Phantom FG.1 1/48 Hasegawa

Hmm, I did wonder, but the last shot is a non carrier FGR.2.

Last time I checked the FGR.2 has Spey's as well! ;-)

Anyway I don't wan't to detract from what is a superb and really well thought out build here.

Thank you. :-D

Are you thinking of going for a bit more grubbiness? The two pics I posted are in my reference stash for future Phantoms, need to figure out this dirty weathering stuff.

• Like 1

No more grub for this one, satin cote is on now.

My own picture stash on my ipad would make a copyrighters head spin.

But coupled with my books I can't find a colour picture of the tanks on XT597 pre rasberry ripple.

They were white, then went red with the rasberry ripple finish.

I am thinking of high viz tips, similar to RAF 'bad guy' tanks for ACM training.

I am also thinking of chucking a strike camera in the port forward sparrow mount as it may have been carried and adds some interest?

• Like 2

I am thinking of high viz tips, similar to RAF 'bad guy' tanks for ACM training.

I am also thinking of chucking a strike camera in the port forward sparrow mount as it may have been carried and adds some interest?

Sounds good. Its a bit oddball as it is, I would keep that going especially alongside the "vanilla" models you have.

• Like 1

Looking great. Quick question if I may; I take it that the Kits World stencils are good for both US and British aircraft? The reason I ask is that the decals on my Revell reissue are kind of knackered and I don't want to spend hours applying them if they'll just silver and look rubbish. If the Kits World set will do the job and be more or less right then I'll go for them.

Nice work with the shading and wash. Im coming around to that wash stuff, finding that a mix of brown, grey/black acrylic paints can be useful (and removeable!)

Found this for a bit more inspiration for you:

F4KLoS-XV587-2.jpg

Grubby bugger. :)

That's a brilliant photo, really crisp. Do you know if it was taken on slide film?

I wish I'd been around when we still had proper naval aircraft and carriers. I mean, the Shar was great and all but for projection of power you couldn't whack the Phantom and Bucc.

• Like 1

Looking great. Quick question if I may; I take it that the Kits World stencils are good for both US and British aircraft? The reason I ask is that the decals on my Revell reissue are kind of knackered and I don't want to spend hours applying them if they'll just silver and look rubbish. If the Kits World set will do the job and be more or less right then I'll go for them.

I use the kits world stencils for early RN Phantoms because they are very close but not right.

On an EDSG background and with a bit of grubbing they look on the mark to my mind.

I also have a set of Eduard F-4C stencils to try on an up-coming Phantom FGR.2 build.

What I do-do is combine them with the excellent Torndao stencil sheet X748138 which gives you British Ejector seat and no-step markings. It also gives the bi-lingual stencils for the RAFG Aircraft.

Now none of the above is 'right'. It is however to my eyes close enough. You will however notice I am missing the yellow dashed lines around the cockpit framing and on an earlier build the walkway marking on the upper wing was black not yellow.

• Like 1

I use the kits world stencils for early RN Phantoms because they are very close but not right.

On an EDSG background and with a bit of grubbing they look on the mark to my mind.

I also have a set of Eduard F-4C stencils to try on an up-coming Phantom FGR.2 build.

What I do-do is combine them with the excellent Torndao stencil sheet X748138 which gives you British Ejector seat and no-step markings. It also gives the bi-lingual stencils for the RAFG Aircraft.

Now none of the above is 'right'. It is however to my eyes close enough. You will however notice I am missing the yellow dashed lines around the cockpit framing and on an earlier build the walkway marking on the upper wing was black not yellow.

Fair enough, thanks for that.