The North Sea GT Sports Model - Phantom FG. Mk 1

This project started last winter as FGR.2 XV436 of No. 6 Squadron. Then I read Aircraft Artificer Lionel A. Smith's "Phantom at sea" from the book "Phantom from the cockpit". It was "hook-up" for the FG.1 and "bolter" for the FGR.2. Lionel Smith was sent ashore to NAS Roosevelt Roads (Puerto Rico) on June 1971 when XT861 was diverted to the island to make some repairs on the "Cab". His style impressed me at once and I started to build my first ever RN aircraft.

I built the model using Aires seats, jet pipes, wheels and air scoops. A lot of scratch building was required because I made the keel box and engine air intakes myself. A lot of re-scribing and rivetting was also required.

Finally I painted the model with a brush using Humbrol enamels 27 and 34 and when the decals were on (343 of them to be precise) two final coats of Hu 135 was applied with a "Leonard's" brush. Weathering was made with "Caran D'ache" oil baesd crayons. As this was FGR.2 boxing the decals came from Alley Cat, Extra Decal, Hasegawa, Icarus, Impact Models and Model Alliance. It's a shame that no one provides good quality stencils for the British Phantom.

Let's see some photos. I hope you like them :)

Kuva_31_zpsdu57mjyn.jpg

Kuva_32_zpscbubwopy.jpg

Kuva_37_zpsg9wiunco.jpg

Kuva_34_zpsueiukzou.jpg

Kuva_33_zpstdkslwy4.jpg

Kuva_35_zpsl4rwwiec.jpg

Kuva_38_zpsk1jfu68p.jpg

Kuva_36_zps8ee4lc4w.jpg

I add a couple of WIP photos also if they are allowed to show you some details I mentioned about...

Kuva_2_zpspvm4a3do.jpg

Kuva_16_zpswxe4jhel.jpg

Kuva_4_zpscttsmm9r.jpg

Kuva_17_zpsymp4qtol.jpg

Here is the home made Keel Box and engines.

Kuva_23_zpsjpgxwp7n.jpg

Intakes made from styrene sheet, Milliput, a pair of surplus tanks and Compressor wheels.

Kuva_5_zps9wxdt6yj.jpg

The air brakes were closed in parked aircraft but this was too good a detail to miss... Note also the scratch built Auxiliary Air Door.

Best Regards,

Antti

• Like 59

Thank You Gentlemen :)

I just might build the "Flying Can Opener" as I was very "serious" about it last time...

And this time using resin intakes to save time and trouble.

I also think that best results are achieved using Aires jet pipes but Hasegawa part for the rear end. It looks more like the real thing.

BR,

Antti

What a cracker, you've done a super job.

XT861 ended it's days as "Charlie" on 43 Sqn and was permanently parked off the Fife coast in 1987, shortly before I got to Leuchars. (By a 111 Sqn crew who ejected safely I hasten to add!)

• Like 2

Antii, it's a beauty. The intakes and cockpit are most impressive.

I have to say that you have got the speed brakes in the correct position for on the ground, they would be open and the actuator locked off. They would bleed open under gravity once the hydraulics bled off if driven closed and would snap shut again when hydraulic power was applied which is obviously not a very safe state so driven open and locked off on the ground.

Duncan B

• Like 4

Absolutely beautiful! The tailpipes in particular look incredible!

• Like 1