Vallejo Metallic Color

Tailwheel

Hi All

Apologies if this is in the wrong section .

Have any of you used this range and how would you compare them to Alclad2 ? . I have used some of these on a model car parts and was pleased with the result , but not sure how they would look on a airframe though

TIA

Dave

I used them and think they're fantastic, just be sure you use their own black primer.

Can't say nothing about Alclad, because it's been along time I ran off my last bottle, and they don't send them to the Canary Islands.....

As the others say, they are fantastic, I find them so much easier to use than Alclad and the colour range is great, with good tonal variation for different panels and areas. I used the Dull Aluminium as the main shade on a Mig-17 and it reproduced that flat dull grey finish really well.

Regards,

Peter

• Like 1

I use them and find them excellent. I prime with Tamiya X-1 (gloss black) thinned with Mr. Color Leveling Thinners - the glossier the primer is, the shinier the metallic is. I also thin the paint with Vallejo Airbrush Cleaner, and mist coats on, waiting a minute or two between coats.

• Like 1

Instead of using the gloss black primer, you can also just airbrush on black, and then some gloss coat (assuming that you end up with a smooth surface.)

Using the Vallejo black gloss primer is something I have to experiment more with, as I didn't do well with it. Having said that, using the metal colors works great for me greatly thinned and with multiple light layers.

I have brushed them on small areas to touch up, but after leaving it on a palette for a while to thicken up as its very thin from the bottle and suited to AB really. Think you would struggle brushing over a large area but no harm in trying I guess.