what scifi stuff has the postman delivered to you today?

• 2 weeks later...

1/350 USS Grissom and a sequenced lighting set from Evans design (Highly Recommended) can not wait to start work. Will be building mine as Pegasus or Cochrone with full scratch built lighting rig but the hard works was going to be the sequenced flashing  lights which is now sorted.

Edited by WarthogMKL

From the bay, a very small resin (I think) Y wing and a pair of display bases. One used. The other still sealed.

They were described as Star Wars. Smooth black plastic, about 3 inches square. There's a square hole with a separate piece to fit in it.

The sprue has A M and Nuclear model and SWB 3 moulded into the top. These are meant to join together with a small clip.

I will use the used example, but if anyone can identify the origin and a value for the new one I'd be grateful.

• Like 1

On 06/08/2022 at 23:11, HadesOmega said:

This is one of the weirdest things ever....

...Interesting! Where is that ship from? Not from Space Battleship Yamato, right??

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Reelyator said:

...Interesting! Where is that ship from? Not from Space Battleship Yamato, right??

It may be based on SBY but doesn't follow any movie, anime or manga. Here's a little blurb from a random Google search:

"1/700 SCI FI SHIP Suyatta's Combination Fleet series in the sky has aroused great repercussions in the science fiction market after it was launched with its unique original design and story background. However, only Nagato and Mutsu were too lonely. I-400 and I-401 came to support.

"In order to make up for the disadvantage of the number of warships, SRK decided to build a batch of special warships with both reconnaissance and assault functions. This type of special warship is equipped with reconnaissance airships and long-range thrusters. In addition, confidential models of torpedoes and mines were also equipped on battleships for combat testing. These torpedoes have the appearance of a meteorite camouflage. These special warships are called "special-type air submarine ships", and the two known as I-400 and I-401 are currently in service.

"In order to deal with the enemy's increasingly powerful anti-potential capacity, the I-401 was replaced with a meteorite-shaped camouflage shield."

There is also a space submarine available, the "I-400."

zs3FCqo.jpg

5Myfaww.jpg

• Like 2

I just received AMTs Moonraker kit. Not sure of the scale. Not the greatest kit in the world but it's science fiction, real space AND James Bond so why don't AMT just get a permanent connection to my credit card.

Edited by ConorC
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/2/2022 at 11:43 AM, Kallisti said:

This just arrived today, am I excited or am I excited?????

20220902_113008.jpg?m=1662115349

My Ares 1B arrived today.

ares1b-parts.jpg

First look is impressive, though it's going to be fiddly in places.

Absolutely crying out for lighting. I've opened the instructions at the painting guide, and you should be able to see that the dome lights in the passenger area are all transparent panels. There's the potential to put some lights inside the engine bells (which have transparent parts), and the TV screens look like they'd be easily lit, too. I haven't looked at the flight deck, but there's got to be room to red-light that, too.

I'm not too interested in engine lights, so my first thought is to place a 12V jack in the centre of the underside, between the four engine nozzles, where there's a protruding cylindrical structure. Or perhaps mount the thing on a rod at that point, with wiring running to the base.

Aftermarket seems generally expensive for what you get, at present, but I'd like a few figures---there seem to be several sets already, featuring Floyd, pilots and flight attendants, and one that offers seated figures of Clarke and Kubrick!

On 9/2/2022 at 3:00 PM, Bejay53 said:

There have been several builds on YouTube lately, both lighted.

look for Ken Spriggs or Lou Dalmaso!

I don't generally seem to have the attention span for YouTube instructional videos - I prefer carefully edited text and annotated pictures, but that seems to be a dying art. But it sounds like Spriggs/Dalmaso would be worth seeking out, because I hear they've identified a critical error in the kit instructions, with a couple of cams in the landing gear marked up the wrong way around, which is not what you want to find out late in the build.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Hamiltonian said:

ares1b-parts.jpg

Absolutely crying out for lighting. I've opened the instructions at the painting guide, and you should be able to see that the dome lights in the passenger area are all transparent panels. There's the potential to put some lights inside the engine bells (which have transparent parts), and the TV screens look like they'd be easily lit, too. I haven't looked at the flight deck, but there's got to be room to red-light that, too.

Looking forward to your build of this kit.  I have found many of your previous build logs to be extremely helpful and full of excellent information. 

Regards,

Bill

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

For the youngsters among us: NO, this is not C3-PO´s sister! This Lady is a tiny bit older. 50 years to be precise, based on their first movie appearances.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Maria, the "Maschinenmensch" from Fritz Langs 1927 Movie "Metropolis". An ABSOLUTE Classic.

This is a 1/8 Scale Plastic Model Kit from Manufacturer X-Plus. Found it on HLJ. Another pre-painted version of this Kit is available as well but i prefer to do the painting myself.

• Like 8

11 hours ago, Reelyator said:

For the youngsters among us: NO, this is not C3-PO´s sister! This Lady is a tiny bit older. 50 years to be precise, based on their first movie appearances.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Maria, the "Maschinenmensch" from Fritz Langs 1927 Movie "Metropolis". An ABSOLUTE Classic.

This is a 1/8 Scale Plastic Model Kit from Manufacturer X-Plus. Found it on HLJ. Another pre-painted version of this Kit is available as well but i prefer to do the painting myself.

Massive fan of the movie and happy to say that looks cool. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/09/2022 at 23:51, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Massive fan of the movie and happy to say that looks cool. 

....fully agree!

I always love to see, when figures, space ships etc. from not not "fully up to date" movies make it to the catalogue of model kit manufacturers.

• Like 1

.....with greetings from Kermit.

Some other classic monster Kits came in during last week from Star Ace Toys Harryhausen Series: The Ymir from 20 Million Miles to Earth (1957).

spacer.png

• Like 2

Not the most accurate representation of a dinosaur according to todays scientific standards, but still a movie classic: The Allosaurus from One Million Years B.C. (1966).

spacer.png

I love the retro-style artwork box from the Harryhausen Series!

And something to look forward: The Kraken from 1981´s Clash of the Titans is secduled to be released by the end of the year.....

• Like 4

On 9/15/2022 at 1:34 PM, Hamiltonian said:

ares1b-parts.jpg

I'm not too interested in engine lights, so my first thought is to place a 12V jack in the centre of the underside, between the four engine nozzles, where there's a protruding cylindrical structure. Or perhaps mount the thing on a rod at that point, with wiring running to the base.

Aftermarket seems generally expensive for what you get, at present, but I'd like a few figures---there seem to be several sets already, featuring Floyd, pilots and flight attendants, and one that offers seated figures of Clarke and Kubrick!

I don't generally seem to have the attention span for YouTube instructional videos - I prefer carefully edited text and annotated pictures, but that seems to be a dying art. But it sounds like Spriggs/Dalmaso would be worth seeking out, because I hear they've identified a critical error in the kit instructions, with a couple of cams in the landing gear marked up the wrong way around, which is not what you want to find out late in the build.

Nice!!

How big is it in 1/48? How many inches in diameter?

On 09/10/2022 at 11:24, Reelyator said:

Not the most accurate representation of a dinosaur according to todays scientific standards, but still a movie classic: The Allosaurus from One Million Years B.C. (1966).

spacer.png

I love the retro-style artwork box from the Harryhausen Series!

And something to look forward: The Kraken from 1981´s Clash of the Titans is secduled to be released by the end of the year.....

Is there a matching Raquel Welch figure. Just asking for a friend.

• Haha 2