1/72 Academy B-29 Enola Gay

Good evening,

I`ve just started building on my academy B29 in 1/72.

I want to build it as Enola Gay, the bomber which dropped the first atomic bomb ever used in a conflict, Little Boy, on Hiroshima, Japan, on the 6. August 1945.

The bomb killed 20.000 to 90.000 people and three days later the second and last atomic bomb was used in a conflict, Fat Man.

Asfar as I have build the kit was pretty good except many ejection marks on the inside and that there is no detail provided on instrument panel which are made with decals, which I don`t mind as I`ll build it with the Eduard etched stuff, also I will use the Eduard precut masks.

So here are the sprues, etched stuff, decals, masks and instructions

28440442361_040fec7298_k.jpgb29-1 by nivelnnamkcurts, auf Flickr

On the far right you can see some bits I had already cut out to watch

Here is the progress of today:

27901838994_e842b10e55_k.jpgb29-2 by nivelnnamkcurts, auf Flickr

The assembled cockpit floor/base with some sub assemblies missing

28518181935_7afd5dd834_k.jpgb29-3 by nivelnnamkcurts, auf Flickr

The bulkheads, bombs, a seat and consoles.

I have cut the fins on fat man to replace them with sheet as there position was wrong (while I don`t want to build the Bockscar, but I think of building a vignette where it is put in the bomb pit on tinian)

28518193705_ba02882d7b_k.jpgb29-4 by nivelnnamkcurts, auf Flickr

Comparsion of one pilotseat with Eduard seatbelts and one without; would you say that their positioning is right?

28518203905_cdbcb19b9f_k.jpgb29-5 by nivelnnamkcurts, auf Flickr

Most sub-assemblies of the cockpit put together with blu tack (well the german equivalent);(no worries the back instrument panel isn`t wrong attached; I just intend to put the photo film behind it after painting)

28412888282_59bba52c17_k.jpgb29-6 by nivelnnamkcurts, auf Flickr

One last question:

In the last picture you can see the bomb gunners position.

In Eduard instructions it isn`clear, if the stool like thing in the front is supposed to be the seet for the bombardier (as setup in the picture) or the mount for the Norden bombsight.

What would you say?

I couldn`t find any clear reference pics aswell, so help would be apreciated.

To the next update,

Levin

Edited by Levin
  • Like 10

Good Evening Levin,

Very interesting subject and a good start. I will be following this with great interest.

Have you seen this?:

https://namu.wiki/w/B-17

You have to scroll down the page but there is a very good photo of the Bombardier's position. To my eye it looks like the "stool" is the bomb sight mount.

BR,

Antti

• Like 1

Thanks Antti

I hadn`t seen this yet but I think you`re right

As being a foreign english speaker I have to ask what BR meens :D (it is probably obvious but I am a bit blind on those things)

greetings Levin

Hello , I'm in here of course. Nice to see a Superfortress. Like to know how it looks with the eduard set. Good progress. Cheers

Thanks

Question from a Newbie: should I quote things in the future when I answer?

Looking good. I never finished my Bocks Car from 15 years ago. Must finish it someday. Watching with interest.

Thanks

That is as old as I am :D

Hello you have to quote , if want to reply on my post. If you like to quote on a part of something you will have to quote and delete to not inetersting parts in my quote. cheers

Thanks for your advice. I'll mind that

Hello Levin,

I use BR very often; it means "Best Regards". I don't know if it is correct as English isn't my first language either.

BR :winkgrin:

Antti

Ah,

Thanks

BR ( :D )

Levin

Easy to find out what the stand for the bomb sight looks like in a B-29. Simply type in "B-29 bomb sight" into the search engine of your web browser and select images to see pictures of it and its stand.

Gondor

• Like 1

Easy to find out what the stand for the bomb sight looks like in a B-29. Simply type in "B-29 bomb sight" into the search engine of your web browser and select images to see pictures of it and its stand.

Gondor

I did but all the pictures that turned up were either way shot from the outside or from an angle were the sights itself covered its stand up

Regards

Levin

Try these three web pages below. You should be able to extrapolate all the information you need between the images shown on those pages.

http://www.warbirdinformationexchange.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=515873

http://www.twinbeech.com/norden_bombsight.htm

http://www.grambsphoto.com/keyword/bomb/

Regards

Gondor

• Like 1

Update:

Since the last update not much has happened 'cept that I finished up most off the inside parts and sub assemblies.

