1/72, Heller, Alouette III, Rhodesian Air Force K Car (1978)

These photos are the result of a GB diorama that I built earlier this year. This depicts a routine field service of a Rhodesian Air Force Alouette III K Car undergoing a periodic tail rotor shaft and gear box lube + refuelling. During this period of the Rhodesian conflict, these aircraft carried very little in the way of insignia and very limited service stencils. A key element of the 'Fire Force' concept, the K Car was equipped with a side firing 20mm Hispano canon and carried a crew of 3, the pilot, technician (gunner) and the army commander who would direct the operation. The K Car was identified with the letter K formed from masking tape/duct tape hastily stuck to the side of the aircraft. These helicopters were highly modified for operation in the bush environment with the most obvious mods being the 'elephant ears' dust filters and anti strella exhaust shroud.

Please enjoy the photos ....

DSCN4101%201_zpslcbpnj2z.jpg

DSCN4111_zpsx2z8wflx.jpg

DSCN4113_zpsxbnlvdbk.jpg

DSCN4131_zpscctie27z.jpg

DSCN4119_zps0ize3sis.jpg

DSCN4170_zpsx9kvyprt.jpg

DSCN4176_zpsmpnqtn6h.jpg

DSCN4075_zpsp1eidmff.jpg

DSCN4082_zpssfeou3uq.jpg

DSCN4136_zpsgazx3qmk.jpg

DSCN4147_zpsy0patzyb.jpg

DSCN4148_zpsakioaetx.jpg

DSCN4151_zpsisic3ccz.jpg

DSCN4149_zpsac8mhpn2.jpg

DSCN4166_zpsowpem7rq.jpg

Thanks for dropping by.

:thumbsup:

Edited by Mach82
  • Like 39

Excellent work, not sure why but the Alouette is one of my favourite helicopters.

• Like 1

Thanks for the invitation Mark. I certainly did !

:thumbsup2: :thumbsup2:

You've floored me with another great build and I hadn't even recovered from your Hawker Hunter

My corner may very well throw the towel in.

mike

Thanks Mike .... But don't throw in any towels just yet .... I can't get an airliner to look half as good as any of your fantastic builds ... I am going to give the B720 a go later this year and might have to tap in to some tips from your airliner magic touch.

great work with that midget! it´s already small in 1/50...

Cheers Reini :thumbsup: It sure is lol

Excellent work, not sure why but the Alouette is one of my favourite helicopters.

Thanks Andrew :thumbsup: . Mine too .... don't know what it is though

Yes !!!

Fantastic work you did there.

Congratulations. Polo.

Cheers Polo. It was fiddley and a lot harder than I first thought however I did have fun building it.

Knowing how small the kit is makes your rendition all the more remarkable. As for the addition of that cannon. I hate to think of the noise it made, not to mention the smoke in that cramped cabin. The interior noise of the helicopter itself was loud enough.

I know personally because I had the pleasure of flying in one of the Irish Air Corps Alouettes, no 211, as part of a four man 'stick' when I was a member of the army reserve flying out of a barracks just south of the border with Northern Ireland. It was a tight fit and the noise was insane. There were two rules, no berets so they wouldn't be sucked into the engine and your thumb had to held over the muzzle of our FN FALs in case we poked the pilot in the head. Brings back memories.

Isn't it time for a good 1/48th scale version? Sadly with Heller gone that may never happen.

Edited by noelh
  • Like 1