what scifi stuff has the postman delivered to you today?

Today i got i an old Bandai Kit of EVA Unit 00 from the classic Anime Series NEON GENESIS EVANGELION. This Kit is from the LM-HG Line from 1996.

spacer.png

It is difficult to find information about the Scale of this Kit but i hope it is a bit larger then the Real Grade (RG) Version that will be released this or next year to promote the Rebuild Of Evangelion 3.0+1.0 Movie that shall come out January 2021.

After Rewatching the Rebuild Movies shortly i ordered some of the old ANGEL Model Kits from the same Series, also from Bandai, hope they will arrive during the next days....

Edited by Reelyator
typo
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, Reelyator said:

Today i got i an old Bandai Kit of EVA Unit 00 from the classic Anime Series NEON GENESIS EVANGELION. This Kit is from the LM-HG Line from 1996.

spacer.png

It is difficult to find information about the Scale of this Kit but i hope it is a bit larger then the Real Grade (RG) Version that will be released this or next year to promote the Rebuild Of Evangelion 3.0+1.0 Movie that shall come out January 2021.

After Rewathing the Rebuild Movies shortly i ordered some of the old ANGEL Model Kits from the same Series, also from Bandai, hope they will arrive during the next days....

Apparently it's around 25cm tall when completed. Are those 2 extra figures in scale with the rest of it? Can't quite remember how big a person should be in comparison to an EVA!

Edited by TheVoidDragon
  • Like 1

@TheVoidDragon: The figures that come with this Kit are definitely not in scale with the rest. Rei is about 7 cm high but the Entry Plug is significantly shorter....pretty uncomfortable for poor Rei...

• Like 1

EVA scale seems a bit flexible, but they're a lot bigger than Gundam suits. 20cm high - maybe 1/350? Apparently in the Rebuild movies they're consistently 80m tall so that would be about right. I have an LMHG Unit 1 which looks pretty nice in the box, the new RG kits are much more poseable and have more colour separation in the parts, but that might make them harder to build as models, since you end up with panel lines which shouldn't be there.

I had a parcel from Amiami today containing Hasegawa's new Cordoba kit from Crusher Joe. It's nice but the box is vastly too big for the handful of frames inside! The other kits in the line (Fighter 1&2, Minerva) were packed with stuff by comparison, but I guess they're more complex shapes. Cordoba is basically a big pickle with turrets and spikes :) You get two hull halves, a frame of external parts and two duplicate frames with the stand and some small parts. Surface detail is very nice and should look great with a careful wash, and there are several small-scale craft to go with it which is a nice touch. Overall it's *very* similar to Bandai's EX kits of the various Gundam carriers.

It also contained the reissue of Kotobukiya's HMM Lighting Saix (Cheetah Zoid) which is full to the brim with bits and looks ace.

Will

• Thanks 1

On 11/11/2020 at 02:24, Will Vale said:

EVA scale seems a bit flexible,... - maybe 1/350? Apparently in the Rebuild movies they're consistently 80m tall so that would be about right. ...

Hi Will,

I agree witth you, Scales of Bandais Evangelion Kits are a bit challenging as there is no real "Original" for calculating the scale. For curiosity: How big is your LM-HG EVA-01? Around 25 cm??

I have the Perfect Grade Version (unfinished), HLJ states a Figure size of 35 cm and one of the Kit Reviews on YouTube states that this correspond to ~1/60 Scale.

The RG Kits that come out now are around 18 cm tall and i think i read somewere that this should correspond to ~1/144 Scale.

For my clumbsy hands the small RG´s are a bit too small, therefore i prefer the older but larger HG´s. Assuming that they are all araound 25 cm tall, this is maybe more around 1/100 than 1/350...

Edited by Reelyator
corrected information source (Scale of Perfect Grade Kit)

Recently arrived are the Green Strawberry sets for the 1/1000 Defiant and Enterprise B along with the set for the 1/1400 Enterprise D and the Arboretum for the 1/350 Enterprise Refit. I've also just seen that they've released a set for the 1/350 Bird of Prey which unfortunately I'm going to have to buy. Along with the undercarriage detail sets for the 1/32 Viper Mk.II. Now if only GS would think about some detail sets for the 1/72 Space 1999 Eagle. Like, I don't know, a resin cockpit and pod interior and perhaps some movable landing gear? :wink:

On 14/11/2020 at 17:07, Nocoolname said:

.... Along with the undercarriage detail sets for the 1/32 Viper Mk.II. ...

I wish they would offer some PE Boarding Ladders that suit to the 1/32 Scale Vipers from Moebius Models. Similar to the Star Wars Hangar Bay Equipment that they offer in 1/72 Scale.

On 11/11/2020 at 2:18 PM, Reelyator said:

How big is your LM-HG EVA-01? Around 25 cm??

I haven't built mine but Hobby Search says 23cm so that's about right.

On 11/11/2020 at 2:18 PM, Reelyator said:

I have the Perfect Grade Version (unfinished), HLJ states a Figure size of 35 cm and one of the Kit Reviews on YouTube states that this correspond to ~1/60 Scale.

The RG Kits that come out now are around 18 cm tall and i think i read somewere that this should correspond to ~1/144 Scale.

I think the confusion stems from two sources - the first being that Eva scales vary a bit in the animation depending on what looked good in a particular scene. The rebuild movies standardised on 80m which is the upper end of that scale.

The second is that the kits have been released as part of Bandai's existing Gundam "something-grade" lines, which mostly have a particular scale. And people assume that the Evas are the same scale as the mobile suits they're used to, but they aren't!

