How to make a Mosquito - Stuka/Corsair cross

Why not make a funky looking Mosquito with Stuka wings?

All you need is an antique Airfix Mosquito FBVI kit. First of all spend hours building the kit as shown in the instructions and then leave in front of a glass window on the hottest day of the year.

IMG_2941.jpg

IMG_2944.jpg

airfix_mosquito.jpg

Edited by old thumper
  • Like 7

Oops!

Obviously this was not the tropicalised version.

It is still suitable for competitions.

And it could still win prizes, though in what category I'm not sure.

• Like 1

Been there and done that.

The first ever kit I built with my dad, some 40 years ago, an Airfix Meteor. Painted and put on the fire place to dry. Must have been winter as the fire was lit. Came down in the morning to find the wing that was overhanging the edge had dropped through 90 degrees.

Obvious when you think about it.

• Like 1

It looks like we have all done it at sometime, mine was an even ancienter (is that a word?) Frog Gannet it ended up imitating its real life wings folded stance.

Trev.

• Like 1

What a shame. And so nicely built and painted from an old kit.

Thanks very much. I built it for my classic Airfix collection and I was quite pleased with the retro look of it. Never mind though I will pick up another at a show and build a nicer one, they are only about a fiver and I can savage the props, canopy and wheels from this one.

They had trouble with the real ones in the heat too :winkgrin:

Real shame

Perhaps if I had painted it in aluminium dope I would have got away with it, like with the real thing.

Been there and done that.

The first ever kit I built with my dad, some 40 years ago, an Airfix Meteor. Painted and put on the fire place to dry. Must have been winter as the fire was lit. Came down in the morning to find the wing that was overhanging the edge had dropped through 90 degrees.

Obvious when you think about it.

Heart breaking at that age.

Too bad. Mind you, with that kit it's probably more accurate now!

Yes it is a bit of a rough likeness.

I recall, as a boy in the hot summer of 1976...annual pilgrimage to Finningley and purchasing an Airfix Folland Gnat (red plastic) in the old bubble-pack.

Left it on my dad's parcel shelf while we watched the show...came back and it was just a single blob of red gunk.

I cried.

• Like 2

Dad was building me a Red Arrows Hawk from a 1/72 Airfix kit, he used some automotive spray over a primer and we thought it would help it to dry if we put it a reasonable distance from an electric fan heater.

Ever seen a BAe Hawk with a droop nose?

Dad was building me a Red Arrows Hawk from a 1/72 Airfix kit, he used some automotive spray over a primer and we thought it would help it to dry if we put it a reasonable distance from an electric fan heater.

Washed the sprues of an MPM Meteor F.8. Overlooked proximity of fan heater and returned a few minutes later to find half of each sprue rather droopy. And because of the way MPM lay out the parts on the sprues, one, or one half, of everything was ruined so not even a windfall for the spares box.

• Like 1