Moebius has a couple of new licenses.

Moebius has announced at San Diego Comic Con that they have got a license to make kits from the new Star Trek movies, no idea what they're planning to do but about the only thing I like from the films are the Shuttles. Probably old news to most on here, they have also got a license for kits from 2001 A Space Odyssey, they haven't revealed all they are doing but did say the Space Clipper will be reissued but with more accurate wings and the Moonbus will be reissued.

Paul Harrison

• Like 2

A lot depends on the subject and how far they want to take it. The NuBSG Raptor has a complete interior which make it like creating two kits. I could see the Discovery going a much cheaper route with folded printed cardboard like Moebius used on the 1:128 kits and leaving the more complete interiors to aftermarket. Starships should be much easier to master, hopefully they will have some wallpaper decals instead of a paint guide for all that aztecing...

Moebius does not have the license to produce anything from 2010 so the Leonov won't be happening anytime soon.

Discovery, Aries 1b, Space Pod and Space Station 5 I really want.

I have the giant Space Pod from Atomic City and I can just imagine what the Moebius edition could be like. Because the Atomic City kit was so wonderful I have their 16" Aries kit on order, just waiting for mine to be cast and shipped.

I saw 2001 on first release in Cinerama many many years ago and it is still one of my favorite movies to this day.

You could tool the Discovery by designing one sprue to cover all the spine pod types and just re-using that to mould all of them. Then it's just a command and engine module set of dies....you could fit quite a large kit in a relatively small box

Info I have gleaned from another forum is that the licence is only for the new JJ reboot ships and vehicles. At the recent Comic Con in the US Moebius announced that USS Kelvin, Franklin and Enterprise as well as the Jellyfish? were in their plans. The Enterprise would most likely be the one from ST-Beyond.

A 1:350 JJPrise would be good..

Warren, sunning himself in Portugal!!

• Like 3

Quite interesting to hear about the new trek models. I didn't rate Revell's enterprise as it has a very poor fit.

Besides if moebius's iron man models are any example they will be awesome new kits as the Mark 3 Iron Man I built is the best Iron Man kit I have ever built (done 2 Dragon and 1 Moebius.

Will have to look out for more details as this happens.

A couple of production observations.

It would seem obvious that the first Moebius Star Trek release would be a repackaging of the Revell "Into Darkness" Enterprise. This makes sense since Revell repackages Moebius' Galactica kits. The repackaging would make the Revell kit more available and less expensive(?) to the American market. Keep in mind that the JJ Prise has only been available as an import in the US and, for the most, part only available through online stores. The fact that Moebius has announced three other Trek subjects - The Franklin, the Jellyfish and the Enterprise (from "Beyond?") - might suggest a partnership between the two licensees - Moebius and Revell.

The Battlestar Galactica Raptor. Why has it taken so long? All I can say is that it's not just Moebius dragging their feet. There are other factors (such as the licensor) involved. Most online model shops still show this as coming soon. Amazon is saying it'll be available mid September. I've seen the build-up (at Wonderfest) and it's a pretty nice kit.

• 2 weeks later...

Moebius said on Facebook they have no idea what kits they'll be doing from Trek, any they do pick will have go to the license owners for approval before they can do anything. Next kit release is The Penguin (Burgess Meredith) from the 60's Batman series shipping on Saturday.

Paul Harrison