Airfix 1/24 Messerschmitt BF109E

All,

I was kindly given this kit (an original 1970's kit minus the original box and decals) together with an electric motor by another member of my local model club. Although there were no decals, I had built this one last year in the Romanian markings so still had the German markings left over.

I therefore decided to build OOB without engine using the electric motor (tested as working before fitting) in it's place on the stand gear up as 'in flight' display.

Unfortunately, after fitting, I cannot get the motor to work which was a bit disappointing............

Brush painted as always and I had to paint in some of the more prominent stencil markings as I no longer had these on the spare decal sheet. Also added a swastika decal that I have from an aftermarket set.

By no means perfect but I am generally happy with it.

Regards

Dave

001_zpssc22hwks.jpg

002_zpsnlvqsu5f.jpg

003_zpsypxzv3gs.jpg

004_zpsexnufhio.jpg

005_zpslj1y2d6g.jpg

006_zpsbfbadqfy.jpg

007_zpsgcuiqunm.jpg

008_zpst1nvkzjr.jpg

009_zpstwtkrqvo.jpg

• Like 35

Cheers, Nigel

Paints used were Revell Aqua colours with the exception of the green (no Revell colour equivalent) which is Humbrul acrylic.

Regards

Dave

Thank you all kindly, gentleman

Hacker - no, did not encounter brittle plastic, just a bit of work sorting sloppy fit of some parts.

Regards

Dave

That was the one we were discussing at Billericay, isn't it?

Yes,indeed!

I had quite a few discussions on the day regarding this and the Mustang. Which gentleman were you?

Regards

Dave

• 3 months later...

Lovely build that brings back lots of memories.

The Airfix Bf109E was the first 1/24 Superkit I built when it came out in the Seventies and I will be building my second one in 2017.

Dave

• Like 1

John, Dave,Jeepboy and Rodders -

Thank you all very much for your kind words which are much appreciated.

Regards

Dave

• Like 1

That looks beautiful; you wouldn't believe the moulds for that are over 40 years old.  It's nice to see one that hasn't been weathered to within an inch of its life.

I've just had to put my untouched example in the loft to make some room to work in, but with your example as inspiration I hope it won't be there long.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎08‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 10:34 PM, Mark4700 said:

Wow, fantastic. What a finish, amazing what can be achieved with a brush :worthy:

Total agreement with the above :clap2::speak_cool:

• Like 1