Glazing in and polished, interior given a touch up and glazing given a coat of Kleer. The small windows I'll glaze with Krystal Kleer.

image_zpsaw5keg8x.jpeg

Also completed interior although the cockpit is a bit dark. I'll see if a dry brush can listen it up.

image_zpsagcysifw.jpeg

image_zpscno4hw9h.jpeg

• Like 3

Now the big challenge. Glueing both sides of the fuselage together. I used epoxy taped up with Tamiya tape. Doesn't look too bad from this angle. Will need cleaning up and bit of sanding and filling.

image_zpshrvmkcxx.jpeg

however the front end is not at all that great. Definitely need a good bit of work. Believe it or not, massive step and gap in the Coaming in front of the cockpit apart, the nose section fits pretty closely.  I'll leave it all to harden up for a day or two before starting to tidy up. 

image_zpsiutj5xmg.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CliffB said:

You are doing sterling work 825.  The kit looks a bit of brute, but hopefully there's a pretty little Devon in there somewhere!:popcorn:

Cliff

Agreed, keep up the good work and I'm sure you will knock into shape.

Cliff and Nimrod54, thanks guys. It is a bit of a challenge but it does look reasonably good despite its failings. Or perhaps my failings. 

It it will be a job to tidy up the fuselage join but hopefully once that's done I'll be on the home straight. 

• Like 2

Started on tidying up the fuselage. The top isn't too bad so far, although the combination of origianl resin, resin glue and Milliput may need some combining at the end of the day.

image_zpsjvowje0r.jpeg

The underside is a different kettle of fish and although getting there, has a bit to go.

image_zpsk8j2orzv.jpeg

Anyhow, I decided to put the wings on before I mix up come more Milliput and from a distance it doesn't look to bad. Especially if one has one's rose tinted spectacles on.

image_zpsf41nkg7f.jpeg

image_zpsmqhxux9b.jpeg

Another session of filing and smoothing beckons. But it least is starting to look like a plane rather than a concrete blob. 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, TrojanThunder said:

Once there is a coat of paint on it you will never know there was half a hardware store of filler used on this one! :D Glad you are still progressing.

Thanks for your confidence Ray. I must admit that it does look better in the flesh compared to the photograph. I'm just off to mix up another batch of Miliput and see how that goes. 

At at least it looks like a plane now. 

• Like 1

That is quite a piece of work! The tips for working with resin kits (I've never built one) are invaluable - I've been lusting (?) after a Magna SA Pioneer. As you say 'the only game in town'. I feel for you regarding the imminent Devon kit - way back, I chopped up a Heron to make into a Dove (as per an Airfix Mag article - Alan W. Hall?), I'd just finished the fuselage when a conversion kit fuselage came out. I bought the conversion kit which did at least make good use of the Airfix wings. I'll be watching your work and taking notes......

• Like 1

On 07/10/2016 at 8:30 PM, alancmlaird said:

That is quite a piece of work! The tips for working with resin kits (I've never built one) are invaluable - I've been lusting (?) after a Magna SA Pioneer. As you say 'the only game in town'. I feel for you regarding the imminent Devon kit - way back, I chopped up a Heron to make into a Dove (as per an Airfix Mag article - Alan W. Hall?), I'd just finished the fuselage when a conversion kit fuselage came out. I bought the conversion kit which did at least make good use of the Airfix wings. I'll be watching your work and taking notes......

It has been a test of patience and I am learning how to use Milliput more effectively. Everything takes time as well, due to glue and filler drying time. I prefer epoxy rather than cyanoacrylate for large joins and although I use the 5 minute variety it does take a lot more time to cure and be workable. 

Good luck with your SA Pioneer. I picked up the Devon at Scale Model World last year. There was a trader who had loads of Magna Models. I don't recall any Pioneers but there may have been. I have an interest in the Pioneers as my dad worked as an engineer at Scottish Aviation at Prestwick in the mid 50's and probably worked on them.

• Like 1

Done a lot of work on. Getting the underside into some sort of order. It might not come out awfully well in the photograph as there isn't a lot of contrast between the resin and the Milliput but it does need a little more work as there are some cracks and troughs. 

IMG_1360_zpsrufrdlfn.jpg

The nose has been attached with epoxy and left to cure. The fit isn't too bad considering the amount of tidying up that was needed on the fuselage front. There will be a need for another Milliput session. 

IMG_1359_zpstentrpib.jpg

Now with a goodly application of Milliput. Needs to be left for a while to harden and out with the sandpaper.. Top

IMG_1363_zpsxdb6cme4.jpg

and bottom

IMG_1364_zpsm4ibdqhm.jpg

• Like 2

Slowly but surely getting there

IMG_1370_zpsyeovxezj.jpg

Edited by 825
Edit pictures. Photobucket seems to have changed
  • Like 1

Underneath needed quite lot of work to get the transition between fuselage and wing looking respectable. Not 100% but should be OK.

IMG_1368_zpsmihl6sn8.jpg

Though not quite as smooth as it could be

IMG_1369_zpsyq02khzc.jpg

Out with some Mr Surfacer and some more sanding gives us this.

IMG_1374_zps17zeq21f.jpg

bottom

IMG_1375_zpspjjx2uyr.jpg

Now time to get the tailplane on, mask the cabin windows and get a coat of primer on before putting some paint on. (And a look in the box of transfers to get enough to finish off. I think the 772 Squadron crest will be the biggest challenge)

Edited by 825
Lost a picture
  • Like 1

Here we are at the end of today, tail assembly done and sanded down.  Now need to mask the windows porpoerly before spraying on some primer.

IMG_1378_zpscolk7zt7.jpg

Here is the back end. I kept looking at the fin and rudder and it came to me. It's pretty much the same as the Mosquito, so it looks like DH kept the same design for the Dove as the Hornet and Mossie. 

IMG_1382_zpsn3yh4i1g.jpg

That's it for today

• Like 1

I had hoped to prime this today but no such luck. I keep finding bits to fill, and a wing snapped off. Luckily a stream of cyanoacrylate and some firm pushing back into place worked. I have masked up the main cabin windows which took a little time and there is only one filled hole left to sand down. I think!

IMG_1389_zpsihqueccy.jpg

Unfortunately, I have a busy week coming up, with one night away with work and we are off to Edinburgh on Friday for some rugby, so little opportunity to set up for spraying. So there may be a little hiatus. I have looked out enough transfers though and probably can 'bodge' up a station badge for the tail. 

• Like 3