1/72 Trumpeter MiG-29 (9.12) - USSR Red 46 - FINISHED

New(ish) to this site and eager to participate in my first group build.

This is the Trumpeter MiG-29 (9.12) which I have been aching to build since it came out since the MiG-29 is my favorite jet of all time (aesthetically speaking) and only now do we have decent kits in The One True Scale.

This will be Red 46 of a Guards regiment as depicted in a Hi Decals set from 1990. A reasonable assumption to assume this was a Frontal Aviation unit in the late 80s?

I started this kit on Friday but have not had time to post pics until now.

Friday

After a lot of checking with online images, I used Vallejo Model Color 905 as a close approximation of MiG-29 cockpit. Sometimes it appears as a light gray, sometimes as a brighter blue but sources suggest a blue-gray. I was very convinced at the result.

One of my initial criticisms of this kit is that the cockpit tapers back in the second half quite noticeably, rather than being more oval shaped as in the real thing. Zvezda has it right, as did Italeri before it. The implication therefore is that the curvature of the front fuselage is probably incorrect to some degree.

IMG_20160715_185805.jpg

Trumpeter provides decals for the panels which is a bit of a shame. They also come printed with an outline which is also somewhat strange and makes it look cartoonish. The main instrument panel decal cannot be used directly, it needs to be cut up into various pieces so it can fit in nicely which is rather annoying.

IMG_20160715_200211.jpg

Could look better I guess. Then again, Zvezda also uses decals for the cockpit so no huge disadvantage.

IMG_20160715_213100.jpg

Edited by Phantome
  • Like 1

Saturday

Built the fuselage. Fit is relatively good and goes down well. I was worried about the intakes since those were horrible on the old Italeri but went without a hitch after some light sanding to get them to align.

However, there is a rather annoying fit problem with the nose. Because the only sensible panel line join (just under the leading edge extensions) occurs after the nose profile begins narrowing, it is impossible to engineer without slide molding. Zvezda seems to have overcome this by making the nose a separate two-piece component that joins from the top/bottom. However, Trumpeter has taken the route of every other MiG kit before it and joined it where in real life there is no panel line. This would not be a huge problem if the fit were perfect. Unfortunately, it is the only part of the fuselage that the fit is rather bad: the edge shows some molding wear, and the top and bottom pieces do not align perfectly (top half is slightly wider). This requires sanding and putty and the sanding inevitably gets rid of some of the very fine detailing.

This is, to me, the only serious flaw in the kit. Were I to build this kit again I would use plastic sprue on the inside to create a tab so that the two halves lock into place. I've done this on other kits where there's a similar problem (such as the Academy F/A-18).

IMG_20160716_010910.jpg

Primed with Tamiya gray primer.

IMG_20160720_205625.jpg

• Like 2

Time for painting. I have a set of AKAN paints for the MiG-29, specifically to get that unique green-gray which no other manufacturer produces and can't seem to replicate otherwise.

I have to say, AKAN paints are f-a-n-t-a-s-t-i-c. They spray similar to Tamiya (very fine, very dry, and very matte) but have far superior brush painting qualities, which makes it great for smaller pieces. It is a bloody shame they are not more widely sold (I got mine from a Hong Kong seller on eBay).

This is the base light gray with some post-shading (random lighter shade, then a darker shade on the main panel lines)

IMG_20160720_211833.jpg

Here's with the green-gray, sprayed freehand

IMG_20160720_220631.jpg

And finally, the radome gray and and black

IMG_20160720_232514.jpg

• Like 1

Wow, you are certainly cracking on with this one Phantome and it is looking good :popcorn:

Cliff

Thanks! For some silly reason thought that the deadline was next Sunday but just noticed it's August 14th, hence the "need-to-finish-at-all-costs" marathon run ;)

(Did have time to enjoy the sun though)

• Like 1

It's decal time. First off, a coat of Future to make things shiny and chrome (Mad Max Fury Road reference)

IMG_20160722_203937.jpg

First, the Hi-Decal decals for Red 46. I have to say, Hi-Decal are AWFUL. They silvered despite lavish use of Microset. They are also quite thick. Between this and bad experiences with Techmod decals I think I will avoid any from Eastern Europe if possible. Although the 46s, guards emblem and fin stars ended up relatively ok, the wing stars silvered too much to my liking and so I removed them with tape and used the kit decals which I think are a bit too big for USSR-era stars. Will have to live with that. On the positive side, the kit has extensive stenciling but I was also not too pleased with the decal quality. Although thinner than Hi-Decals, there was some silvering as well.

IMG_20160722_233809.jpg

• Like 1

Looks excellent, especially considered the speed of your build, top stuff! Sorry to hear about the decals, I used some Mig-21 decals from Hi-decal and Techmod and conversely they were pretty darn good, thanks for a heads up on the Mig-29 ones though!

Looks excellent, especially considered the speed of your build, top stuff! Sorry to hear about the decals, I used some Mig-21 decals from Hi-decal and Techmod and conversely they were pretty darn good, thanks for a heads up on the Mig-29 ones though!

My experience with Techmod was that they were extremely thin and delicate and the larger ones practically disintegrated/curled-into-oblivion if they were heavy on carrier film. They also did not conform to panel lines or rivets at all even with lavish use of Microsol. Specifically this refers to one of their F4U Corsair sets.

On the positive side, the quality of printing is excellent, you can practically read the tiny stencils.

• Like 1

Monday

And so we finish. I am incredibly proud that I finished this at such a breakneck speed. It helped that aside from the nose issues, the kit was relatively easy to build and did not need much in the way of putty or sanding. The AKAN paints were a delight to use as well and I did the entire paint job in one sitting (another rarity!)

Here's with the missiles done and only awaiting a coat of Vallejo matte

IMG_20160723_170954.jpg

And the finished thing

IMG_20160724_164059.jpg

I'm going to take some more flattering pics with natural light for the finished gallery.

Thinking of having a go at the Zvezda 9.13 although am a bit annoyed at the closed top air intakes which for me is a classic Fulcrum feature. Maybe will go for Trumpeter yet again and turning it into a Ukrainian bird with that lovely light blue camo. Decisions decisions ;)

Edited by Phantome
  • Like 1

Very nice! Will you enter anymore models? Probably get through 5-6 more at this rate :thumbsup:

Haha tempted. This is NOT my usual build speed, not by a long shot. :P

Would love to build an early Flanker but not sure I can get my hands on the relevant AKAN paint set so quickly since I would only have 2 weeks to finish it off

• Like 1