Elastic Monofilament Rigging,.... any suggestions?

tonyot

Hiya Folks,

I bought a roll of elastic monofilament rigging from John at Aeroclub years ago and it has been my main tool for rigging models, however it has become brittle and cannot be used anymore, With some of the rigging on my older models now snapping,...... can anybody please recommend a suitable replacement that is currently available?

Cheers

Tony

I am a very big fan of using human hair. Fine, elastic, bonds well with a bit of superglue. Rob some from your wife's/girlfriend's/sisters (delete as applicable - I'm not saying she's all of those things!) hairbrush

• Like 2

I am a very big fan of using human hair. Fine, elastic, bonds well with a bit of superglue. Rob some from your wife's/girlfriend's/sisters (delete as applicable - I'm not saying she's all of those things!) hairbrush

If you use human hair, beware that it's hygroscopic ie it may sag depending on weather.

• Like 2

Uschi van der rosten does some. 3 grades of elastic type thread for rigging etc.

Couple shops in uk stock it, can't remember off of the top of my head but a google search may help...

Yes, this Usci stuff is very good. I'm in Australia and managed to get it easily. Albion Alloys have become a distributor in the UK. Even the thickest of the three grades is extremely fine, they look wonderfully to scale even in 1/72. Put my former attempts with fishing line to shame :o!

There's a nice elasticity to it that keeps the tension.

Best regards

Tony

• Like 1

Knitting in Elastic is the cumbersome name for what to use at least is the equivalent of the old Aeroclub thread, and can be had in similar thickness. Made of lycra, I think. The Uschi stuff works okay but the thickest grade is much finer than Aeroclub's and if you work in 1/48th or above you may find it too fine. EZline is like thicker Uschi thread and comes in 2 thicknesses and a range of colours (none of which is really right for rigging but I use the charcoal, thinner variety for 1/48th, and it looks okay IMO.

How did you store your Aeroclub thread BTW? I ask because mine is 15 years old and hasn't shown sign of deterioration yet, either on the reel, or on the finished models exposed to direct sunlight. But then, I run a brush loaded with steel Modelmaster Metalizer over it before use, which almost certainly does something to it chemically.

Paul.

• Like 1

Thanks for all of your info lads,...... much appreciated and I`ll look into them all.

Paul- My Aeroclub monofilament has to be at least 8-10 years old and it was kept in a drawer,...... it has just gone `off' and rips when I try to take it from the reel. Pity really as there was loads left too....... could have lasted another 10 years easily.

Parabat- Human Hair- That would just gross the missus out big style plus she has it quite short nowadays,..... but I may give it a go clandestinely!!

I have been looking into the Uschi stuff but couldn`t find it anywhere and my local model shop had sold out,.....so thanks for the links etc,

All the best

Tony

• Like 1

Ton

Paul- My Aeroclub monofilament has to be at least 8-10 years old and it was kept in a drawer,...... it has just gone `off' and rips when I try to take it from the reel. Pity really as there was loads left too....... could have lasted another 10 years easily.

Tony

I guess I just got lucky with my spool then. About time I got lucky with something, mumble mumble...........................

Just a thought, does John still stock the stuff, I wonder? There was a discussion on here a while back about perishability of various rigging materials, and what constituted elastic, and what lycra. Of course it went in one ear and out the other, so you'd have to look it up, but I dimly recollect that John had something to say about it.

One cautionary note. You can carefully unpick EZline to make thinner threads. I did it for control lines to distinguish them from bracing wires, but wish I hadn't because they've all performed what looks like perishing, whereas used un-messed with I've not had anything similar happen (for the record, that was on a few Biffs and a DH9 in 1/48th, and an HP 0/100 in 1/72nd, which is ot for this thread, but still rigging).

Paul.

• Like 2