what scifi stuff has the postman delivered to you today?

Got this as a surprise present from the good lady:

image.jpg

Absolutely excellent book with fantastic cutaways and artwork.

A book I dreamed of as a child! :)

• Like 6

I have the Anderson Cross-Sections book 

https://www.amazon.com/Supermarionation-Cross-sections-Revealing-Machinery-Andersons/dp/1842224115/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1506960930&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=anderson+crossections

(Wow, it has really gone up in price since I bought it)

But I plan on buying the new Haynes book as well- I have the others in the series (Thunderbirds, Falcon, Klingon BoP, Deathstar, Falcon) and they have a welth if information past just vehicle illustrations- well researched and a very good read!

Got these for my birthday, on the 5th.

2017-10-08_04-42-11

Box set of the dresden files. Been asking for it for years. 

2017-10-08_04-45-21

Also one of these cracking little Discworld figures. 

Matt

Edited by S5 modeller
  • Like 4

I’ve read all the Harry Dresden books, but not seen any of the series; you will have to report back on this one for us. And you got a Soul Music Death shredding on Imp’s guitar - how cool is that (Pathway To Paradise obviously)!

Edited by The Chief Smeg
  • Like 2

I've not read all the dresden books, but I've read a majority of them, and I saw the series when it originally aired in 2007. Watched the first 4 episodes Friday night, and so far I can't tie any of them down to a specific book. The show is good though, although there seems to be less use of magic than in the books, he is more psychic in the show, than a magician. 

I got the Captain Scarlet Haynes book last week as well but today the Parcelfarce bloke arrived with this monster...

DSC_8819.JPG

Opening this enormous box I immediately noticed that it was nowhere near full of plastic, in fact I'd say its less than half full... so why the gigantic box? (as if I didn't know!)

DSC_8820.JPG

That said this is still a big model

DSC_8822.JPG

Have I finally caught the Star Wars models bug? Nah, will take a lot more for me to catch up with Warren :)

• Like 2

I liked the Dresden TV series and the books. 

And I've just started to re-read the Discworld books from the begining.

As for Star Wars, I almost bought a Millenium Falcon at the weekend.

Car boot sale, AMT Falcon with interior detail. But, it was open, so no

telling how much was missing. Also, where do I put it? If I go again

this Sunday & he still has it I my take another look.

There's an unopened one on the bay for nearly seventy quid! This one was cheaper.

He also had an opened Star Trek Enterprise bridge.

That one was, he said, missing a few parts.

• Like 1

On ‎09‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 1:44 PM, Kallisti said:

I got the Captain Scarlet Haynes book last week as well but today the Parcelfarce bloke arrived with this monster...

DSC_8819.JPG

Opening this enormous box I immediately noticed that it was nowhere near full of plastic, in fact I'd say its less than half full... so why the gigantic box? (as if I didn't know!)

DSC_8820.JPG

That said this is still a big model

DSC_8822.JPG

Have I finally caught the Star Wars models bug? Nah, will take a lot more for me to catch up with Warren :)

Hi Mr P

I know you are not too much of a 3D believer but there are some really good bits on Shapeways for this kit that will take the completed kit into another league - the kits engines are wrong and the deflector shield domes are also crap - and then there is a beautiful hangar bay in 3D too. Falcon 3D models also do some nice stuff, slightly more expensive but they use a stronger material - either make come highly recommended

Purchased as a used item from Amazon but arrived as a Brand New Book ! - not bad for £29 instead of the usual £40+ price tag

20171010_162408 (002)

20171010_162431 (002)

20171010_162512 (002)

20171010_162621 (002)

wow - this is a beautiful publication

Hats off to Lorne

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Richard Baker said:

https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=278682

Trying to get the Hangar Bay set myself.

TonyRR at Shapeways has a great replacement spine-back with great detail

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/308bits?section=Star+Destroyer+Zvesda+1%2F2700&s=0

Hi Richard

I've used both the suppliers for my Zvezda twins that are in the WIP section. the Falcon 3D engine set is brilliant but they had not released their hangar set when I went about shopping for mine and ended up with Tony's from Shapeways - its brilliant and includes the TIE fighter launch shute. He scaled one up as a custom job for my Randy Cooper ISD and then scaled up his engine set for the same kit

Absolute brilliant quality and very much worth the investment if you have the spare cash

I was planning on rebuilding the Hangar Bay myself since the kit one is too shallow and missing some details but I want to finish the kit sometime this year. I am currently adding details to the superstructure pieces and opening up the side access bays (adding some BFGs and TIE launch racks.With all of that going on I need to take a couple of shortcuts.

I am building only one large Star Destroyer- it is a shame Bandai is slow in releasing theirs, but the Zvezda kit is a nice size, proportionally accurate and builds up great!

Side Superstructure TIE Bay:

pvlXNsX.jpg

Some tiny TIEs:

VSug0os.jpg

• Like 1

epic - another ISD fine detailer - top marks to you - here's my attempt to detail up the forward TIE hangar on the Randy 1/1500 ISD - had great fun and added fibre too - good luck with your kit

DSCF6916_zpspq8re8aw

DSCF6932_zpswphy1m0c

DSCF7117

DSCF7154

• Like 1

Beautiful work on that forward bay!

I plan on doing something similar on mine, haven't gotten it thought out yet.

I had notices there were these small rectangular doors scattered on the sides and front of the superstructure- I decided they are special use bays and each ship outfits them as needed for it's mission profile. I am opening up some and adding scanners, BFGs and of course some TIE Hangars (rapid deployment/point defense).

This si such a wonderful kit- it deserves to be taken that extra step I feel

• Thanks 1

Just arrived from Japan, a  couple of Yamato 2199 1:1000 Bandai kits.

87qk6vf.jpg

Will be adding lights to both at some stage, probably the Assault Carrier first!

• Like 4

OODEENEEE - Post man's been... Lots of 'em, fresh from their 1997 packaging arrives this little family of grubby little desert dwellers for my WIP Sand Crawler. Just looking at them leaves me remembering that Cor-Anglais solo Jawa theme from ANHope.

Jawa1

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 09/10/2017 at 7:20 PM, Pete in Lincs said:

And I've just started to re-read the Discworld books from the begining.

Can't beat a bit of Pratchett! I've lost count of the times of read, and re-read, the Discworld novels. 

Now if only I could get my windows 10 laptop to play the Discworld game I still have hanging around, I'd be a happy bunny. 

• Like 2