The North Sea GT Sports Model - Phantom FG. Mk 1

Thank You phildagreek, bigbadbadge and russ c :)

I have been painting with Humbrol enamels and brushes exclusively. Most of the "new Humbrol" paints are very difficult to apply by brush: they are very thick and somewhat difficult to thin properly. It may also take ages for them to dry. And the surface is still sticky. Some shades are terrible like Hu 11, 56 and 191; two greys and one tin of clear cote with some silver powder in it... Once I have used the "Good Indian Humbrols" I don't know what to do :(

I have already bought an airbrush and some Tamiya acrylics but...

All ideas are very welcome.

BR,

Antti

OK, she's lovely, in fact very lovely. But there is something negative that I'd like to say:

She's not mine!!

How I wish she was!

A truly phabulous job.

• Like 2

Thank You Baron, David and Michael :)

I used Humbrol enamels. My model shows XT861 as She was back in 1971 still carrying the original American paintwork. I chose Hu 27 for the "US Dark Sea Grey" rather than British Extra Dark Sea Grey (Hu 123) which seems more blueish to my eye. An interesting detail is that there is a stencil in the rear fuselage specifying the external finish. It says "Dark Sea Grey". I have a photo where brand new FG. 1s and a sole FGR. 2 stand side by side; the original American grey colour is the same in both airframes.

For the under surfaces I used Hu 34 (Matt White) as it gives together with Hu 35 and Hu 135 (clear and satin coats) the desired slightly off-white end result. The American Insignia White can be described as "Ivory" or "Cream" rather than a pure white. Note that the British paint gave a "pure" white surface.

BR,

Antti

• Like 1

Here is a caption from one the photos I used when I was planning the paint scheme.

Nose_zps081shfef.jpg

Note the difference between the colour of the bottom surfaces and the roundel and individual code (002). The bottom colour (Insignia White) is clearly more warmer in hue than Roundel White.

An other interesting detail is the freshly re-painted auxiliary tank. Was it painted with British EDSG or with American paint? One source suggested that only "British" paints were carried aboard HMS Ark Royal. I chose Hu 123 (EDSG) for my tank. Note also that the radome is coffee brown not black and the rear part has some grey patches where the canvas cover was placed.

BR,

Antti

• Like 4