Avro Lincoln, RF389 RAF 75 (NZ) Sq, code/serial colours?

Marcus.Q1000859

Hi Guys,

I have recently received the neat Blackbird models conversion for the Airfix Lancaster B.ll.

I wish to model it as RF389 AA.A as flown for a few weeks by the Kiwis of 75 Sq during to work up in UK for Tiger Force. Based out of RAF Spisby.

There are a few photos freely available on the web that show this aircraft resplendent in white with black undersides and attendant exhaust stains.

What I would like to know is what was the colour of the aircraft codes and serials?

As a point of discussion the photos B/W photos show the codes in a similar hue to the roundel centres but that could still make them red or grey.

Thanks for any help you may be able to proffer.

Marcus

MJF Bowyer's Bombing colours book gives the codes and serials for those delivered at the same time to 57 Squadron as black - but the photo of AA.A I found clearly does not have black codes. My inclination would be red as that was the standard color for bombers in DE/DG at the time and may have been assumed to be the colour to be used by the squadron. On the other hand grey was in use on the white aircraft of Coastal Command so there is a chance that idea could have been copied.

Unless anyone has more definite information my choice would be red but with a guess at odds of about 70:30 of being correct!

Edit- having found a clearer photo I'm upping the odds on red to 90:10, also I think the Airfix Lancaster (FE) has red as another clue.

Edited by rossm