Italeri 1/72 Fw-190 D-9 (Galland Circus) - Finished

Hi

I will be building italeri's 1/72 scale D-9 with EageCals decal set "Dora's of Galland Circus". I didn’t decided if I will apply decals for stripes or paint-mask them.

My original intention was to build Revell's A-8/R-11 as well, but with inspection of the bag content I have figured out that I am missing several parts - do not remove parts from the sprue!!! So this kit will serve as a donor in case there is need for it.

Here is (crappy) photo, sorry for that, of the box contents...

001_zpscc3i9ooe.jpg

Sprue shot

002_zpssdppt9ez.jpg

This is a fairly old kit with tiny raised lines, there is, however really deep groove for masking of the stripe on the fuselage which has to be filled.

So far I have assembled the cockpit and wings, removed couple of parts from the sprue to check for fit...

My intention is to go for "in flight" configuration - poor guy on the left will be the pilot.

003_zpspsvppcq7.jpg

004_zps5yagwfua.jpg

That's all folks!

Cheers!

Rade

P.S.

For some reason, unless I am logged in, this Group build is not visible in the list of the current GB's...

Edited by parip
Finished

Hi

Update...

I have attached cockpit to the fuselage

005_zpsrxs8dje8.jpg

Cut through a notch in a wing for in flight installation, cut of guns

006_zpseijkv2mh.jpg

Checked the fit of the wheel wells covers with wheels installed, some trimming of the wheels was required

007_zpsz6fw4xyx.jpg

Then I continued test fitting in the cockpit with instrument panel and pilot

008_zpsuejtegx4.jpg

and decided that legs will have to go

009_zpsn8e48u5f.jpg

Started painting the pilot

010_zpsu5toeop1.jpg

and finished

011_zpstxrkvfsx.jpg

While checking Revell's kit, I have spotted retracted rear wheel which I am going to use

012_zpshpnvzkhe.jpg

It was finally, time to put some paint on...

013_zpsrepajba3.jpg

And start gluing halves together

014_zpszngqbkv9.jpg

015_zps0g4cdyxl.jpg

That's it for this update.

Cheers!

Rade

• 4 weeks later...

Nice work Rade I like to pilot esp well done

Thanks!

Hm where was I?

Next step was to glue everything together which resulted in several gaps.

016_zpsrnzgd3eu.jpg

017_zpsgjnmvcvq.jpg

019_zps4gh0oyyg.jpg

018_zpsdmreubcs.jpg

It was time for filling and sanding, which after several applications was finally done.

In the meantime I have started and finished another kit (results are here ).

Than I primed everything with Mr. Surfacer 1200.

020_zpse8y7bpv3.jpg

021_zpskf1bazpm.jpg

022_zpsb4yzgpn1.jpg

Painted underside white (idea is to mask and spray red), prop in black-green, cockpit in correct shade of grey.

023_zpsr8shdtec.jpg

Still lot to do...

Cheers!!!

Rade

• Like 1

Hi

Masked stripes and sprayed red

024_zpserestdto.jpg

masking removed

025_zps5d7fgynd.jpg

Paint has lifted only in one place, which i will cover with decals, few touch-ups to be done as well.

Next is to mask the canopy, install pilot, armoured headrest, canopy and continue painting...

Cheers!

Rade

• Like 3

I think you made the correct choice masking and spraying the underside, trying to decal those markings can be a nightmare as I recall from many years ago! I am also impressed you have what appears to be a vintage Airfix stand! The number of those I went through as a young bloke still staggers me. I wish, now, I had kept a few!

Nice work on your "parrot".

Regards,

• Like 1

I think you made the correct choice masking and spraying the underside, trying to decal those markings can be a nightmare as I recall from many years ago! I am also impressed you have what appears to be a vintage Airfix stand! The number of those I went through as a young bloke still staggers me. I wish, now, I had kept a few!

Nice work on your "parrot".

Regards,

Thanks Kahunaminor!

You can still find them if you google "airfix af1008 aircraft display stand".

Cheers!

Rade

Hi

Prior to closing the canopy, I have placed red decal "Achtung I am not in register" on the armoured headrest and pilot in...

