Boeing 717 - Finished

Here's my Boeing 717 as promised....

What do I have to make it?

Fly DC-9 kit (many of them in fact.........)

B717_01_zps9xe4o6vn.jpg

but I only need one. The one I will use has been around the world a few times as a decal and part fitting mule so it will need a good clean.

A decent set of drawings is good. These have been verified from actual dimensions

B717_02_zpsmieevins.jpg

A Contrail 717 - very heavy resin kit. Appears to be reasonably accurate but not as fine detail as Fly kit.

B717_04_zps35l2bc4n.jpg

Various bits and pieces from the Contrail kit and elsewhere.

B717_03a_zpsz0kykp1s.jpg

An Ozmods conversion... made for the old Airfix kit and not of much use.

B717_03_zpsrgv2tjlr.jpg

Okay, that's a start

• Like 5

The 717 is one of my favorite jets.

I picked up the Pas Models 17 and it looks great although the molds are worn....there was a lot of excess resin to clean up and some parts were just unusable. Pas was good enough to offer replacements though.

Ryan

Edited by The 3rd Placer

It's amazing what you learn on this website - I'd always thought that 717 was an omission in the Boeing sequence.

The 717 is based on the Douglas DC-9, and comes after the MD-80 and MD-90 series aircraft. It was shimmied into the naming line, where, as you said, there had been an omission.

• 2 weeks later...

Not so much a scrapbox build as a way of using up some of the parts I have accumulated. The parallel purpose of this thread is to get me moving on the 717 conversion I have been working on. I have acquired enough spare parts to build a 717.

I have been studying the plan above a bit more closely and I think the engines shown are BR710 rather than the BR715 used on the 717. There is a significant increase in fan diameter from 48 to 58 inches which may explain why the engines look smaller than photographs indicate.

I plan to do it as a Qantaslink aircraft and I have a set of Hawkeye decals. These were originally produced for the underscale Airfix kit but Mr Hawkeye (Peter Mahoney) has kindly scaled up a set to fit the Fly kit.

B717_05_zpsxjq02txe.jpg

So, the first actual step is to slice off the DC-9 tail. Simply scribe the line along the tail-fuselage joint until it comes away cleanly.

B717_06_zps5dlt5fzp.jpg

More to come - hopefully a bit faster then the leisurely pace so far.

• Like 4

The next thing to do is more cutting.......

B717_07_zpstzy5om96.jpg

The tail cone has been removed as have the engine pylons. I have marked and drilled out the one third and two thirds distances on the pylon base to provide future locating pins.

The a new 'beaver-tail' tail cone is made up

B717_08_zpswsfcgahe.jpg

The lines are re-scribed where the seams have been filled and the tail-cone is removed on the same line it was attached by......

• Like 2

I'm having a think about the engines. I can't see for the life of me what the Contrails pylons fit on to. Maybe I should read the instructions and it will all become clear.......

B717__10_zpsgroq2wx6.jpg

...........or maybe not?

What are those instructions trying to say? Is that a T-tail A320?

• Like 1

As I recall the original Boeing Model 717 became the KC-135.

That's right ,the 717 was the Boeing Model No for the USAF designated KC-135 series (C-135,RC-135 etc) . As the 717 number wasn't "used" (just became C-135 )Boeings re-designated the MD95 ( I think) the 717.

The Boeing 720 started off as the 717 -200,then 707-020 and eventually settled on the 720-020 as it was a different aeroplane to both the C-135 & 707.

To be fair to the Contrails kit, it does have pylons on the fuselage

IMG_1105_zpsdk5o27mv.jpg

Instead of the Contrail or Ozmods kit ones, which could be laboriously modified, I cast a couple from the 3D printed master for the Red Roo engine and pylon

IMG_1104_zpsmcz6ve5a.jpg

These should be okay as long as I run some pins from the fuselage, through the pylon, into the engine.

Someone told me airliner models were dead easy.......... huh!

• Like 1

Someone told me airliner models were dead easy.......... huh!

They are Ed, when you pick a mainstream kit and build it OOB! :D

I have had 2 disastrous attempts at building a Lockheed Electra from the Hasegawa kit. I suppose it did not help that the forward resin fuselage plug I had kept 'weeping' and would not take paint...

Electra%201_zpsa9sqiwur.jpg

surgery1_zpsrvtctqi3.jpg

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

A bit of progress. The 717 wing-body fairing is larger than the DC-9 so I have bulked it up with some filler. More than a token gesture but not a lot more.

IMG_1106_zps3kqvc8j5.jpg

The engines have been added. it was quite difficult lining up the pylon and engine together but I wanted a spar all the way through.

IMG_1124_zpssoavyscd.jpg

The flap hinges are larger and have vortex cones on their rear ends. The kit ones were modified and I'll cast some from these masters.

IMG_1135_zps7imczyqw.jpg

A large thank-you to Graeme H for his assistance so far. Thanks to him I might get it finished!

• Like 3

• 1 month later...