1/35 Italeri Pz.Kpfw.IV Ausf.F1 - update 21/08

Decided to attempt one more entry - an Italeri Panzer IV. I'm going to fo an Ausf F model to go with some Bison decals for a Hungarian Army machine from 1942 on the Ost Front

P1040902_zpstu9dxsel.jpg

P1040903_zpsq4apbgyo.jpg

P1040904_zpsh2sersye.jpg

Looks like a lot of plastic. Hope its going to be fun! Se you when I've started

• Like 3

Struth I'd forgotten how many parts are in one of these !

Do you get the choice of long and shot barrels for the main armament ?

Look forward to seeing this one develop, good luck Andy

Cheers Pat

• Like 1

Struth I'd forgotten how many parts are in one of these !

Do you get the choice of long and shot barrels for the main armament ?

Look forward to seeing this one develop, good luck Andy

Cheers Pat

Yes, Pat, you do. My Hungarian one will be the stubby barrelled early F

• Like 1

Yes, Pat, you do. My Hungarian one will be the stubby barrelled early F

Nice one, out of curiosity why the Hungarian one ?

My knowledge of Hungarian Army matters being........well whatever you tell me really !

• Like 1

Nice one, out of curiosity why the Hungarian one ?

My knowledge of Hungarian Army matters being........well whatever you tell me really !

I just saw the decals a few years ago and after visiting Budapest in 2014, I just did a bit of background reading on Hungary in WWII (tragic) and just thought it would make something slightly out-of-the-ordinary in the display case

• Like 1

Yes it did Andy...recommended read is Krysztian Ungvary's book on the siege of Budapest - such a harrowing read but actually relevant if you're visiting. Whilst we're at it, Viktor Sebestyen's book on 1956 Hungarian Uprising is also essential reading before you go too!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

OK I'm conscious of the time running out so I thought I'd better get on with this...

Mouldings are nice - rear plate fitted and glued

P1040948_zpsfyzgkwzy.jpg

Most of the small bits need some clean up - here are the return roller housings and then glued in place after cleaning

P1040949_zpstqni4phv.jpg

P1040950_zpsktbv5jia.jpg

P1040952_zpsncaxyt5z.jpg

Return rollers - 3 separate pieces to each and there are 8 in total - again all need some cleaning. Last one is them dry-fitted.

P1040951_zps1hwnpbnx.jpg

P1040953_zpsosqrugqd.jpg

P1040954_zpsuin91xwc.jpg

Next up - 16 road wheels! Here they are on the sprue - you just kind of go into automatic mode with these - can't wait to paint the road tyres on these - NOT!

P1040955_zps6mrjiihe.jpg

P1040956_zpsicneffhm.jpg

Suspension brackets in place and then the plates glued

P1040957_zpskibn0cy2.jpg

P1040958_zpsgihddzap.jpg

Road wheels dry-fitted

P1040959_zpsv8flgipj.jpg

Up and running!

• Like 2

On to the turret. This is where I can use Andy's (Sgt Squarehead) references he kindly sent me and the instructions closely as there are detailed differences between the F1/F2 and G models

Basic turret and cupola rings cut out. Again a bit of clean up with a sharp scalpel and sanding stick

P1040960_zpsc4loecuo.jpg

Putting together the basic turret mounted parts for the KwK 37/L24 - the actual gun parts fit over this on their own mantlet. Some minor surgery is needed for the short-barrelled F1 as shown and then this was clamped and glued

P1040961_zpsfnhjhkfz.jpg

P1040962_zpsftnzhqpq.jpg

Some generic doors and hatches fitted

P1040963_zps6y2wkpa8.jpg

The turret front plate fitted - quite nice but will need s swipe of filler and a sanding stick at the butt joints. With the gun fitted.

P1040964_zps2t3rfzm0.jpg

P1040965_zps8xq6fady.jpg

There is then the bottom part of the turret to fit and this does so very tightly

P1040966_zpsift9h4zm.jpg

Familiar small-step front plate on the superstructure with the MG34 in its ball mounting - this actually moves and is cleverly engineered

P1040967_zpsl7gm7vjl.jpg

Hatches fitted and sides started on decking

P1040968_zpswtc6m2yv.jpg

Now to the only disappointing bit - the turret basket. As can be seen, there is no way the basket will fit the compound curves of the rear of the iV trret - it seems more suited to a Pz III?

P1040970_zps2jm1ayj4.jpg

P1040971_zpsvkrrmpo0.jpg

P1040973_zps4uxbj00a.jpg

I'll have to some surgery on this to get it to fit - there's quite a bit of etch to go on it too.

Lastly a dry-fit of the KwK 37/L24 and its mantlet - needs cleaning up but fit quite nicely and looks the part

P1040972_zpsdrqpkqxx.jpg

That's all for now - got a bit to do with the decking and other sundries before starting the track links (ugh!)

