Wingnut Wings going live on Wetaworkshop

Beardie

never seen it myself. Read the Tolkein books when I was a plooky youf but never got too into them. Still I gather the chap is a modeller and he has done a bang up job of bringing top quality to WWI aircraft modelling albeit at a price.

Read the trilogy once, cover to cover, in a weekend.....Never looked at it since. :mellow:

Looking at what you get in the boxes, they don't seem to be charging the earth.....God they are tempting, but can I really justify £250+ for something I may never actually get out of the box? :rolleyes:

Ah but they are fun even just to read the booklet and study/admire the plastic and, being a truly limited run as WnW state they will never re-release a kit once sold out they are Limited edition and may increase in value and at the very least shouldn't depreciate much.

:devil: Just playing devils advocate here :devil:

It took me the last two years to come to terms with the price. I have always hunted the cheapest half -decent kits I could find and the idea of spending lots of loot on something I might ruin and have to chuck out deterred me from shelling out the moolah for Wingnut kits. Eventually I came to the conclusion that, If I want to create really good models of WWI aircraft I would have to bite the bullet and just be extra careful about doing it right first time rather my traditional style of charging through several copies of a kit getting a little bit better results each time. :mental:

The Roland is a beauty.

The price and final cost of building them is probably 1.5 to 2 times cost price by the time you factor in paint, glue,aftermarket parts etc.

The end result though is better than anything else out there.

Just take your time and do not rush them.

• Like 1

Shakey

I agree with your overall assesment of the kits - I am just finsihing the Roland CII (Early) at the moment - but I am not so sure that AM is an 'essential' for these kits and thus increasing the cost by potentially 50%?

I got sucked into the 'engine detail' superdetailing mindset with minute super-detailed resin springs/rocker covers etc. and whilst they look fabulous in photographs in magazines and online model making sites using optics that would rival those of a bird of prey, looking through the old human Mk 1 eyeball,(personally) I cannot see any significant difference.

Each to their own of course but I think a magnificent model can be built OOTB with just a good paintjob, careful decal application, a bit of rigging and a modicum of weathering as everything is in the box that you need anyway.

Cheers.

Gary

Edited by redcap
  • Like 1

Gary it's funny you should say that. I was in communication with one of our members from New Zealand (hairystick) and was telling him that an email I got from Wingnut Wings said they would 'Definitely not be reissuing the Sold-Out kits in the form they are in but do have plans for release at an unspecified date of 'De-luxe' versions of the kits with Diorama accessories and a 200 piece photo-etch detailiing set' he said he relayed this info to the chap at his local model shop over in NZ who deals in Wingnut Kits and he was apparently astounded as, in his opinion PE was more likely to spoil a Wingnut kit than improve it and I tend to agree. I have been trying to do a bit of 'super detailing' on the Roden Albatros I am building and must admit that I actually felt a bit angry closing the fellow up after wiring up the spark plus and doing various other detailing for it all to disappear and I suddenly found myself wondering just why I had bothered.

Beardie - I agree mate.

I also super detailed the inside of a couple with all the control lines and wires from fuel pumps and gauges etc. just to see it all disapear through a tiny 1cm wide gap as soon as the fuselauge halves came together. Personally, I am not a fan of the "ahhhh.....but I know it's there though" school of thought; but each to their own.

Also, just look at the real things in air museums, etc. They are so primative and basic that often, models seemingly have more detail that the real thing! Likewise with OTT weathering as by and large, they lasted days or even hours at the front before they crashed, came down as a fireball or ended up being canibalised for parts.

Gary

• Like 1

I decided that I was going to try the super detailing to challenge myself and how good a modeller I was but by the end I just thought 'What a waste' I must admit I am not a fan of the excessively heavy weathering that I often see online and at shows either. To me it gives things a sort of cartoony look that reminds me of computer games rather than real world military equipment. I like to think that I am aiming to build my models the way the pilots who flew them wanted to see them, all shiny and impressive steeds not battered old workhorses and I certainly agree that on average not many lasted long enough to become tatty and ground crews seemed to like to do their bit and keep them nice/ patch them up well.

• Like 2

I decided that I was going to try the super detailing to challenge myself and how good a modeller I was but by the end I just thought 'What a waste' I must admit I am not a fan of the excessively heavy weathering that I often see online and at shows either. To me it gives things a sort of cartoony look that reminds me of computer games rather than real world military equipment. I like to think that I am aiming to build my models the way the pilots who flew them wanted to see them, all shiny and impressive steeds not battered old workhorses and I certainly agree that on average not many lasted long enough to become tatty and ground crews seemed to like to do their bit and keep them nice/ patch them up well.

A man after my own heart! couldn't agree more Beardie.

• Like 3

More factors to take into account when determining final price (in the US): shipping is higher that "normal" - about 33% higher than postal/UPS rates; shipping is stacked, that is, no discount for multiple kits.

So the end of free WNW shipping combined with WETA charges amount to a 25% increase of a $70 kit for me.

