What's up with airlinercafe.com?

I am having trouble with airlinercafe.com. All of a sudden, I'm getting a message that I have an ad blocker in my browser and must upgrade to a "First Class" membership in order to access the site. I do use an adblocker program, but it is disabled for airlinercafe, and the site is whitelisted. I cannot log in, and I cannot even contact the site administrator about this issue because the adblocker prevents me from doing so. This is happening with both Safari and Firefox.

Help!

Edited by Space Ranger

It sounds as if they have reset their settings to prevent the use of any adblockers regardless whether you've whitelisted the site or not. You'll probably have to take it up with the airlinercafe management.

It sounds as if they have reset their settings to prevent the use of any adblockers regardless whether you've whitelisted the site or not. You'll probably have to take it up with the airlinercafe management.

I'd love to "take it up with the airlinercafe management," but as I originally stated, I cannot. When I attempt to contact them via the link provided, I get the same disable-your-ad-blocker-or-upgrade-to First-Class (i.e., "pay to play") warning.

I just tried to get contact details for you from their site, but it won't even let you use the Contact form page without chiding you and throwing you back to the home page. catch 22! :shrug:

Hi Michael,

This seems to be fairly common of late, and I think it's down to a Javascript routine which should be able to detect whether the site is whitelisted, but is buggy and doesn't.

Try this: install the QuickJS add-on in Firefox. This gives you a button in the toolbar which can disable Javascript when you need it to. Then go to the site and use the contact form, and you should be able to get in touch with them. When you've done this, you can switch on Javascript again as needed for other sites.

I've just tried this on my machine (Windows 7, Firefox ESR 38.8, Adblock Plus), and I was able to get through to the contact form with no problem.

HTH

• Like 1

Hi Michael,

This seems to be fairly common of late, and I think it's down to a Javascript routine which should be able to detect whether the site is whitelisted, but is buggy and doesn't.

Try this: install the QuickJS add-on in Firefox. This gives you a button in the toolbar which can disable Javascript when you need it to. Then go to the site and use the contact form, and you should be able to get in touch with them. When you've done this, you can switch on Javascript again as needed for other sites.

I've just tried this on my machine (Windows 7, Firefox ESR 38.8, Adblock Plus), and I was able to get through to the contact form with no problem.

HTH

I have something like that already: NoScript. I disabled JavaScript per your suggestion, and now things are back to normal! many thanks for the suggestion.

The weird thing is that until today, airlinercafe worked just fine with JavaScript enabled.

• Like 1

Ah, good to hear, and glad it now works!

A lot of sites call external libraries of routines that may even be hosted in other locations by other organisations - if they update their routines with something buggy, many websites will be running the buggy code straight away.