Airfix 1/48 Canberra B.2........where's the 70s camouflage decals?

SeaVenom

If it was a Canberra, then it was dirty....fuselage inboard of the engines was particularly bad, facing one of the starter exhaust ports...got worse in the summer when the muck would bake on.....

I've got an Airfix B2 to do, along with a T4 conversion set, planning on doing '188, nice and bright in red 'n white. .....and muck !!

Hope I've helped,

cheers

Dave

If it was a Canberra, then it was dirty....fuselage inboard of the engines was particularly bad, facing one of the starter exhaust ports...got worse in the summer when the muck would bake on.....

I've got an Airfix B2 to do, along with a T4 conversion set, planning on doing '188, nice and bright in red 'n white. .....and muck !!

Hope I've helped,

cheers

Dave

Great. Nothing like getting down to a bit of weathering. Probably my favourite part of the process.

You can SV the kit as it comes definitely looks like a Canberra out of the box, but the kit has issues that, if you feel it's necessary would benefit from a bit of attention, take a look at my B.2 build, all is applicable to the aircraft you intend to build except the fuel vent mast mod. http://ipmscanberrasig.webs.com/apps/forums/topics/show/12807080-a-b-2-for-uncle-sam- I've also now discovered the tail bumper is in the wrong place and the vent mast!

John

The Airfix Canberra is one of their 'B team' kits, hence the comments at the beginning of the thread.

The worst thing for me is the fictitious tailplane positioning and detail which I find hard to correct.

The kit is designed to cover many variants so there are various panel lines that need to be corrected for the mark being modelled.

Personally I reckon best to fill all panel lines and rescribe the ones you can see in your reference shots, as the Canberra can be quite smooth in apearance.

Some of the smaller detail parts are quite nice, and I think the only kit that supplies both types of wheels.

The Classic Airframes one looks far more accurate completed, but is harder to build.

It obviously looks like a Canberra as built from the box, but definitely follow Johns advice for a well finished one.

Edited by 71chally

Thanks both but I'm too lazy to do any mods now and it's all glued up anyway. I was aware of some of the kits inaccuracies etc but it's interesting to read what John did (nice build too).

I think I'll be happy with it looking like a B.2 (for the most part).

• Like 1

I'm sure you will build a fine looking Canberra, there was a recent build on here of a 1950s era B.2 using the Airfix B(I).8 kit which is very nice, here http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235003548-airfix-aeroclub-canberra-b2-wh640/

Thanks for the heads up on this James I was following the build but missed the finally!

John

• 1 year later...

Apologies for resurrecting such an old thread, I found it when Googling for 1/48 100 sqn Canberra decals, circa 1987. The closest was the Xtradecal set but they're for even longer ago!

At some point in the next few months after moving house I'm hoping to build an Airfix 1/48 Canberra B.2 in 80s 100 Sqn markings, with the white codes each side of the roundel. Does anyone know of any suitable decals?

Also, if I had to make it as a PR.7, are there any major differences visually (bearing in mind I'm not into massive detail, rivets, etc)?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lord Riot said:

Apologies for resurrecting such an old thread, I found it when Googling for 1/48 100 sqn Canberra decals, circa 1987. The closest was the Xtradecal set but they're for even longer ago!

At some point in the next few months after moving house I'm hoping to build an Airfix 1/48 Canberra B.2 in 80s 100 Sqn markings, with the white codes each side of the roundel. Does anyone know of any suitable decals?

Also, if I had to make it as a PR.7, are there any major differences visually (bearing in mind I'm not into massive detail, rivets, etc)?

unfortunately there are none available other than in the TT.18 boxing of the Classic Airframes kit, I don't know why? I would have thought 100 Sqn would have been a dead sert! AS for the PR.7 How have two choices, kit bash like me or the nice Alley Cat conversion. The main difference is the forward fuselage plug for the cameras and the flaire bay and forward fuel cell.v5qGNe.jpg

v5gyQF.jpg

v5gdrM.jpg

v5qmoX.jpg

John

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the info John. I might have to have a rethink then if there are no suitable decals. It's odd that nobody does any in 1/48 for 100 sqn isn't it.

Those Canberras look absolutely superb by the way! 

• Thanks 1