While building the front landing gear i wondered where the eduard instructions want me to attach a horseshoe like part;

like this:

28483555412_ab2d7564c8_k.jpgb29-8 by nivelnnamkcurts, auf Flickr

like this:

27974437773_74b2f7bdd4_k.jpgb29-9 by nivelnnamkcurts, auf Flickr

or should I just leave it away, as it looks in this picture:

http://www.b29-superfortress.com/images/nuclear-museum-albuquerque/b29-superfortress-albuquerque-front-landing-gear.jpg

I apreciate some advice, actually to me it seems mostlikely to be left away

So to end to two pics from the animal world:

Ar rare porcupine-ish animal with somehow B-29 parts on its spikes:

27974491333_a9b70c9bac_k.jpgb29-11 by nivelnnamkcurts, auf Flickr

(I know that joke was bad)

and a little fellow I found under my table:

28306052570_8ec26d7201_k.jpgb29-10 by nivelnnamkcurts, auf Flickr

(I didn`t killed it, it was dead already)

The next update will be when I paint the parts mostlikely in the next few days

Regards

Levin

P.S. :

I want to excuse for the pics as I man pretty bad at shooting photos and recognizing what is worth to be photographed or not; so I assume it is quite boring or?

But it's my first WIP so I hope I can improve

Edited by Levin

Update:

As announced I started painting the interior today.

I also found my old digital camera so that I can make pictures easier during bulding (while I still have problems doing that :banghead: )

So I painted the general interior Green Zinc Chromate

28014162134_3892c3ad34_k.jpgb29-12 by nivelnnamkcurts, auf Flickr

and some bits and bobs black

28014165514_64ec06b10a_k.jpgb29-13 by nivelnnamkcurts, auf Flickr

than I painted the details after the 360° cockpit walkarounds (and also messed up with my dry brushing)

28524644062_0a358445c6_k.jpgb29-15 by nivelnnamkcurts, auf Flickr

(I have to add the upper seat belts on the pilotsseats)

28524654052_b426324377_k.jpgb29-16 by nivelnnamkcurts, auf Flickr

here is also a picture off the cal. 50 barrels for the rear turret I had forgot them in the last update (though they look better in real life :photo: )

28524657312_1634e1a730_k.jpgb29-17 by nivelnnamkcurts, auf Flickr

28014976563_2b243c262f_k.jpgb29-18 by nivelnnamkcurts, auf Flickr

also I got (again :puke: ) a question:

In the instructions this part is supposed to be attached next to the stand off the Bombsight while in the pictures, walkarounds, etc. it isn`t there.

What should I do?

I personally would leave but I might be wrong.

As always comments, criticism and questions are welcome.

Regards and Thank you in advance

Levin

Edit:

I also broke one of those windowframes(?) on the instrumentpanel

Edited by Levin
  • Like 3

As this is a special day for this thread, this is one to be aware, how fragile things here are. And furthermore how (not) to deal with some things as long as we like to live here in a reasonable way. The sun takes 10000 of them every day but will absorb us, when she makes her final stand. I don't want to live here at that time. So be careful a bit nowadays:

http://de.musicplayon.com/play?v=364505

Sorry, it's not the LP version.

• Like 1

Update:

As announced I started painting the interior today.

I also found my old digital camera so that I can make pictures easier during bulding (while I still have problems doing that :banghead: )

So I painted the general interior Green Zinc Chromate

28014162134_3892c3ad34_k.jpgb29-12 by nivelnnamkcurts, auf Flickr

and some bits and bobs black

28014165514_64ec06b10a_k.jpgb29-13 by nivelnnamkcurts, auf Flickr

than I painted the details after the 360° cockpit walkarounds (and also messed up with my dry brushing)

28524644062_0a358445c6_k.jpgb29-15 by nivelnnamkcurts, auf Flickr

(I have to add the upper seat belts on the pilotsseats)

28524654052_b426324377_k.jpgb29-16 by nivelnnamkcurts, auf Flickr

here is also a picture off the cal. 50 barrels for the rear turret I had forgot them in the last update (though they look better in real life :photo: )

28524657312_1634e1a730_k.jpgb29-17 by nivelnnamkcurts, auf Flickr

In the instructions this part is supposed to be attached next to the stand off the Bombsight while in the pictures, walkarounds, etc. it isn`t there.