* Perfect Grade (PG) Gundam models are all 1:60 scale, a typical mobile suit is about 35cm tall. (21m)
* High Grade (HG) and Real Grade (RG) Gundam models are mostly 1:144 scale and a typical mobile suit is 15cm tall. (21.6m)

Evas are more like box scale kits, the model comes out about the same size as the same-grade Gundam (maybe a bit taller and thinner) so the scale is a quite different, but at least consistent for each line.

* PG Eva Unit 1 is 35cm tall so probably the scale is around 1:250.
* LMHG Eva Unit 1 is 23cm tall, so the scale is around 1:350.
* RG Eva Unit 1 is 17.5cm so probably about 1:450.

I think the LMHG kits were a bit of an offshoot and they probably found they had to make the RG Eva smaller to deal with all the extra colour separation? They're already on the big side for RG kit boxes.

There are some weird things on the Gundam side too, like the line of 1:550 Mobile Armour kits called "HG Mechanics".

Cheers,

Will

• Thanks 1

Thank you Will!

For curiosity: What is Hobby Search?? Up to now i have used scalemates.com as my main information source about model kits but they don not have much information about Evangelion Kit Dimensions. HLJ is also not very helpfull as they ofter list the box sizes instead of the model sizes.

Hobby Search (1999.co.jp) is a model shop in Japan who post overseas and have really thorough pictures of kit sprues, decals and manual pages.  Very useful! I suspect I just got lucky that they quoted a size though.

Other than the pictures, they have a machine translation of the manufacturer's product description, so it can have more info than Hobbylink Japan but be harder to read. I think HLJ used to write a snippet of information for every product but as they've got bigger they seem to care a bit less.

Cheers,

Will

....thank you Will! I will bookmark this site.

The pictures of the sprues are indeed interesting. Unfortunately i do not see much information about Figure Dimensions. The examples i checked had mostly the dimensions of the box just like HLJ. But always good, to have a second imformation source available in you backhand!

Working on the completion of my Neon Genesis Evangelion Model Kit Collection i shortly receives some small parcels from Hong-Kong and Australia:

spacer.png

These are the 3rd and the 14th Angel (Sachiel and Zeruel) that appear in the TV Show and the following Rebuildt-Movies. Both are from Bandai´s LM Line wich means small figure with a limited amount of detail. But to my knowledge Bandai is the only manufacturer who has released any NGE-Angels at all. Sachiel is also available from the LM-HG Line wich is a tiny bit larger than this edition but even harder to get.

The last Angel to complete this Family is Bardiel wich i have on Backorder at HLJ. This is just a sligtly modified version of EVA Unit 03. But i still hope it will be restocked in a not too distant future.

• Like 1

A pair of Maschinen kreiger Fighting suits in 1/35th by Hobby base. A Prowler and a Fireball SG.

A quick look shows they are prepainted resin with a shiny finish and a couple of bits to fit to finish them.

TBH I'm not sure where I can use them, so may sell them on. Interested parties form an orderly queue!

So why did I buy them? This stuff is rare on the bay, so I grabbed them before they disappeared!

• Like 1

On 30/11/2020 at 22:05, Pete in Lincs said:

....So why did I buy them? This stuff is rare on the bay, so I grabbed them before they disappeared!

I had a similar bad buy a while ago when i thoiught i had made a magificant deal with a Ma.K. Firefly from Tenbowkissa. But then i realized when it arrived that it was a 1/76 scale, not the 1/20 i was used to😒

2 minutes ago, Reelyator said:

I had a similar bad buy a while ago

Ah, they were not so much a bad buy as a victim of curiosity. I wanted to see what they were like in the 'resin' and the price (to me) was good.

I dislike paying over the odds, and, as I said, this stuff is rare on the bay anyway. I do have to say that I prefer the larger scales in Ma.k though.

More opportunity to add detail. Isn't that what it's all about?  The 1/76th would be way too small for me too. 

Does Real Space stuff count in this thread? If so, this beast just landed here!

50671713512_c79d6df86b_b.jpgMonogram kit half by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

I read a book on the first Shuttle flight ("Into the Black" - Rowland White) during the first lockdown which was excellent and something in my modelling head went twannng - I need to build a 1/72 space shuttle!

Cheers,
Dermot

• Like 5

On 02/12/2020 at 12:34, Dermo245 said:

Does Real Space stuff count in this thread? ...

....Nice!

There is a decicated Real Space Sub-Forum but to my knowledge with no comparable "What Stuff did the Postman deliver" thread.

• Like 1

...well, actually not delivered by the postman TODAY but over the last days i have received some company for Reis EVA 00: EVA 02 and EVA 03, both again from Bandais LM-HG Line.

spacer.png

As the Decals and Stickers from the LM-HG Line are pretty basic i also ordered me some Detail-Up Waterslide Decals dedicated for EVA-00- 01 and -02 as well as some general NGE and NERV Decals from China.

spacer.png

The model dedicated decals (the 3 on top) are designed for the RG-Line wich i expect to be a tiny bit smaller than for the LM-HG Line but i could not find any decals specifically for the LM-HG Range. They should still work for my Kits as the size difference is not that huge.

I have built the AMT ERTL Millennium Falcon before and cut down the side walls... cut down the antenna dish... modified the cockpit windows etc and was happy with that...

Recently I've picked up another and this Blue Moon upgrade set. The previous version is gear up flying so this one will be grounded with the boarding ramp down etc. There are more accurate falcons out there but I do like the fun of making what you can from this kit... it's more like how the original models were made. ;)

DSC_0198 copy

• Like 3

Nice. Love Masterbox and the Abby normal stuff they produce. The Tiberious “Ty” Constellation Hackington III and Laurie “Lightning Bolt” Barnes  look rather good as well.. 

• Like 1