Hobbyboss T-18 Light Tank

Thanks guys

Presumably you could layer this effect with different colours to give the impression of earlier layers of paint. :coolio:

You probably could. I'm still experimenting with the method. It kind of relies on the paint not sticking to the wood that well, so I don't know if you'd get the same effect with a second layer of paint over an existing one, but I'm sure it would work to some extent. I guess you could even combine it with hairspray chipping.

Great stuff, the figure and chipping look excellent. I love his floppy hair.

I was going to grumble that the scribed gate would look better from individual boards (I think you can see the grain run across the scribe lines) but with the paint I think it'll look immaculate. The rotten board ends are amazing.

On the earlier question of markings, you may not need them as the base and figure are going to provide a lot of extra colour and contrast to the green anyway.

Cheers,

Will

Thanks Will. I was intending to paint the gate conventionally at first, so I didn't bother going with individual planks. The chipping thing was a bit of a last minute decision. I think when Chuck Doan does this, he paints and chips each board individually before assembly which is probably a better way of doing it. I'd glued the gate together with Gator glue, and the white spirit used for the chipping dissolved some of the glue, meaning some re-assembly using superglue. It wasn't a massive problem, but it would have been easier to chip individual boards, them assemble the gate.

I reckon Will's right and it would probably be more authentic that way too.....For all I'd like to, I've yet to find one with any patriotic slogans or markings. :confused:

That would be the authentic way to go, but I think I'll still add the extra figure painting a turret number. I'm slightly verging into what-if territory, but I think it will add a bit of story to the scene.

Andy

The Soviet tank force was just starting to get organised at this point so it would 'tell a story'.....But I just can't find any pictures to support the idea (ironically enough), but I did find a wider angle version of the parade picture:

%D0%A2-18_6.png

It might just be reflected light, but it's just possible that the lead vehicle has had its road-wheel rims painted white for the parade (the Soviets always seemed to like doing that).....What do you think? :hmmm:

Some video (ignore the repro at the start, the real video starts about 25 seconds in):

There is a tantalisingly pale area on the right side of the turret (as seen) of the first (and last) tank.....Could it be the (now legendary) T-18 marking? :shrug:

• Like 1

Thanks for all the reference Andy, very helpful

The Soviet tank force was just starting to get organised at this point so it would 'tell a story'.....But I just can't find any pictures to support the idea (ironically enough), but I did find a wider angle version of the parade picture:

%D0%A2-18_6.png

It might just be reflected light, but it's just possible that the lead vehicle has had its road-wheel rims painted white for the parade (the Soviets always seemed to like doing that).....What do you think? :hmmm:

They could be in white parade trim, or it could be light reflection. As far as I understand it (which isn't very far) the T-16 had steel wheels but the T-18 was fitted with rubber rims (something this kit doesn't represent, so another Hobbyboss cockup). I still suspect that the first tank in that column could be a T-16 due to the lack of the extra return roller between the front pair, and if it is a T-16, it could just be light shining on the larger steel rims.

Markings.....I found some! :yahoo:

T18004.jpg

I'm guessing they are red? :hmmm:

That's a great shot. I'd guess red too, and I like the flag on the front of the fender.

There are a few colour profiles with markings over on Tanks Encyclopedia, and it implies some of them are based on photos

Soviet_T18_mandchurian_brigade.png

T-16 Model 1930

Soviet_T18.png

T-18 Model 1930

Soviet_T18_Ossoaviakhim.png

T-18 of the Ossoaviakhim from a training company near Kiev, 1936

Soviet_T18M.png

T-18M 1941 (fitted with the gun from a T-26: wonder if Hobbyboss will release this version)

I think I might go with a red star. The Officer looks like the type who'd like a big shiny star on his tank :wicked:

Andy

• Like 2

Thanks Foxy,

Yes, it's good that we're seeing more obscure subjects being released. It's harder to find reference for them, but then fewer people can tell you you're wrong :D

Andy

Yes but we know these people are out there :fight:lol

Cheers

Keith

• Like 1

TBH I tend to trust colour profiles about as far as I could spit a rat. :shutup:

The first and second (sorry) both appear to be based on bad repros:

0_50ae0_cb05f847_XL.jpg

31_big.jpg

If they weren't.....I'd love to see the source images, 'cos they surely don't seem to be very widely circulated.....Although admittedly I didn't do my searches in Russian. :wicked:

Profiles are almost always just an artistic impression of a B&W photo in the first place and IMHO most modellers are artist enough to form their own impressions. :coolio:

• Like 3

TBH I tend to trust colour profiles about as far as I could spit a rat. :shutup:

Yes, fully agree Andy. I wasn't claiming any veracity for them, just posting them for the sake of reference.

I've been getting some paint on the base. The whole thing was given a primer coat after the wall section was added. I then picked out the cobbles and exposed stone in a warm grey, and painted a few different shades here and there to liven it up a bit. The rough ground areas were painted in a mid brown

29185715482_6443e23934_b.jpg

After that, the rendering was given a coat of pale grey, and the cobbles were brushed over with UMP light dirt wash, which was rubbed off the surface after drying, leaving it in the gaps. The ground areas were given a watery coat of matt acrylic resin mixed with earth coloured pigment

29005734980_28084fc8fb_b.jpg

While I was doing this, I was also working on the gate. I chipped that in the same way as the individual plank I did earlier. When the chipping was done it had some washes and staining added (ignore the rings around the hinge bolts, it's just the wash still drying)

28671019144_251430b1f4_b.jpg

Spot the error on the back. Yes, I forgot to add the top brace, and didn't notice until I'd already started painting it. I'm not that bothered, as you'll only see this from the back of the base.

