DC3-Brace For Impact

After a long break from modelling i decided i wanted to restart ( needed to fill my display shelves more than anything :winkgrin: ) and decided a group build could be good. i wanted to do something easy, and this seemed perfect as i could re use old models from the box of doom! i wanted to do something with a plane, but when i saw the max base size i thought i would have to do a tank... then it hit me. i have a really broken Airfix C47 in my cupboard, and what does the C47/DC3 make you think of? Dodgy jungle airlines :) ! and what do dodgy jungle airlines make you think of? crashes! and if i did crash diorama, i could cut the plane up and fit it on the base :) ! Perfect!

So here is the victim. a broken C47 from a few year back when i was first starting modelling.

Nteo6mJ.jpg

iH19ovV.jpg

Will

Edited by Jimbobtheflimbob
  • Like 5

Hi Will and welcome to the Vignette GB. What a great idea for a vignette and a really suitable use for a discarded aircraft build. I'm looking forward to seeing this in progress. :thumbsup::popcorn:

Kind regards,

Stix

Excellent idea!! Has to have a smashed windscreen and a skeleton in the pilots seat in best Hollywood style!!

Penguins as pilots with "I like to move it move it" blaring out the speakers!

Cracking idea. Looking forward to your build dude.

• Like 2

Penguins as pilots with "I like to move it move it" blaring out the speakers!

Cracking idea. Looking forward to your build dude.

hmmm... i imagine if i did that the rivet counters would lynch me!

I have made quite a bi of progress so far. i have mutilated the Dc3 and begun repainting it into a civilian scheme. I'm not gonna try and make it really neat as i am trying to capture the look of a worn out aircraft that shouldn't be flying any more. have made a mock up by cutting out a piece of paper to be 18x12cm, but have not been able to get a proper base as could not find one of the right size. i normally use cork display boards from WHSmiths, the kind of thing you pin photos to but without the wooden frame. i will probable make a base out of foam tallow me to contour it.

I know it all looks very crude at the moment but i hope it gives a rough idea of what i am going for.

the scheme I'm trying to recreate (because it doesn't need any markings :) )

o3JqRw7.jpg

some photos of the progress. the DC3 needs a lot of sanding and fresh filler looking at the close up photos :(

qrIgH02.jpg

No, i didn't eat the wing :)

qIIIU2w.jpg

being destructive :)

zNwj7qS.jpg

I am unsure whether to put the tail section in the diorama. it makes it a little cramped and is it unlikely that the tail would be that close to the fuselage. do you think i should keep it?

Will

Edited by Jimbobtheflimbob
  • Like 4

The forward section looks the genuine article. Do you have any propellers for it? Bent props would look good.

I'm also with the 'no tail' vote, I do like the 'skeleton pilots' idea! :D

Great stuff, outstanding vandalism!

Best regards

Tony

i have 1 prop which i have bent the blades on. i will remove the tail from the mock up. i among away so nomore progress for 2 weeks, but before i left i did some more repainting. i made a red stripe along the side with grey outlines. i sadly can't get to the pilots :(

I did scratch and shatter the windscreens and remove one widow to simulate the crew escaping out of it.

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...