RAF Marham Friends & Family Day

RAF Marham celebrates its 100th anniversary as a flying station in 2016. To help mark this occasion, the station opened its gates to families and friends on July 21st, and I was lucky enough to get an invite. It was a good opportunity to see the work of this frontline station up close, particularly as its resident Tornado sqns are so heavily involved in ops and deployed to the Middle East. A number of Tornados were in both the flying and static displays and it was pleasing to see both the Granby 25th commemorative jet and the Marham 100 anniversary aircraft. The USAF neighbours at RAF Mildenhall and Lakenheath were also in evidence which helped give the event a more international flavour. Anyway, on with the show.

anniv%20tail_zps6what1la.jpg

The specially marked fin on Tornado GR4 ZG771 illustrating some of the famous types that have flown from this Norfolk station during the past century.

Tornado_zps543tfrey.jpg

granby%20tail_zpsx07axr1q.jpg

Views of Tornado ZG750, specially marked in an Operation Granby anniversary colour scheme, and also highlighting all the operations the Tornado force has been involved with since.

kingair_zpsbb8u7a9a.jpg

RAF King Air from 45® Sqn, another unit celebrating its 100th anniversary this year and with special markings to mark the occasion.

kc135_zpsqku1ncmu.jpg

KC-135R from the 351 ARS/100 ARW at nearby RAF Mildenhall

osprey_zps6huybevx.jpg

Also from Mildenhall is this CV-22B Osprey from the 7 SOS/352 SOW.

hawkt1_zpswed3xivk.jpg

Hawk T.1 from 100 Sqn at RAF Leeming

hawk_zpsnewloqsj.jpg

And a Hawk T.2 from IV® Sqn/4 FTS at RAF Valley.

apache_zpsa0tlawjr.jpg

In the flying display was this AAC Apache AH.1.

spit1_zpscznxqgwm.jpg

spit2_zps5cbmehur.jpg

A pair of Spitfires from the BBMF at RAF Coningsby

bae146_zpsjv3hqlkr.jpg

BAe 146 CC.2 from 32(The Royal) Sqn at RAF Northolt.

typhoon_zpsgy3oeutl.jpg

Typhoon FGR.4, one of a pair in the static display from 1(F) Sqn at RAF Lossiemouth

gate%20guard_zps82lghgxj.jpg

One of the two gate guards at Marham is this Tornado ZA407

victor_zpss6q2saex.jpg

The other being Victor K.2 XH673 shown here wearing the markings of 57 Sqn

Hope these are of interest. C&C always welcome.

Mark

• Like 20

• 4 weeks later...

Did you get both sides of the 100th anniv fin, its different on each side if you didnt you know :)

Hi Motley. No sadly it never occurred to me both fin sides were different. I even went back to check my photos from RIAT and they are all port side as well - how annoying!

Mark

Hi Motley. No sadly it never occurred to me both fin sides were different. I even went back to check my photos from RIAT and they are all port side as well - how annoying!

Mark

The funny thing is most pictures ive seen of the jet are of the side you have, there seems to be very few pictures of the right hand side. The side your missing has the newer types Marham has hosted like the Washington, Canberra, Vulcan, Victor and of course the Tornado

• Like 1