Phantom FG.1 1/48 Hasegawa

Yes and no... On the original RAF Phantoms, the underwing serials were at the same location as on the RN. Later on the RAF moved the serial more inboard, so it was fully on the inner wing. The replacement wing on XT597 dates from that later period:

There is a picture in Patrick Martin's book (Volume 1, page 120) showing XT597 with the replacement wing and there is no trace of the serial on the outer panel.

G

Thank you, was not aware of that variation! An easy fix thankfully.

Rest of the month ! Keep you going until Christmas !!!

Guy

• Like 1

Excellent job indeed.Ive got a 43 squadron grey fg1 to finish.Been sitting on shelf for over 10 years.Managed to lose the undercarriage and cockpit transparencies.Luckily my mate helped with the canopy.Wow H.K to do a 32nd one!!!.Time to save me pennies!!!.

Watching with interest.

Richard

• Like 1

Excellent job indeed.Ive got a 43 squadron grey fg1 to finish.Been sitting on shelf for over 10 years.Managed to lose the undercarriage and cockpit transparencies.Luckily my mate helped with the canopy.Wow H.K to do a 32nd one!!!.Time to save me pennies!!!.

Watching with interest.

Richard

under cart is readily available in white metal for the F-4 thankfully.

Thanks for the kind comments all of you, I have an enforced break now as I'm back at sea for 3 weeks, however to keep me company I have some superglue, a pair of kit seats and some eduard etch belts for a forth coming FGR.2. (this one will involve bombs and rockets!)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Decals on, and a Flory dark dirt wash.

Gettng rather close to finish. Have never used the Flory washes before and am very impressed!

image_153.jpeg

• Like 5

And the underside.

I figured that by 1982, when the aircraft was in this configuration, the original 1960's finish would be looking a little tired, so I went a little heavy on the weathering, and chipped some of the serial around the wing fold.

image_154.jpeg

Annoyingly the wash has highligted the seams. So I'll clean these out with a cotton bud and some water to reduce their impact.

Edited by At Sea
  • Like 9

Hello,At Sea -.My phull compliments to you on a phine looking 'Phantom' build.Great work with the paint finishing and that mass of decals.Superb work indeed. ;) All the best,Paul.

• Like 1

As Paul said great work and all those stencils :sleep_1: but well worth the effort .

"Phantastic"

Guy

• Like 1

Nice work with the shading and wash. Im coming around to that wash stuff, finding that a mix of brown, grey/black acrylic paints can be useful (and removeable!)

Found this for a bit more inspiration for you:

F4KLoS-XV587-2.jpg

Grubby bugger. :)

• Like 6

Looking at the nose of XV587 it is 1977 and she is in her Jubilee markings, 1978 they went to a 892 crest.

Would have thought they would have kept 'em cleaner than that for 'er Maj!

Another thing I've only just noticed looking at that pic is the lights under the intakes, anyone here know what their purpose was?

First time Ive seen them too, if they are actually lights that is. Used for bouncing bombs perhaps....?

• Like 1

They exist on all Spey Phantoms, but I am unsure of the use as well as they do not 'pop out' so they can't be landing lights...

Maybe they are to help the badgers find the hooks. :-)

• Like 1

Courtesy lights? Canopy isnt quite shut properly.

Heres another but with the brace in place and not a Navy lump, so should really be in your reference thread, but hey, I like to be awkward :)

34.jpg.jpg

Same leaky, mucky panels.

Ah, I see theyve not shut the canopy properly either. Tut.

Edited by RMP2
  • Like 4

They exist on all Spey Phantoms, but I am unsure of the use as well as they do not 'pop out' so they can't be landing lights...

Maybe they are to help the badgers find the hooks. :-)

Hmm, I did wonder, but the last shot is a non carrier FGR.2

Anyway I don't wan't to detract from what is a superb and really well thought out build here.