Gene K

That's not good. I can't help but think that it puts the kits even further out of the reach of the average modeller. OK the kits don't come up often on the second hand market but they do come up and are, generally, cheaper than the kits are costing new once VAT etc. is factored in. I can understand the kits being expensive due to quality, development costs etc. etc. but it is a limited market and, when the money is tight kits will be recycled from one person to another before new kits are bought. I also notice they aren't exactly pushed on the Weta site and you have to scout for them. It all suggests that the interest of the owners may be waning somewhat although I really do hope this is not the case.

• Like 1

You know Beardie, I wondered the same as let's be honest, Sir Peter Jackson who is the money behind this venture with WNW can't exactly be rearranging the business to squeeze every last penny out of us modellers or pay bills can he. As soon as it was announced 'Weta' were joining the food chain and the free post was going I reckoned on a hike of at least 25% and that of course was before the £ started it's currently poor run against the $. I went through the process the other evening just to see what the figures were like at the checkout stage and they make for sobering reading - i.e. (roughly) convert the $US price into £GBP and then add between (another) £5 for singles or £20+ for the larger kits and you have an idea on the real delivery cost of the kits is. I also believe that there is no 'combined' post facility so you pay a set sum (per) kit which is really outrageous given they will be operating a cheap as chips business post deal with a company where the extra kits posted will only add pennies (literally) for Weta to their own operating costs.

The days of 'cheap' or 'bargain price' for what they are WNW kits are well and truly over I suspect. Why Weta got in on the deal I have no idea as WNW as a direct to door company were unbeatable in this hobby and on the couple of occasions when I had duff parts or on one occasion the completely wrong kit was sent out, their customer services via Dave Johnson was exemplary.

At the risk of being pessimistic, this business move to engage Weta in the physical supply of the kits along with the fact that the number of kits going O.O.P in the last couple of years exceeds the new ones being released, does make you wonder if the initial passion and productivity of the kits and for the hands on control of their 'baby' is wavering somewhat?

I hope to goodness I am (completely) wrong on that!

Gary

Hi Gary it does really seem like the project is not as important, or perhaps not as successful as they hoped. Certainly it seems to me that, from a business point of view they aren't exactly trying very hard. When I think about it I currently have eleven of their kits and not one of them put a single pound of new money into the company as they are all second hand because the disparity between the prices in the second hand market and the new prices is too large. The only new kits I have bought are a Rumpler that I bought from hannants just before they hiked the price up by £20 and two from ebay sellers. I bought the feetoobee(late) for £93 posted new from an ebay seller which is five pounds less than the base price on Weta before you add the shipping and VAT and an OOP Albatros D.Va for £90 posted.

Speaking of kits selling out I see that the Albatros D.Va(OAW) kit is now listed as 'Low stock' on Weta so I am guessing that it will sell out soon.

It is a difficult one this. Every one wants a bargain but every one wants an endless supply of hyper quality kits. The research and set up costs must have been very large and I wonder if the price of each kit has recovered this outlay? I have bought two kits both direct from WNW New Zealand I really have no problems with the price that I have been charged, I don't really don't mind the import duty to a point - I am not happy with the bloody handling charge put on by the post office.

The time of the WNW kit will pass - everything does come to an end but paying the price does help surely to keep it going no?

• Like 1

I would happily pay the price and I do think they are worth it but economics intervenes and, if I want to get as many as I can on a limited budget I have to hunt out the cheapest option on each kit. The difficulty is that the kits have increased considerably in price in a very short time, not helped by the weakening of the pound and at the same time the generally poor bidding on kits that have come up on ebay over the last couple of months suggests that demand is not high enough (even on Sold Out kits) to entice people to spend their cash on the kits. The company should recoup it's development, production and staff costs but at the same time you have to read your market and not price yourself out even if you are worth it.

There are bizarre exceptions. I bought the Albatros D.V (*sold out' kit) from a fellow BM'er for £110 or it might have been £115 including shipping and one apparently went a day or two ago on ebay having been 'slightly started' and, according to the listing, missing the cylinder jackets for £144.

I understand Beardie, it is a conundrum supply and demand will always win out. I will keep mine and enjoy them and try not to succumb to the feeling for the need to collect them. ;-)

Hah it is a devil of a thing. I know I can pick up a Roden kit or a Special hobby etc. any time I want them but the Wingnuts are against the clock. Personally I predict that the Se5a, Bristol F.2b and Junkers J.1 as well as the Albatros D.Va(OAW) will be sold out by the end of the year if not sooner. Fortunately the only one of those that I really need is the J.1 as I already have the Se5a and Bristol and a D.Va. I don't have the OAW variant but I can live without it if I don't get one.

Has anyone bought from Wetaworkshop since they opened for Wingnut business? If so what sort of time does it take for them to reach the UK?

Just about to pull the pin and pick up a Snipe and maybe a couple more in the next week or so.