Phantom FG.1 1/48 Hasegawa

Hello At Sea!

Can't wait to see this finished; looking good so far! Beautiful work with the seats. It also seems that I might want to build another one... ;)

BR,

Antti

Thank you, they are such a lovely kit to build and I have always found the aircraft to be one of the most impressive to look at.

Thank you, they are such a lovely kit to build and I have always found the aircraft to be one of the most impressive to look at.

Especially in Grey/Green camo.

I couldnt agree more. ;)

Thanks for the kick to the posterior. :)

• Like 1

Another tempting 1/48 build, I must resist (for now). I have 2 Hasegawa 1/48 Tooms in the stash, an 'Ark Royal' and a '56 Sqn', what I really want are the markings for a certain Tremblers aircraft (i'm giving away any clues to which one am I?). If the next reissue, due soon, has them I'll be all over it.

Duncan B

Getting there!

image_144.jpeg

image_143.jpeg

For some reason in 1982 she inherited some FGR.2 outer wings. So these have been painted as such.

Edited by At Sea
  • Like 6

Tis all a bit funky lookin innit.

Quite.

More interesting to my eye than the rasberry ripple scheme. Has a sort of 'works van' quality about it.

Wow excellent... I have exactly the same airframe on my 'to do' list!

With regards to the replacement outer panels: difficult to see from the picture, but shouldn't there me more contrast between the greys on the topside? The RAF used DSG and the RN EDSG...

Looking forward to the next update!!

Guillaume

• Like 1

Wow excellent... I have exactly the same airframe on my 'to do' list!

With regards to the replacement outer panels: difficult to see from the picture, but shouldn't there me more contrast between the greys on the topside? The RAF used DSG and the RN EDSG...

Looking forward to the next update!!

Guillaume

Really annoyingly I went to the effort of painting the main fuselage in Humbrol 123 and the outer wings in Humbrol 164.

And there is almost no difference.

• Like 1

Hello At Sea,

looking better and better :) A very interesting paint scheme. As I can't remember seeing any photos of this aircraft I am waiting to see how it looks when you put the decals on.

The close up photo of the Doppler may have solved a problem I have. I built a Tp52 (a SIGINT Canberra used by the Swedish Air Force). It's camera hatch looks very much the same as Phantom's Doppler unit. I haven't found a single clue from the original Swedish manuals but this all makes sense. Here is a close up of my Canberra

Tp52_hatch_zpsqtrsp7xl.jpg

Almost identical.

BR,

Antti

• Like 2

That is a nice looking Phantom, you are doing a grand job and agree with the choice of colour scheme.

This is a subject I to would love to do espeically in RAF markings.

Keep up the good work.

Guy

• Like 1

Interesting. Does that nose cone come in the box? Or is it sourced from somewhere else?

The nose cone comes with the Hasegawa Britsh Phantom 25th anniversary boxing, kit number 09462 or CH-8 if I remember.

I got it in a box of Phantom spares I bought on ebay.

Kit decals are from the excellent Ram Models early British Phantoms set.

Stencils will be from the Kits World F4-B set and though strictly incorrect are close enough as witnessed on my FG.1 XT596 build.

Edited by At Sea
  • Like 1

Looking good!

I'm interested to see those stencils on as I used Icaros F-4E stencils in mine. I had to do a lot of cutting and re-positioning to get the wings somewhat accurate (for example F-4E don't have panels 111L or 111R).

I guess I can't sleep tonight. Hong Kong Models is going to release their 1/32 scale FG.1 sometime next year :yahoo:

BR,

Antti

• Like 2

This is looking awesome...!!!

Remember to trim back the 'X' of the underwing serial as they would not appear on the replacement outer wings!

Mine is moving towards the top of the pile ;)

G

The X surely would have been on the replacment wings as part of the serial of that aircraft?

Looking good!

I'm interested to see those stencils on as I used Icaros F-4E stencils in mine. I had to do a lot of cutting and re-positioning to get the wings somewhat accurate (for example F-4E don't have panels 111L or 111R).

BR,

Antti

I don't think I'll be stencilling to that level of accuracy.

On my FG.1 XT596 I only used the F-4B sheet to replicate the decals offered by the Hasegawa sheet.

The X surely would have been on the replacment wings as part of the serial of that aircraft?

Yes and no... On the original RAF Phantoms, the underwing serials were at the same location as on the RN. Later on the RAF moved the serial more inboard, so it was fully on the inner wing. The replacement wing on XT597 dates from that later period:

There is a picture in Patrick Martin's book (Volume 1, page 120) showing XT597 with the replacement wing and there is no trace of the serial on the outer panel.

G

• Like 2