits correctly on it's gear without the need for tail support?  From the picture it looks as though the bottom two steps have yet to be added.

The red you have used on the tail looks just right, with the slightly faded appearance just like the original. Is the remainder of the tail logo going to be painted or will you be using a decal?

Inquisitive minds need to know.

Chris.

1/144, are you sure?? Looks too real!! Are you sure you didn't mix it up with their 1/72 kit :P? Just looking my Airfix kit, it's unbelievable you've made something so tiny so life-like. Amazing!!!!

Edited by DrewP