Airfix 1/48 Canberra B.2........where's the 70s camouflage decals?

SeaVenom

For years now I've been looking to finish my Canberra off in a typical RAF 70s camouflage scheme with blue and red roundels but there seems like absolutely nothing about when it comes to decals. I've seen many foreign Canberra colour schemes but incredibly nothing 70s RAF. The only one I've seen is the yellow and black striped underside version which I don't want.

Even Airfix's latest reissue doesn't have any. The mond boggles!

• Like 1

By the 70's RAF Canberra B.2's were becoming rare in their original form. 231 OCU appear to have had some up to the late 80's and which ended up with 360 Sqn TT18's were conversions of B.2s and served with 7 and 100 Sqn. They do not seem to be popular with decal manufacturers working in 1/48th.

The one thing that is missing and I can't understand why given it was the biggest operator of the type in the 80's up to the early 90's is the "Tatty Ton" 100 Sqn. Apart from the CA TT.18. I can't think of any in 1/48 only the excellent Modeldecal covering all Wyton's Canberra's in 1/72 If only that was scaled up!

John

The one thing that is missing and I can't understand why given it was the biggest operator of the type in the 80's up to the early 90's is the "Tatty Ton" 100 Sqn. Apart from the CA TT.18. I can't think of any in 1/48 only the excellent Modeldecal covering all Wyton's Canberra's in 1/72 If only that was scaled up!

John

Let me see what I can do John...:-)

XVTonker

• Like 1

I can't think of any in 1/48 only the excellent Modeldecal covering all Wyton's Canberra's in 1/72 If only that was scaled up!

John

Which I've just got with a High Planes kit, and is very nice!

There are certainly plenty of camo options for the bubble top Canberras in the 70s & 80s, as most of the above squadrons operated the type for training and support, this includes B.2s, PR.7s and E.15s all in standard camo with light grey undersides, and nice unit markings.

Of course what we really need is a decent B.2/6 kit in 72nd & 48th!

Let me see what I can do John...:-)

XVTonker

I'm waiting XVTonker :)

Which I've just got with a High Planes kit, and is very nice!

There are certainly plenty of camo options for the bubble top Canberras in the 70s & 80s, as most of the above squadrons operated the type for training and support, this includes B.2s, PR.7s and E.15s all in standard camo with light grey undersides, and nice unit markings.

Of course what we really need is a decent B.2/6 kit in 72nd & 48th!

I'm with you all the way James!

John

By the 70's RAF Canberra B.2's were becoming rare in their original form. 231 OCU appear to have had some up to the late 80's and which ended up with 360 Sqn TT18's were conversions of B.2s and served with 7 and 100 Sqn. They do not seem to be popular with decal manufacturers working in 1/48th.

Hmm. I came across a photo a while back which claimed they were B.2's with the scheme I was looking for but maybe they weren't B.2's? I know it's a simulation but this is the type of scheme I'm looking for............

http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?221491-NEW!-Freeware-English-Electric-Canberra-B-2-For-FS9

Says it's a B.2 but I can't seem to find any real life photo's of this aircraft if it's real.

I produced some decals for 1960's & 70's Canberra's a while back. What subject do you have in mind?

XVTonker

Not quite sure at the moment. All depends whether I can use the Airfix kit for the scheme I want.

100 Sqn. still had two B.2's right up till almost the end in the Dark Green, Dark Sea Grey, Light Aircraft Grey, with blue and Red tactical roundels.

Thanks. The top aircraft seems to be from 100sqn? That looks like a promising scheme.