Airfix One=Eleven

I know I'm late to the party (my planned start last weekend was scuppered by the roofing felt and my shed parting company) but here goes.

I've gone for the Airfix 1-11, being as the last one I built was 36 years ago, and hopefully I can improve on the mediocre end product of that one.

The main problem I have with the kit is the too large cabin windows (I'm an open windower!), but I have an idea. Depending on how that turns out will have a bearing on which livery it gets -maybe a cheatline to cover up. You never know, if I find that old one, it might even become a stretched 500 series.

DSCN0968_zpstoewuusa.jpgDave

• Like 3

What are your plans for fixing the nose? I wish Ray Charles would reintroduce his resin replacement section which made things so much easier

I've still got a few of those, so that is a distinct possibility.

Dave

Tried a bit of work on the forward 5 cabin windows by gluing a very thin strip of plastic card around the inside edge of the windows. After trimming and a swipe of the sanding stick, I used a bit of primer to check it. I'm quite happy with the outcome as they now look more in keeping with the real thing, being as 1-11 windows are quite small with a bit more of a gap between them than the kit has. Needless to say, it looks better than a picture shows

DSCN0970_zpsxqvowzvf.jpgDave

Nice attention to detail Dave, what will you fill the windows with?

I've got several things like Kristal Kleer that work for me.

Dave

If you wish to go the cheatline route, Swissair has (had) a beautiful livery:

I've always liked the 'old' Swissair livery, and have plans to do a DC-9-50 in the delivery scheme sometime.

A check on my decal stash has so far revealed Air UK, British Island Airways, Laker, Cambrian, British Airways, Court Line, Aer Lingus, Dan-Air (3 schemes), Bavaria Germanair, Mohawk, Pacific Express and for the 500 series Monarch and European Aviation. Blimey! I didn't realise that I had so many...

Dave

I

• Like 1

A check on my decal stash has so far revealed Air UK, British Island Airways, Laker, Cambrian, British Airways, Court Line, Aer Lingus, Dan-Air (3 schemes), Bavaria Germanair, Mohawk, Pacific Express and for the 500 series Monarch and European Aviation. Blimey! I didn't realise that I had so many...

Dave

I

No B-Cal? :weep:

• Like 1

Braniff in Red or any of those Pastel shades. Like that window work. Probably wont matter to you but do you think its possible to get it protruding 1 mm or 2mm max on the inside and get a good even rim? Trying to find away of doing it or is there an oval plaststruct or equivelent extrusion you know of?. I can't find any.

Edited by bzn20

Ok, I need some (somewhat) related advice - I have located an Airfix BAC 1-11 on evilbay, going for $22 including shipping. Should I go for it?

The question is: do you really need it Alexander? :D

$22 is a good price for that kit. You can't get it in these parts for that price without shipping!

No B-Cal? :weep:

I did my second one in B.Cal back in 1980 (the first one was British United in the early seventies).

Probably wont matter to you but do you think its possible to get it protruding 1 mm or 2mm max on the inside and get a good even rim? Trying to find away of doing it or is there an oval plaststruct or equivelent extrusion you know of?. I can't find any.

I couldn't find anything suitable, so I rolled up a thin strip of very thin plastic card and inserted it into the opening, then ran some liquid glue around.. It has increased the depth of the window opening so it looks more 1-11 than Viscount, if you know what I mean.

Ok, I need some (somewhat) related advice - I have located an Airfix BAC 1-11 on evilbay, going for $22 including shipping. Should I go for it?

I would! Just a few minor alterations and improvements will give you a decent model. I do have an Authentic Airliners kit as well, which is very nice, but I couldn't afford a fleet of them, sadly.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Any progress?

Hi Ray,

sadly, progress has been hampered by my need to have an injection into my right eye at the start of last week. Unfortunately, it left my eyeball the same shade as an Air Greenland A330! Thankfully it is now improving a bit, so I can resume work on the 1-11 asap.

Dave

Hi Ray,

sadly, progress has been hampered by my need to have an injection into my right eye at the start of last week. Unfortunately, it left my eyeball the same shade as an Air Greenland A330! Thankfully it is now improving a bit, so I can resume work on the 1-11 asap.

Dave

My eyes are watering just thinking about that Dave.

All the best.

Chris

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Some progress on improving the wings;

Outer wing fence removed and new one cut from plastic card and fitted in the correct position.

Top of flap track fairings sanded down slightly as they seemed a bit too high when compared to photos of real aircraft.

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Untitled/BAC-111-207AJ-One-Eleven/637892/M

Outer edge of aileron scribed correctly instead of continuing to end of the wing.

Leading edge landing light recess filled with scrap plastic.

Underside join running along flaps and aileron filled and sanded smooth.

I've given them a quick coat of Halfords primer to check for imperfections. The photo shows the top half of a wing and a modified one on the right.

Dave

DSCN0983_zps39w8yvv0.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Ray,

Dave

Stroll on, wasn't expecting that on a wip ! Hope it sorts itself out, making me cringe.