If I had noticed before painting though, I'd have masked off the strip where it would have been, painted the rest, then removed the masking to look as if the brace had fallen off sometime after the gate was painted. Oh well, never mind. As I said, you can't really see this side of the door anyway

29005707960_4e94624e69_b.jpg

And this is what it will look like in place. It's not attached here, just propped in the doorway. It's actually marginally too wide to fit closed, but I'm going to have it open anyway, so not a problem

29293834075_012fa6f21b_b.jpg

Next thing was to start adding some grass tufts to the soil areas. These look a bit stark at the moment, but they'll get softened and blended in with the surrounding area with some static grass. That will be a few days away though, as I've had to send for some. The stuff I've got in stock isn't quite the right shade, and is a little too short. Any areas not covered with the tufts and static grass will have some sifted soil and pigments added

29005693810_fa05c81297_b.jpg

I've also added some damper, mossy areas between some of the cobbles. I'll add more of this when the rest of the grass is down

29185662002_6afa8bd4dd_b.jpg

Andy

• Like 8

Thanks Francis

I've added a bit more weathering to the wall, and also some plant roots to represent an ivy or creeper. I'll be adding more leaves to it, but I may well call it a dead ivy, just to avoid having to paint all the leaves green later

29220005321_0ed2e21aeb_b.jpg

Andy

• Like 9

Superb stuff Andy....,Is there actually anything you aren't brilliant at? :shrug:

Sorry if my comments about the profiles seemed a bit brusqe, but since this thread started I've become really quite familiar with most of the readily available pictures of the T-18.....ADD can do that sometimes! :whistle:

• Like 1

Thanks guys

Sorry if my comments about the profiles seemed a bit brusqe, but since this thread started I've become really quite familiar with most of the readily available pictures of the T-18.....ADD can do that sometimes! :whistle:

Not at all Andy. That's the best thing about build threads for me. Everyone can chip in with different ideas and references, and it only increases the amount of information available. Almost all the builds I've done on Britmodeller have changed and evolved as they've progressed due to the input and ideas of other members, and for me they've ended up as better models for it.

It always amazes me just how much info is out there when you really start digging, even on relatively obscure subjects. With all the ref you've compiled you should do one too. Is there one available in 72nd?

I've just realised that I owe you on apology. I've been having a sort through of the stash this afternoon, and found the BA-64 that I'd said I'd build for the GPW group build. I'd completely forgotten about it due to other projects getting in the way. As some recompense I've moved it up the queue, and I'll hopefully get it done before the end of the year.

Andy

A T-18 in 1/72.....Don't think so mate, we've only just got a T-60. :confused:

No worries about the BA build.....You've clearly been a busy man, and this model more than makes up for it. :coolio:

PS - Actually I was mistaken, there are not one, but two 1/72 T-18s:

AR-M72211-T-18-MS-1-boxart.jpg

+%20AR%20M72212a%20-%20T-18(MC-1)%20%D0%

Sometimes these little chats can get very expensive can't they! :doh:

• Like 2

Sometimes these little chats can get very expensive can't they! :doh:

They do seem to do that, don't they.

They both look rather nice though. You've got to wonder why a limited release kit in 1/72 can have better detailed suspension than what Hobbyboss have managed in 1/35

Andy

They are only £2 cheaper than the HB kit according to Hannants.....TBH they're pretty reasonable for a high end multimedia kit. :hmmm:

I seem to be talking myself into it! :doh:

I'm quite tempted myself. The SU-18 SPG is quite appealing, although I think Hobbyboss are going to release that one in 1/35 too.

I've been holding fire for the last few days, waiting for the various bits and pieces I'd ordered to turn up. They're all here now so I've got some more work done on the base.

I've got various boxes of dried flowers that I'd picked last year to use on dioramas like this

29309921721_c3e329397b_b.jpg

The yellow flowers are Alchemilla, and they don't loose their colour when dried so work well for dandelions and similar flowers

29101336030_f107c0a099_b.jpg

The other ones are the stamens from an Astrantia flower, which are okay for anything upright like a tulip

28767834983_fff7e9e975_b.jpg

The ivy leaves that I'd already added to the wall are made from seed scales from Birch catkins

29280929452_7f3bd356a3_b.jpg

In the end I decided to paint those green, which was a pain but they look better than leaving them brown

28765168424_b5c87baaae_b.jpg

One of the things I'd ordered was a couple of packs of static grass, one 2mm and one 4mm, which has saved me from having to cover the whole base with grass tufts. This has covered most of the non-cobbled areas of the base, and the edges have been blended onto the cobbles with some earth coloured pigment and dried garden soil fixed with pigment fixer. The flowers were then randomly stuck into the grass with a drop of PVA

28765184284_627f0a9f87_b.jpg

29309905371_cbce48098b_b.jpg

So this is how it's looking now. I've still got the area at the back of the wall to detail, and I'll probably add some more stains and damp areas to the cobbles

29389151285_f9be449f74_b.jpg

Andy

• Like 6

That's lovely, it seems almost a shame to put a hulking great war machine in there. I guess it's a cute baby tank which helps :)

How fragile are the dried flowers? I've tended to make plants from wire etc. in the past but they don't have the same level of close-up finesse, so this approach is really interesting.

Cheers,

Will

• Like 2