• Like 3

In my opinion the turret basket fit is prototypical - it didn´t hug the turret very closely. I agree with you re painting Pz IV rubbers... don´t like it at all. This is pure nostalgia for me as I´ve built the buggers back then when I had plenty of hair left. They had finer detail than Tamiya IV:s and the fit wasn´t bad for an Italeri kit. Nice to be able to have the suspension "live" too. V-P

• Like 1

In my opinion the turret basket fit is prototypical - it didn´t hug the turret very closely. I agree with you re painting Pz IV rubbers... don´t like it at all. This is pure nostalgia for me as I´ve built the buggers back then when I had plenty of hair left. They had finer detail than Tamiya IV:s and the fit wasn´t bad for an Italeri kit. Nice to be able to have the suspension "live" too. V-P

Thanks and I agree - it's a lovely kit. I think there is "hugging the turret" and "having a large gap"...I'll have a close look at my references during lunch today...still think some surgery will be needed but hey...we're modellers not assemblers :banghead:

• Like 1

Further to post #14 above...I've had a look. Not only does the basket appear to fit snug to the hull at the sides it is the wrong shape. However it appears to be the turret that's the problem. Online reviews on Armorama and PMMS etc seem to review that the turret is the wrong shape at the rear - I may have a couple of stiff ones tonight and think about filing the turret from it's sort-of-pear shape to a more rounded effort.

Andy the two dragon panzer IV E,H I've built, both have a gap between the rear of the turret and the stowage bin. I found this photo of the E model.

e841b96fffc148078cabecce9dd9959b_zpsa700

• Like 2

Thanks guys. Andy, there is a picture of the top of a IV Ausf F in one of your references you sent me and, yes, it shows a gap. The issue is that the radius curve of the basket doesn't match the turret. I've done some filing down and sanding and I've now got both rear turret and basket to match - not 100% totally accurate as I think the Italeri turret is wrong but at least the basket inner curve matches the turret now.

Good enough for me, I think :thumbsup:

• Like 2

Absolutely! Remember, Italeri and accuracy don't fit in one sentence

Doh! I just thought their armour might be a bit better than their aircraft!

Anyway, onwards and upwards. I had a scrape and file with the basket and the turret and by working on both of them at the same time and then stopping and dry-fitting to check, I cam up with this, which looks a lot better to my eye

P1040974_zpsbkkweigh.jpg

Filler has been sanded down on the turret now too

P1040975_zpspmkyfz82.jpg

I suddenly realised that I hadn't glued in the glacis plate earlier in the hull part of the build so put that right. The fit wasn't brilliant so out came the filler and after a suitable period, the files and sanders

P1040976_zpsawoke2hy.jpg

Next up was the superstructure - all a bit fiddly as the sides and front are butt fitted with some guidance recess in the plastic but theu njeed concerted pressure to come together evenly and to stay that way. Eeven after that, there were some unslghtly lines that I'm pretty sure wouldn't be on the real thing, so out with filler and sanders again

P1040977_zpswj2f27ka.jpg

P1040978_zpsbbha6hms.jpg

Fitting the track guards - again unnecessarily fiddly I thought. Patience is what is needed, even though you vent against the kit's engineering! :banghead:

P1040979_zpsqtqnb6tc.jpg

Finally got both fenders/guards on and the it was time to glue the superstructure on. There will be the inevitable filler to the rear and it is actually vital to get that rear plate on at EXACTLY the right level or nothing will fit. I had to move mine (by running liquid poly on the joints, prising them apart and then re-setting them) no more than 1mm but it makes a hell of a difference. The final join was far worse thah shown before the plate was moved.

P1040980_zpsubz3tjyi.jpg

P1040981_zpsrtxfk2z2.jpg

I couldn't resist then adding the turret and gun just to see what she will look like...childish I know...I'm used to doing V12 aero engine noises and jet sounds when I'm a/c building and I'm at this stage - not sure I can do a V8 tank engine

When I said link and length...these are the only 'length'...3 short sections at the bottom of the track - there are 69 individual links to do now...I may bbe losing the will to live...I may be some time before the next update

P1040983_zps6ikkztlu.jpg

• Like 1

I'm used to doing V12 aero engine noises and jet sounds when I'm a/c building and I'm at this stage - not sure I can do a V8 tank engine

Lucky you - the IV had a Maybach V-12 too so go on and make the noise, you know how to do that :yahoo:

• Like 1

Coming along a treat, TBH it looks a decent representation of the type to me (all your components appear to be in harmony with the basic principles of engineering, unlike certain S-Model kits I could mention). :coolio:

Some double-sided tape can be a great help with indy-links.....Assemble your own short lengths, let the glue almost fully set up but fix 'em to the model while they are still slightly flexible. :pipe:

PS - If you haven't started yet, give this option some thought.....If the fit of the parts is close enough, don't glue any of the wheels to the hull, but assemble the tracks on them as normal, starting with the wrap around the sprocket. Give them plenty of time to harden up and with care you should be able to remove the entire track run on each side as a single unit for painting, it's a pretty standard method for Braille, but I can't see why it wouldn't work just as well here:

RevellCromwells002-Smaller_zps859f5bab.j

In essence you are making your own QB tracks.....But better! :winkgrin:

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Unfortunately guys this one is a non-finisher!  I'm so busy at work, I've not glued or painted anything for weeks.  Ho-hum.  Not going to get much better as I'm going to be stuck in Manchester 3 days/week until Xmas.