026_zps6lgrwzwa.jpg

027_zps68xdkr5s.jpg

After closing the cockpit I sprayed cockpit grey without previously checking the gaps between canopy and the body (I hope the damage inside is not too big). So it was back to putty..., followed by RLM76 (not in pic)

028_zpsvbjvjjnk.jpg

At the same time I have decided to finish horizontal stabilizers so I masked underside and sprayed RLM82 (went great) and tried freehand RLM83 which I thinned heavily and it was disaster. Needles to say masking removed paint, so it was paint stripping and respraying...

030_zpsmgcb6nwt.jpg

029_zpssvxqu6js.jpg

then I applied RLM75 to the wings

031_zps3hbofdcb.jpg

After that I prepared white tack snakes and sprayed RLM74, this didn't went very well simply because I have masked in such a way that there was unpainted area between the colours, however because I have removed masking straight after paint application I was able to cover the area freehand and it was “success”.

032_zps12ic1ezx.jpg

033_zpsd3j59pvy.jpg

034_zpsrxnfgbyf.jpg

035_zpsz5drigx0.jpg

This morning I have applied RLM82...

036_zpsma6ribhr.jpg

037_zpsntzrnnms.jpg

038_zps7johqppj.jpg

And painted spinner in yellow followed by black

039_zpskfe7cnyk.jpg

040_zpskolfs29m.jpg

That's it for now.

Still lot to do, hopefully I will be able to finish before deadline.

Cheers!!!

Rade

Hi

Quick update

I went in once more with RLM82, then masked gun cover and sprayed RLM83.

Here are the results (ruder went off during the ops, but without any damage).

041_zpsxaeptmlx.jpg

042_zpsx4vyzons.jpg

043_zpsd6euoaye.jpg

Next steps are cosmetic ones (correcting mistakes - requires a lot of masking), clear coat, decals and slightly weathering.

Cheers!!!

Rade

• Like 2

Hi

Update...

I went back with rlm76 to sharpen up mottling; reattached rudder; gloss coated top and sides; placed decals.

Regarding the EagleCals decals, I am a bit disappointed because they are not in register and they are breaking very easily.

I was lucky that i have masked the stripes because EC made decals in such a way that you are supposed to measure and cut each stripe. The same principle was foreseen for "walking areas" which were made out of dots (which started separating on the model :badmood: ), so I ended up with Italeris decals for most of the stencils.

And last but not least, without being forced I have managed to displace few of them :bangin:.

Anyhow I have gloss coated underside in preparation for next session...

044_zpsrjldm8td.jpg

045_zpsvumrle9y.jpg

046_zpspiunprfk.jpg

Next steps: decals underside; painting exhaust pipes; reattaching guns and horizontal stabilizers; adding antennas, flat coating and hoping that everything is OK inside the canopy.

Cheers!!!

Rade

• Like 1

Hi

I've placed decals underside, all 6 of them (on the pic it was wrinkle wrinkle little decal time).

047_zpsj2hrxehv.jpg

Then I attached retracted wheel from the revells kit, as well as horizontal stabilizers.

051_zpsfn2hnc3e.jpg

This afternoon I have sprayed Tamiyas smoke (still wet on the photos and it looks glossy, never used it before) to the exhaust area and the guns

048_zpse38wpkcg.jpg

049_zps5y9owxc4.jpg

050_zpsd9klhjti.jpg

I have to add few streaks below, tone down smoke with some grey and than I am going to apply flat coat.

:cheers:

Rade

• Like 2

Hi

I have checked tamiya's smoke this morning and it was gloss (better shine than gunze clear coat). so I went in with revell's blue grey 7something to tone down the contrast. One side went great, the other one not that good - reason paint drying on the needle. Anyhow I was pleased with the result so I've applied flat coat and unmasked canopy.  Here are the results...

052_zps5ayldhmn.jpg

053_zpsvtpfsca9.jpg

Rade

• Like 2

Hi

Next thing to do was to paint and attach antennas and guns, as well as to attach spinner, which resulted in this...

054_zpsexzr7ixu.jpg

058_zps6xe433wb.jpg

061_zpsjuzrbjbp.jpg

I am calling it done!

Rade

Edited by parip
everything was double somehow
  • Like 2