Wingnut Wings going live on Wetaworkshop

Beardie

I see that things are finally moving at Winguts and they are now on the Wetaworkshop site (prices in Euros) although it took a bit of finding. Need to do some price converting to see what they are coming in at but looks a bit less than Hannants.

The prices look a bit more inviting now, roughly £59.50 for a SE5a & £263.03 for the Felixstow/Hansa-Brandenburg W.29 Duellists set. Funny enough the set used to go for about £365 on a well known model website, now it is unavailable on there.

I have just noticed on ebay, there are a few kits listed as OOP and have silly start prices, I think you'll find most are still available.

Edited by Sean1968

I have seen a few people advertising WnW kits as OOP for quite high prices on ebay which are still available. I suppose you could give them the benefit of the doubt and say that they have checked the WnW website and seen that nothing was available to buy and therefore assumed they all must be OOP but if you are uncharitable you could say that they have been taking advantage of the lack of availability from WnW direct to cash in.

I did a comparison between the Wetaworkshop price and the Hannants price for a Junkers J.1 and it is listed as £30 more on Hannants than it is posted from Wetaworkshops.

For UK purchases, you will need to add VAT to the listed Euro price plus shipping and then convert to £. I calculate a single seater at £83.50 and a 'cheap' double seater at £116, assuming VAT is charged on shipping. I didn't complete checkout, so it may be that shipping is VAT free, in which case I calculate that a single seater is about £82.

Hmmm that is something I overlooked. If they are being shipped from a UK warehouse should VAT not already be included in the price or is the fact that, even though they are coming from a UK warehouse the transaction happens with a New Zealand company. Complicated. I didn't check out myself but at the end of the process up to pressing the Paypal button the price was coming to 107.41 Euros plus 12.22 Euros shipping.

Hmmm that is something I overlooked. If they are being shipped from a UK warehouse should VAT not already be included in the price or is the fact that, even though they are coming from a UK warehouse the transaction happens with a New Zealand company. Complicated. I didn't check out myself but at the end of the process up to pressing the Paypal button the price was coming to 107.41 Euros plus 12.22 Euros shipping.

It says under the price in small font "excludes applicable taxes". Easy to miss.

Well according to the wetaworkshop site "Shipping now from our US, UK & NZ warehouses.". I kind of assumed that where it says 'excludes applicable taxes' this would be if you are buying from your nearest shipping country but not resident in one of the countries where the warehouses are located. I have sent an email to wetaworkshops to see if they can give me an answer. If these prices are not inclusive of VAT then I will continue to purchase from my source who has kits for a very very reasonable price. Even less than the prices on Wetaworkshop if they are inclusive of VAT.

Well according to the wetaworkshop site "Shipping now from our US, UK & NZ warehouses.". I kind of assumed that where it says 'excludes applicable taxes' this would be if you are buying from your nearest shipping country but not resident in one of the countries where the warehouses are located. I have sent an email to wetaworkshops to see if they can give me an answer. If these prices are not inclusive of VAT then I will continue to purchase from my source who has kits for a very very reasonable price. Even less than the prices on Wetaworkshop if they are inclusive of VAT.

It actually looks like they add on 21% vat - I just went all the way through to "almost" buying to test - and the vat shown was 21% of the kit price plus the shipping.

From what I understood their European shipping point was in the Netherlands. If it was in the UK - surely they would also show a £ sterling option too?

Jonners

I had heard that they would be shipping from the Netherlands myself but it says in several places on the site UK,US and NZ warehouses so I guess things must have changed. It does puzzle me that they don't have a GBP option on their prices.

Hmmm I spoke too soon, just went onto the website again and lo and behold the prices are in pounds.

They also seem to have now removed the Paypal option for payment.

Hmmm so prices have gone up a bit. I paid £73 including courier shipping for a Pfalz D.III last week from an ebay shop. (Not direct from Wingnut or Weta) so saved myself £14 over what it would cost from Weta. Jings I only paid £93 delivered on the FE2b(late) from the same seller.and that's £97 plus post plus vat so around roughly £130 odd now. I have saved myself a fair few notes with a bit of canny hunting

Hi Nick,

The website is still there and apparently will remain but when you go to buy you will be redirected to wetaworkshop.

Sean depends how much you want to sell. Some I haven't seen in a while on ebay like the Sopwith Triplane might go well others I have been surprised to note haven't really sold for big bucks. Pretty much the money they cost new. Strikes me there isn't as much demand as I initially thought. For example two Fokker D.VII's were listed on ebay at £135 Buy It Now plus post and there were no takers. Re-listed at £110 BIN or Best Offer plus post they went in twenty minutes though I don't know if an offer was accepted or if someone paid the £110 each.

In light of my study of WnW kits on ebay I am starting to think that perhaps it was a smart move on WnW part not to produce more of the OOP kits as there is maybe not that great a market for them.

Being a miserable tight git I won't be buying from Wetaworkshop and instead will be hanging around ebay snapping up kits at better prices. Besides the hunt is part of the fun.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

That is the very people. If you look along the top you will see 'shop' click on that and scroll down and you will see a picture of Peter Jackson holding a model of a Pfalz and the Wingnut Wings logo. Also if you go to the Wingnut Wings website and select a kit it will take you from there to the Weta workshop site.

I don't know the connection between Sir Peter Jackson and Wetaworkshop but I am guessing they do special effects for his movies and sell merchandise related to his movies.

Here is a link to the Wingnut Wings shop page:

https://www.wetanz.com/brands/wingnut-wings

and here is the Wingnut Wings website products page:

http://www.wingnutwings.com/ww/modelkitsets