Revell B727-100 Germania

Hi,

I see that Revell have released a 1/144 scale B727-100 with Germania markings. Does anyone know if this is a new kit? Revell had a B727-100 many years ago and that kit would be showing its age by now! if it is new, then it could be an improvement.....

I was wondering that too! Chances are it will be the old one but we'll have to see....

In any case, the scheme shown on the proposed box seem identical to the current on used on their 737s.

It's still good to have it back. Once you sand off the rivets you have the basis of a decent model. If you want the perfect 727-100 there's always Authentic Airliners

• Like 1

It even includes the "stand that isn't fit to hold the model" - at least it wasn't ca. 35 years back when I built mine as a boy.

I'm not much into airliners, is it really better than the Airfix (before the mould stretch) ? I mean, I didn't find the unglazed cockpit and indented windows particularly convincing back then, and I was only 8 or 9.

The Revell 727 was long considered to have the best shapes of any Boeing model, as long as you planed off all the rivets. The nose is pretty much exactly correct, something Airfix never quite managed.

It's the old kit.

It's a lasr minute kit, because the contract with Ferrari was to expensive, so Revell make some "last minutes kits from his stash, like the United States or the Predator ship and some other kits.

modelldoc

It even includes the "stand that isn't fit to hold the model" - at least it wasn't ca. 35 years back when I built mine as a boy.

I'm not much into airliners, is it really better than the Airfix (before the mould stretch) ? I mean, I didn't find the unglazed cockpit and indented windows particularly convincing back then, and I was only 8 or 9.

It's "better" than the Airfix 727-100 in the sense that the Minicraft 727-200 is "better" than the Airfix 727-200 but at the end of the day it is the modeller's skills and the amount of effort he/she is prepared to put in which matter. As Jessica says, the shape is pretty much OK and that's by far the most important thing. The application of basic modelling skills will sort anything else that's wrong.

Is the Revell 727-100 a state of the art modern kit on a par with the Revell A350? Of course not.

Can it be made into a good model with time and effort? Absolutely. Any serious airliner modeller will sand off the rivets and either open up the windows or fill them in. Modern products such as Authentic Airliners window decals are readily available and make a major difference for minimal effort.

Once the kit hits the shops in my part of the world I'll be buying one to build in Hapag-Lloyd colours.

Have a look at the link above for some pictures of a built up example.

In my opinion, the nose is as bad as that on some Minicraft Boeings.

I'll stick with the Airfix offering as I feel it's a far superior starting point.

Chris.

• Like 2

That's very strange. I built the Revell kit about ten years ago and had no issue with the nose shape. The model no longer exists (it fell victim to an unsuccessful refurbishment) otherwise I'd post a photo but this beauty shows the nose exactly as I remember it.

One of two things must have happened - Revell have done something stupid to the moulds (please no) or the perspective of the photographs is wrong. The only way to tell will be to see the actual kit.

• Like 1

That's very strange. I built the Revell kit about ten years ago and had no issue with the nose shape. The model no longer exists (it fell victim to an unsuccessful refurbishment) otherwise I'd post a photo but this beauty shows the nose exactly as I remember it.

One of two things must have happened - Revell have done something stupid to the moulds (please no) or the perspective of the photographs is wrong. The only way to tell will be to see the actual kit.

I bought here expecting a package from Germany.

You may be right there Dave. I built one many moons ago along with the 707 they had at the time I don't remember it being that bad to be honest.

Perhaps the builder of the example in your link has improved on the kit.

Good spot by the way.

All the best

Chris

• Like 1

I built the Revell kit several years ago. I used the clear cockpit part from a Daco 737 and the center intake from Authentic Airliners. The nose looks a lot better than the photo shows, and it definitely looks better than Minicraft's or Airfix's. Plan on lots of filling and sanding. The nose gear wheels are much too large and need to be replaced. Mine is in rehab, being rebuilt with the gear up.

Ben

DSCN3342.jpg

Ben

• Like 3

I built one OOB over 20 years ago with AHS Ward Air Canada decals.No decals for the windows used back in the day.Its still in my collection but in urgent need of refurbishing.

It looks a lot better than the Airfix outing.As Revell re-released it with Germania decals with lots of details,I had to buy one.Its the origininal ages old mould,just this time around moulded in white plastic.

As nice as Authentic Airliners model kits are,and I have some of AA's kits in my stash,I am nonetheless very happy to see this old Revell kit re-released

There is a model built from the new kit on the Airliner Hobby Model World Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=295663770824907&set=gm.1486850521340564&type=3&theater

Looking at it and the post from Paris above the cockpit windows are obviously wrong (more sales for Authentic Airliners window decals!) but otherwise everything else looks pretty much as it was and the kit is still the basis for a good model.