The North Sea GT Sports Model - Phantom FG. Mk 1

Thank You Dan, giemme and Jay :)

The intakes were quite a challenge indeed. I'm also building a Revell 1/32 scale F-4F using exactly same technique. I like working with Milliput because you can use water to make very smooth surfaces and you can work as long as you like. Just keep the surface wet.

BR,

Antti

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

What a beautiful Phantom!

I always liked that "nose high" stance - correct me if I am wrong, but it seems to be something unique to RN Phantoms.
Presumably it is some sort of aid to getting lift during a catapult takeoff, although I may be way off the mark.  😬

You have clearly lavished a lot of skill and dedication on your model and it certainly shows.

Congratulations on a very excellent result!  👍👍👍👍

• Thanks 1

Hi Antti,

gorgeous Phantom,

superbly built and even more impressive knowing you brush painted it. Knowing how tricky Humbrol 34 is to paint, super well done!

Congrats on a top model.

JR

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, kapam said:

What a beautiful Phantom!

I always liked that "nose high" stance - correct me if I am wrong, but it seems to be something unique to RN Phantoms.
Presumably it is some sort of aid to getting lift during a catapult takeoff, although I may be way off the mark.  😬

You have clearly lavished a lot of skill and dedication on your model and it certainly shows.

Congratulations on a very excellent result!  👍👍👍👍

Thank You kapam🙂

You are right: the nose gear was extended for carrier take offs to create more lift at lower air speeds. British Phantoms had to operate out of smaller flight decks than their USN cousins. Therefore the FG.1 had a "double" extension feature raising the nose higher than in standard F-4Bs and F-4Js.

Cheers,

Antti