1/350 Mikasa Build by a newby

Hi Martin. Thanks. The cradles were a bit of a learn. :book::frantic:

You will notice that the top planks are missing on quite a lot of them. I cut them as close as I could to the middle bit but some still had a nub. This made the surround not fit properly. I managed to snap some off by accident trying to get a fit and then in the end just started snapping them off. You won't be able to see them under the boats. PE is still a massive learning curve hence fitting the boats between the railings as well. Gone wrong somewhere. Still I'm using loads of stuff and tips from the good people here and practice makes perfect and its a great way to spend a few hours.

Cracking work Guy, much better than my(Mikasa) I can tell you.

That's going to be a fine model when you have finished it.

Got a green towel have you :winkgrin:

Keep up the good work mate.

Frank :coolio:

• Like 1

Just had a good catch up, very fine quality work going on here.

I find it's nice getting towards the 'home straight' on a build like this, as the ship is really coming together and you start to get the full feel of the finished article, and it's always nice to get onto the often more interesting final detailing and finishing work.

• Like 1

Cracking work Guy, much better than my(Mikasa) I can tell you.

That's going to be a fine model when you have finished it.

Got a green towel have you :winkgrin:

Keep up the good work mate.

Frank :coolio:

Evening Foxy.

Thanks for the comment s . I'll have a sneaky raid on the airing cupboard to see if we have a green towel and sneak the black one back into the house.....

Cheers Guy

Just had a good catch up, very fine quality work going on here.

I find it's nice getting towards the 'home straight' on a build like this, as the ship is really coming together and you start to get the full feel of the finished article, and it's always nice to get onto the often more interesting final detailing and finishing work.

Hi Rob

Thanks for looking and the comments. been taking a load of tips of the site and builds like yours. Practice test fit, practice test fit then a bit more then glue it down is the case at the moment. Agree with you and the finer detail may not look like a lot being done but its rewarding though especially as the skills get better.

Cheers

Guy

Hi! Let me join to the congratulations for that brilliant work. I especially like those funnels and railings...amazing job!

Hi Jasico. Thanks for the kind comment. The eduard railings are easier to use than I imagined as they have scores where they need to be bent. This along with a few tips from the good folks here have helped build the skills to produce this.

Cheers Guy

Thanks, about pointing out some of the fit issues. I will return to this posting for details when I build mine. Great job.

• Like 1

Hi RichO

I don't know if it was me putting the railings at the very edge of the decks. I also cut off the moulded on mounting blocks and the brass ones May have been lower. I'll look forward to hopefully hearing / seeing how you get on with the Pontos set as well. That looks like a lot more is in there than the Eduard.

Thanks Thom216. Appreciate the comments as always.

All

Thanks to everyone who is looking in and watching. Unfortunately I didn't get any time to do anything this week what with one thing and another.. :frantic:.. :weep: I'm also now going on holiday for a couple of weeks.. In a tent so definitely won't be doing anything except drinking wine, beer and eating lots of BBQ food. :drink::eat:

I'm definitely going to finish this and share the complete journey with you all.

Thanks and see you all soon. :bye:

Cheers

Guy

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All.

Apologies all for a long delay in updates.  Well after some time away on holiday and a total break from work and this build in a tent, I am all ready to go again.  This last weekend managed to get a load of time in the shed. 

There has been a lot of work on many of all the small parts this week and mainly finishing off or fixing thing that have been built and kept safe.

First, I fitted the two anchors on the bow holding area.  As with the first one in the last update also attached some small holders made from twisted wire.

1%20Anchors_zpstqm7bqne.jpg

Also mounted the sips 6-inch guns down both sides along with the remainder of the small guns.

1%206%20inch%20guns_zpsl4td28hj.jpg

Next, it was bring aboard the remaining small boats.  These also had the PE stands tacked onto them.  I tacked them to the small boast first rather than trying to line them up on the deck.  I then simply fixed the whole boat with stands to the deck...

1%20Boat%20deck_zpsybfda0s2.jpg

Then onto the funnel caps as these are now less likely to be knocked off. 

1%20Funnel%20caps_zpsjqvuuabh.jpg

The railing around the edge of the ship where fixed.  There is a lip around the deck that acts as a great guide for these.  I will not go into how I bent them, as it was you good people who taught me how to do it using a drill bit, tweezers and a soft surface.  I simple kept measuring where the bends needed to be. Then it was onto the beams the hold the torpedo net in place.  These are fixed to the hull and then tacked to the torpedo net holder.

1%20Rrailings%20bow_zps0u9gsawq.jpg

1%20Railings%20stern_zps8cbhequn.jpg

Finally, it was actually fitting the masts.  These were now in place forever. 

1%20Masts_zpsmdyczzyp.jpg

1%20So%20far%201_zps7gfayzok.jpg

1%20So%20far%202_zpssjrxwdri.jpg

I tried looking at how to do the rigging next and did a couple of practice runs with fishing line on some mock masts.  This looked terrible.  This is an area that I will need a lot more practice and is not coming easy.  I may try to get some EZ line.  To this end, I am going to hold off as I don’t want to make something I’m quite pleased with look like a load of spiders went on board and had a rave… 

I will to do this have a just for fun build… and practice on that.  This s my subject and will start a new WIP thread.  I have seen loads of great corvette builds on the forum and always wanted one.  This is 1/350 and ideal to partly fill my wants but will be great to practice rigging on as there is not a huge amount.

1%20Spiraea_zpst92yixx3.jpg

Once done I will come back to Mikasa, rig her, and post when done.

Thanks for looking in and following.  Hope you will give feedback and thank you for all the help along the way.

Cheers

Guy

Edited by rollsroyce
Added image
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, foxy said:

Cracking work Guy.

Nice to see you enjoying the build.

The etch looks great, maybe blacken the ends of the smaller guns.

foxy B)

Hi Foxy

Thanks and yes it has been a great build.  i'll take that advice as the guns are a bit bright at the ends of the barrels.  Cheers for looking and the tip

Guy

She's looking really good.

Probably sensible to do some practice rigging on a smaller ship, but I expect you'll pick up on a technique that works fairly soon and then come back to complete this excellent Mikasa.

It will actually be good to see a Flower class build log too, as it is one I'll pick up at some time.

Edited by Rob 1
  • Like 1

Hi All

Cheers all for the kind comments and really glad you like it.  I tried some monofilament fishing line on some mock up masts....  I just don't seem to be able to get them all taught using the heat shrink method...  Then there is the tops where three joint and they look like a birds nest as need to cut them to fit.  .  I have ordered some EZ line as this is elastic and will be bale to stretch and get taught on all lines at the same time.

I will start the new thread on HMS Spiraea, build her and then try and rig as a practice.

This one will be back soon, Well lets see how long it takes to build the Corvette.

Cheers for now

Guy

• Like 1