A-4B Skyhawk 1/72 Airfix from a local bargain bin!

Good evening! Impulse purchase from a local store - found the A-4B Skyhawk starter set by Airfix in 1/72 for a fiver and couldn't resist. I know there are quite a few on here but thought I'd share my attempt. Added a resin ejector seat, scratch built the area behind the seat and replaced the basic cannons with resin examples. I had to shave a considerable amount off the bottom of the ejector seat to get the item to fit correctly in the pit and had to make my own pull handle after the item arrived slightly damaged.

Building was a breeze except for concealing the join on the top of the fuselage which took lots of filler, sanding and re-scribing panel lines and even now still i can see a little bit of the join. I've not matched the grey very well this time with my Tamiya blends and also wished I had put down a layer of white under the red as it's too dark. I am going to go back and touch some area's up after looking at the pictures and matt coat the ejector seat and bomb. I normally finish my models in matt varnish but left this one glossy as most of the pictures I could find show the plane to have a shiny finish.

Anyway - here's the pics and thanks for looking!

IMG_1240_zpsm5wac0un.jpg

IMG_1241_zpsr7lspymv.jpg

IMG_1243_zpssjayrooi.jpg

IMG_1244_zpsdzunifrc.jpg

IMG_1246_zpshs4t6tf7.jpg

IMG_1247_zpsv3yudejz.jpg

IMG_1248_zpsaayl8qky.jpg

IMG_1249_zpshwknp6k7.jpg

IMG_1251_zpssitneqcv.jpg

IMG_1253_zpshpd7gwlc.jpg

IMG_1254_zpsbzbj0s55.jpg

IMG_1255_zpshbuiaejd.jpg

IMG_1256_zpsps7caz3i.jpg

IMG_1257_zps2ip8iz0a.jpg

IMG_1258_zpsmekppdot.jpg

IMG_1259_zpsz4vmyp7l.jpg

• Like 26

You can't knock it for a fiver. Fine result.

Thanks Darby :)

That's a very nice little Scooter and well worth the money! Experienced that little difficulty on the top fuselage too. Good you kept it in gloss.

Oh it was a swine but well worth the effort and thank you very much. Keep looking back and seeing areas I need to re-address. not sure why the cockpit edges are textured so will have to correct them. Also the canopy is slightly crooked so that's going to come off and be re-attached too.

Looks great and a fiver well spent.

What have you used for the gloss finish?

Thanks Booty. Used good 'ol Humbrol Clear but airbrushed instead of my usual flat brush approach. 3 base coats, decals, brushed gently clear over the decals, then oil wash followed by a relatively generous final coat to seal the oil wash.

Always good to see a kit rescued from the cheap bin and find a good home. You have done it well

Trev.

Cheers Trev.

Great work! Nice little kit too, although I spent more time fixing slats, refuelling probes and arrestor hooks on mine then I did actually building it!

Thanks Val. I've seen your scooter and she's a beauty. I did manage to drop mine right before finishing it which meant I had to re-attach all the undercarriage and drop-tanks... cursed kit?

Nice one, this kit has defeated me not once but twice :goodjob:

Definitely a cursed kit! :) cheers Stu. Third time lucky?

• Like 1

Beautifully weathered A-4! Great show!!!

Don't say it is a cursed kit, as I have two I intend building! I shall get an exorcist on stand by, just in case you guys are right...

Congrats

JR

• Like 1

Thank you! It is a cursed kit!! I've got to the point where I need to glue the slats closed I think! Really love the weathering on yours, really realistic.

Thanks Val - I nearly sliced the arms off and glued them on as well but when looking at the A-4 it's usually got them slanted forward when on the ground.

Cracking build

Cheers!

Top drawer!!! excelent weathering and detail. :goodjob:

One of my favourite jobs on a model is weathering. I like to let my somewhat limited 'artistic talent' go for it!

Beautifully weathered A-4! Great show!!!

Don't say it is a cursed kit, as I have two I intend building! I shall get an exorcist on stand by, just in case you guys are right...

Congrats

JR

JR - good luck. The plane did throw itself on the floor just as I was finishing it so you've been warned ;) Are you doing different air forces with each one?

Fantastic. Got one of these to build. Hope it turns out half as good as this.

Thanks Mark - have fun and good luck ;)

Edited by Victory-is-in-the-Kitchen
  • Like 2

JR - good luck. The plane did throw itself on the floor just as I was finishing it so you've been warned ;) Are you doing different air forces with each one?

Hi,

yes, I have had my share of suicidal models... it is always the parents' fault.

I intend sticking to USN A-4s: one of VC-5 (I just noticed it has the later wheel model, so will have to "borrow" the wheels from my Esci A-4E...) and the second one of VA-106 (but then quite a lot of thingies will have to be modified as far as air scoops, etc are concerned).

Looking at the sprues, I stupidly thought it was going to build itself. Damn! Thanks for ruining my day.

Congratulation again for your beautiful Scooter.

JR