IL-76 -"front flaps" down together with rear ones?

That's an awesome bit of filming on the take-off, fair play to the camera man for holding his nerve!

Beautiful, I hope Zvezda come up with a new tool Il-76 soon.

Eng

As others have mentioned, the flaps and slats are controlled from one lever and sequenced depending on the aircraft type. The 747-400 only gets inboard and mid span leading edge flaps at the first setting (flap 1). At flap 5 the trailing edges move and the outboard LE flaps extend. The A300 only extends the slats at the first position (this could be used for take off - long runway with no obstacles on climb out eg Bahrain). The A320 family only extend the slats at Flap 1 in the air but on the ground the same setting will give you flaps as well!

On the VC10 there were separate levers for the flaps and slats but they were pinned together so used as one. In the event of a double engine failure on take off (with 2 engines close together it was considered highly likely that one failing would take out the other) the pin was removed so that the flaps could be retracted first. The slats are lower drag and increase stalling angle of attack so would be retracted later once the aircraft had accelerated. 'Double engine failure drill' was called so that everyone knew that a non standard procedure was to be completed.

Cheers

Glen

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Here's some pictures I took of an Il-76 from when it pulled off the taxiway, onto the runway and started the takeoff roll. It shows the leading edge slats and trailing edge flaps activated at the same time.

I took them in August of 2014 at the Brno airport (BRQ)

oo1Zpss.jpg

XDIt2cX.jpg

sJHR6PF.jpg

Etq69GC.jpg

ljXLque.jpg

csQVmqi.jpg

Thanks, this pictures shows clearly that slats goes down together with flaps on IL-76. It is nice scheme btw...to see this before I will go for this, but my is in Aeroflot livery (completely reprinted decals as Trumpeter ones has a lot of mistakes and wrong size too)