What should I do?

As always comments, criticism and questions are welcome.

Regards and Thank you in advance

Levin

Edit:

I also broke one of those windowframes(?) on the instrumentpanel

This could be a 1945 camera ,but not sure. So I would just place it. It's possible for that mission on that place.

Edited by bbudde
  • Like 1

Sorry, my quote mishappend somewhat, so I enlarged the letters. Anyway at least this one is something, which I like to get a bit reflected on things like sun, nuclear power and things like that:

Cheers

• Like 1

:popcorn:

Thanks for starting this WIP - nice work.

René

Thanks René

As this is a special day for this thread, this is one to be aware, how fragile things here are. And furthermore how (not) to deal with some things as long as we like to live here in a reasonable way. The sun takes 10000 of them every day but will absorb us, when she makes her final stand. I don't want to live here at that time. So be careful a bit nowadays:

http://de.musicplayon.com/play?v=364505

Sorry, it's not the LP version.

Being honest I have to admit that I completely forgot that the 6th August is going to be today, well ... I never get the date right in the holidays, so thank you for that reminder.

What should I do?

This could be a 1945 camera ,but not sure. So I would just place it. It's possible for that mission on that place.

Thanks for for answer, though it looks more lever-ish to me (I should had mentioned that earlier ... Sorry) maybe I get another picture online today as that one doesn't get it well

I will also try get them pictures of how far I am online today (though I didn't made much progress)

Regards

Levin

Edited by Levin

Not sure if that's a camera Levin but don't know if these will help with identification of interior items:

http://www.cooksontributeb29.com/uploads/5/8/6/5/5865941/howlett_interiors1.40.pdf

http://www.cooksontributeb29.com/uploads/5/8/6/5/5865941/howlett_interiors41.80.pdf

Tony

• Like 1

Not sure if that's a camera Levin but don't know if these will help with identification of interior items:

http://www.cooksontributeb29.com/uploads/5/8/6/5/5865941/howlett_interiors1.40.pdf

http://www.cooksontributeb29.com/uploads/5/8/6/5/5865941/howlett_interiors41.80.pdf

Tony

At first:

Thanks for the links - those documents are great - though i ask why those things never turn up when I search something :banghead:

Actually I don`t think it is a camera, as (I hope the pictures gets well) it more seems like some levers, so i would say that it is Academys "interpretation" of the connection to the autopilot

Regards

Levin

• Like 1

Update:

So as announced I almost finished the interior - the only things missing are the levers on one the pilots sideconsoles - which isn't attached either - and I managed it to ... ehm ... "remove" some of the levers on the flight engineers consol (I somehow have problems with levers :poo: )

So here are the pics:

28729938861_832f1c9557_k.jpgb29-20 by nivelnnamkcurts, auf Flickr

Most sub-assemblies of the cockpit built together - the flightengineers consol, the rear and middle bulkhead, one sideconsol and the pilots seats still missing

28189536044_f8f5615d31_k.jpgb29-22 by nivelnnamkcurts, auf Flickr

One side of the cockpit with fishing-led (no idea what its called - I don`t go fishing)

I thought of no more led under the cockpit and instead some in the engine nacelles what do you say?

28701752462_7fecc82dc4_k.jpgb29-19 by nivelnnamkcurts, auf Flickr

the fuselage halves painted I fist wanted to let them complete interior interior green ( or zinc chromate) but Tony`s (TheBaron) links showed me that the bombbays are silver/NMF and the rear part zinc chromate yellow ( I assume)

28775399456_66ddbbcc5d_k.jpgb29-21 by nivelnnamkcurts, auf Flickr

Bomb rack for little boy

28522704500_0d4bc5131a_k.jpgb29-23 by nivelnnamkcurts, auf Flickr

Not so good picture of the myterious part

and ...

28775423626_94124378da_k.jpgb29-24 by nivelnnamkcurts, auf Flickr

the instructions showing it

... its D49

COmments critcs etc are welcome

regards

Levin

• Like 3

Don't forget that the upper front turret needs to be scratch built as that hangs down inside the front compartment. Another thing that people might miss is that the astrodome, the small clear bubble behind the upper front turret, needs to be accessed from the connecting tube between the front and rear crew compartments.

Looking good with what you have done so far though :goodjob:

Gondor

• Like 1